First Name
August
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
240Z RB26DETT,Glady Rubi, Model Y LR, 987 Cayman S
Occupation
Software security
Interesting, complexities in today's world.

"A lot of modern manual cars have “rev hang,” when the engine maintains speed even after the driver pushes in the clutch pedal. Normally, this unburned fuel would enter the combustion chamber, enriching the air-fuel mixture and increasing emissions. Holding the throttle open combusts the fuel, reducing emissions. To make a modern manual car that doesn’t do this while also meeting emissions requirements is hard. Rosler says it requires a lot of development work on calibration to achieve this."

https://www.motor1.com/features/710641/building-manual-cars-is-hard/

bpeckham

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2023 Z Performance 6MT Blue/Graphite
Thanks for sharing this video. It was an interesting watch. A few questions.

The VR30DDTT uses direct injection, so maybe it's a bit less susceptible to some of the problems mentioned here, but it's still a problem, right?

Second, and I've noticed this more in the Z than other MT cars I've owned. When I pass someone, I'll accelerate, pick up 10 or 15 mph quickly, pass the person, and then coast. It seems like the Z takes a *long* time to slow back to the previous speed. Is this also rev hang, or is the Z just really good at coasting?

Finally, does this impact AT cars at all? I guess the car's electronics also control transmission shifting, so there's an opportunity to coordinate everything, and I guess you don't ever really let off the gas during a shift, so no?

Jah_Happy

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2023 Z (Everest White, Performance, 6MT)
Interesting, complexities in today's world.

"A lot of modern manual cars have “rev hang,” when the engine maintains speed even after the driver pushes in the clutch pedal. Normally, this unburned fuel would enter the combustion chamber, enriching the air-fuel mixture and increasing emissions. Holding the throttle open combusts the fuel, reducing emissions. To make a modern manual car that doesn’t do this while also meeting emissions requirements is hard. Rosler says it requires a lot of development work on calibration to achieve this."

https://www.motor1.com/features/710641/building-manual-cars-is-hard/
Never really thought about this in all my manual cars, but it certainly is interesting. Im going to see if I notice it next time im driving lol.

zpro_fast

First Name
Jared
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2023 Nissan Z Manual
The Z definitely ‘hangs’. I thought it was a flywheel thing. The 350z had this but no where near as much.
Very easy to speed in this car. It doesn’t slow itself down much even when using gears to slow the car. Makes it easier to drive around town though. There’s less ‘eat’ on downshift.
If that’s a thing.
Great article / video. Makes me wonder what we could make if the only goal was efficiency/ power instead of emissions.

OP
OP
trackratZ

trackratZ

First Name
August
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
240Z RB26DETT,Glady Rubi, Model Y LR, 987 Cayman S
Occupation
Software security
The Z definitely ‘hangs’. I thought it was a flywheel thing. The 350z had this but no where near as much.
Very easy to speed in this car. It doesn’t slow itself down much even when using gears to slow the car. Makes it easier to drive around town though. There’s less ‘eat’ on downshift.
If that’s a thing.
Great article / video. Makes me wonder what we could make if the only goal was efficiency/ power instead of emissions.
Rev hang is smooth in certain situations, but can be frustrating when you're used to quick clutching and shifting on downshifts, esp double clutching. That non linear rubber band feeling, I'm still not liking it.