9AT jerks forward when stopping?

MCN1SMO

First Name
Matt (MC)
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
24 Z NISMO & #1 GTR NISMO
anyone noticing this? mine has always done this it gives a slight jerk forward at a stop sometimes in full auto D mode not manual ( not every time it stops just occasionally) almost like you are putting it in park but its still in drive. ive noticed it but it never really bothered me since it feels like how the DCT in my GTR sometimes does when coming to a stop.

I saw a few comments on facebook about it and some are taking theirs back to the dealer over it. im honestly not sure its really even a "issue" but just a weird 9AT characteristic. It is a bit odd thought when it happens as it makes you feel like your foot has come off the brake. its not accelerating or anything is just like a lurch forward. My theory is the car is trying to shift down to 1st at the very last second

whatever it is I think its probably software. I doubt its mechanical. the previous 9AT issue was for roll away in park so totally unrelated but one of the fixes was a software update. im wondering if that fix is causing it to make that jerk movement when it stops like its being held in place.

do you think its an issue or just how the 9AT sometimes behaves?

Last edited:

Go2ZZZ

First Name
Murdock
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Infiniti Q50, 2023 Nissan Z Preformance
anyone noticing this? mine has always done this it gives a slight jerk forward at a stop sometimes in full auto D mode not manual ( not every time it stops just occasionally) almost like you are putting it in park but its still in drive. ive noticed it but it never really bothered me since it feels like how the DCT in my GTR sometimes does when coming to a stop.

I saw a few comments on facebook about it and some are taking theirs back to the dealer over it. im honestly not sure its really even a "issue" but just a weird 9AT characteristic. It is a bit odd thought when it happens as it makes you feel like your foot has come off the brake. its not accelerating or anything is just like a lurch forward. My theory is the car is trying to shift down to 1st at the very last second

whatever it is I think its probably software. I doubt its mechanical. the previous 9AT issue was for roll away in park so totally unrelated but one of the fixes was a software update. im wondering if that fix is causing it to make that jerk movement when it stops like its being held in place.

Yes, I have felt this as well. There has been couple times though where it was so hard that I looked back and thought someone has rear ended.

cainen

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
FiestaST, TX3 Turbo, Tiguan R-Line, Proto Z
I haven't noticed it at all on mine. The only issue I have is that the very first shift when leaving my driveway from 1st to 2nd slips a bit. It's especially noticeable in sport mode. But once it's warmed up there's no issue.

I also think it goes too quickly back to auto mode when in manual sometimes. It should just stay in manual until I tell it otherwise. But that's just purely software.

Sometimes when in manual mode and coming to a stop it shifts by itself down to 2nd at the same time i'm doing it manually which results in the car going into 1st which makes the car lurch.

Otherwise I haven't noticed and dramas with the transmission.

OP
OP
MCN1SMO

MCN1SMO

First Name
Matt (MC)
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
24 Z NISMO & #1 GTR NISMO
I haven't noticed it at all on mine. The only issue I have is that the very first shift when leaving my driveway from 1st to 2nd slips a bit. It's especially noticeable in sport mode. But once it's warmed up there's no issue.

I also think it goes too quickly back to auto mode when in manual sometimes. It should just stay in manual until I tell it otherwise. But that's just purely software.

Sometimes when in manual mode and coming to a stop it shifts by itself down to 2nd at the same time i'm doing it manually which results in the car going into 1st which makes the car lurch.

Otherwise I haven't noticed and dramas with the transmission.
are you talking about like when you do the 1-2 shift the revs go up a maybe 1500rpm or so and then it shifts in like a 2 second delay? if so that seems normal on this Z too before its warmed up.

yea its designed to go back into auto quickly if you are just triggering the temporary manual mode with a paddle pull. if you want it to stay in manual just pull back on the console shifter once

cainen

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
are you talking about like when you do the 1-2 shift the revs go up a maybe 1500 or so and then it shifts in like a 2 second delay? if so that seems normal on this Z too before its warmed up.
Yeah, like a slipping clutch. Maybe a 1 second delay for me. It only happens once though, after that it seems fine.

Bucko

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2023 Z Permformance Black Diamond Pearl (Graphite)
Mine did this on a semi-regular basis. Maybe once or twice on a 10 mile drive in city traffic. It started doing this at around the 500 mile mark. It hasn’t done it for the past 2 or 3 weeks (probably a couple hundred miles). I’m currently at just a little over 1100 miles on the car. Hoping it doesn’t come back, and yes, I’ve always assumed it was software.

zwannabe

First Name
z-being
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
96 supra mk4, 2023 nissan z
Yes i felt this jerk at stops often and thought it was the firmware/software
part and was thinking of bringing it up when next time with dealer service.

the jerk is relative powerful and startling, it should be considered an issue for nissan to solve.

Last edited:

TKAZ

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2003 350Z
Mine lurches when I'm slowing down ahead of a red light. It's pretty startling.

I also noticed a message pop up about parking assistance while I was just waiting at a light today. Weird.

I only have 40 miles on mine, fwiw.

cainen

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
I also noticed a message pop up about parking assistance while I was just waiting at a light today. Weird.
Yep that has happened to me on occasion. Sitting there minding my own business and suddenly the parking sensor goes off for a couple of seconds.

Brock

First Name
Brock
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Nissan 370z
I would recommend taking to your local Nissan dealer, and let them do a diagnostic. This way they set up a ticket that’s sent to Nissan, and then if enough people experience this same situation. They can come up with a solution. Also I would like to know if anyone has experienced an unlocking problem. Twice now, I’ve tried to unlock the driver side door. Nothing happens! But, if I go to the passenger side, and unlock the door. The driver side starts to work.

shameful

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2023 Z
I've been getting the stopping lurch as well. I like the idea of bringing it up to maintenance next time I have the car in. Just hit 1000 (now nearly 1400) over the weekend.

never had an issue unlocking though

First Name
Titan
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2023 Z
My 2023 Z is lurching right before it comes to a complete stop. It does it about half the time in all situations. The lurch is powerful and I have thought someone rear-ended at times. The problem seems independent of transmission temperature. The car has about 2500 miles on it now. I was waiting to see if the computer system was “learning” and the car would clear up on its own but it actually seems to be lurching more and harder. I just made a service appointment. Will report back

TKAZ

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2003 350Z
My 2023 Z is lurching right before it comes to a complete stop. It does it about half the time in all situations. The lurch is powerful and I have thought someone rear-ended at times. The problem seems independent of transmission temperature. The car has about 2500 miles on it now. I was waiting to see if the computer system was “learning” and the car would clear up on its own but it actually seems to be lurching more and harder. I just made a service appointment. Will report back
Thanks! Appreciate it.

I wonder if this is something that can be reported in the Nissan app. It might help if we all report it.

TKAZ

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2003 350Z
Yep that has happened to me on occasion. Sitting there minding my own business and suddenly the parking sensor goes off for a couple of seconds.
I was afraid I wasn't going to be able to drive once the light turned green. I wonder what made it think I was about to park.

bpeckham

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2023 Z Performance 6MT Blue/Graphite
I was afraid I wasn't going to be able to drive once the light turned green. I wonder what made it think I was about to park.
This parking sensor thing happens to the 6MT as well. I've experienced it while rolling slowly in traffic and also while stopped. I think the real world is just way more complex than the heuristic they use to trigger it. Even though it's not perfect, it's still pretty good.

I've also had the lane change warning trigger in situations with two left turn lanes when my signal is on (because I'm turning left), but have no intention of changing lanes.