DevonK

First Name
Take a guess
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
TBD
I'm curious why everyone thinks we need reviews on a car that shares a tried and true platform and now has a 3.0 TT that you can instantly dial up by a 100hp no problem. My dealership is tuning mine right away for me and has agreed to completely cover it under warranty if they do it. They have a track record withe the Redsport already getting 600 at the wheels. What review do you need if you can spool this up and get 500 at the crank? What car with that output can you get for under 60k without even trying too hard? With the reliability of Nissan and this platform behind it?
Well it's clear that we are looking for different things from the car. I don't give a damn about acceleration numbers or adding power, 400 hp will be more than enough for me. What I am concerned about is improving the handling, and not losing the steering feel in the transition from hydraulic ps to eps. As Chris Harris and others have noted in reviews, the 370Z is not a very good car at the handling limits, it's "an 80% car". The initial first drive event is likely to be at a track and so should give a good indication whether Nissan' s revisions to the Z's suspension and tuning have improved it.

FBD

First Name
FBD
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
90 300ZX 93 300ZX Roadster 14 370Z StillenRoadster
Well it's clear that we are looking for different things from the car. I don't give a damn about acceleration numbers or adding power, 400 hp will be more than enough for me. What I am concerned about is improving the handling, and not losing the steering feel in the transition from hydraulic ps to eps. As Chris Harris and others have noted in reviews, the 370Z is not a very good car at the handling limits, it's "an 80% car". The initial first drive event is likely to be at a track and so should give a good indication whether Nissan' s revisions to the Z's suspension and tuning have improved it.
I completely agree with you on the steering 100%. I lament the loss of hydraulic steering to an electric assist rack. It actually was one of the major reasons i went with the 370 last time. I got rid of a boxster s and the steering was amazing. 370 felt dead compared to it. And I've watched the Chris Harris review 100 times when he points out how the back end gets unsettled at the limit. Just not sure we are going to have the luxury of full reviews...but I agree I would love that before I take reception of this car. As far as the horsepower, my point was compared to the 15K I spent on my 370K with expensive bolt ons and H&R coilovers, hopefully the suspension is more sorted now, and spooling up the turbos will prove MUCH easier.

DevonK

First Name
Take a guess
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
TBD
^ My father had a vintage 69 911E for several years. No car I have driven since has had steering nearly as good. Part of that is down to its light weight (same to a lesser extent with your Boxster), and there is inevitably going to be some loss there with the Z given its 3500+ poundage. The question is how much. (Also important of course, the 911E did not have power steering.)

bybepl

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Cayman S
Occupation
IT
^ My father had a vintage 69 911E for several years. No car I have driven since has had steering nearly as good. Part of that is down to its light weight (same to a lesser extent with your Boxster), and there is inevitably going to be some loss there with the Z given its 3500+ poundage. The question is how much. (Also important of course, the 911E did not have power steering.)
Yeah, 911E weight 2,250 lbs. I had a 911 SC and it was also great handling. My Cayman S is also under 3,000 lbs.

FBD

First Name
FBD
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Unless, the tuning breaks something and then you are SOL.
It has actually been the head Nissan service guy overseeing the tuning. He said it is pretty easy to get 500 at the crank and if they do it warranty is intact. Don't want to name the dealership obviously but that was my other point about finding a "Zed" dealership with allocations as opposed to just any Nissan dealership.

FBD

First Name
FBD
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Boxster was the best driver's car ever. Just no power and on long road trips it was too noisy. But I could tell when the driver's tire crossed a crack in the pavement before the passenger front tire if you approached on an angle. You'd feel it in the steering wheel. Those days are gone I fear.

FBD

First Name
FBD
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Yeah, 911E weight 2,250 lbs. I had a 911 SC and it was also great handling. My Cayman S is also under 3,000 lbs.
I just priced out a Cayman 4.0L N/A 395Hp and around 320ish Torque. It is a way better car than the Z and Porsche always undervalues its Horsepower...But it was coming in at 115k CDN. That's TWO Z's...So my point is if you want more power for $1500 dial up the turbo. But the Z is a value play for sure.

jdm-rhd

First Name
rob
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
95 hardtop supra, 93 widebody rx7, 93 stockish rx7
Occupation
videogame tester/skater
I'm curious why everyone thinks we need reviews on a car that shares a tried and true platform and now has a 3.0 TT that you can instantly dial up by a 100hp no problem. My dealership is tuning mine right away for me and has agreed to completely cover it under warranty if they do it. They have a track record withe the Redsport already getting 600 at the wheels. What review do you need if you can spool this up and get 500 at the crank? What car with that output can you get for under 60k without even trying too hard? With the reliability of Nissan and this platform behind it?
this is a very interesting topic and deserves a thread of its own to discuss it.

maybe @Haste can help you and copy all the responses to your post into that new thread.

i promise you, if what you say is true, people will be wanting to do this asap.

bybepl

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Cayman S
Occupation
IT
I just priced out a Cayman 4.0L N/A 395Hp and around 320ish Torque. It is a way better car than the Z and Porsche always undervalues its Horsepower...But it was coming in at 115k CDN. That's TWO Z's...So my point is if you want more power for $1500 dial up the turbo. But the Z is a value play for sure.
You can likely get 2 Nissan Z's for the price of one Cayman 4.0l.

Xeno

First Name
Levi
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
1984 Pontiac Trans Am, 1968 Chevrolet C10
Occupation
Mechatronics Engineer
I don’t know if there is a better post to put this in, but I happened to come across a somewhat recent article on Twitter, coming from another z forum. I don’t know how legit the source is, but it’s coming from consumer reports for March 2022. Like the folk in the other forum speculate, it probably is just a safe guess for a pricing range. But I find it hard to believe a somewhat reputable source would just throw out numbers with no merit. Idk, take it with a grain of salt whilst we wait for news.

2023 Nissan Z Priced From $38,000 In Consumer Reports March 2022 Edition Magazine

2023-nissan-z-price-consumer-reports-jpg.jpg

Haste

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
'23 Civic Type R, '09 335i, '23 Kona N
I don’t know if there is a better post to put this in, but I happened to come across a somewhat recent article on Twitter, coming from another z forum. I don’t know how legit the source is, but it’s coming from consumer reports for March 2022. Like the folk in the other forum speculate, it probably is just a safe guess for a pricing range. But I find it hard to believe a somewhat reputable source would just throw out numbers with no merit. Idk, take it with a grain of salt whilst we wait for news.

2023 Nissan Z Priced From $38,000 In Consumer Reports March 2022 Edition Magazine

2023-nissan-z-price-consumer-reports-jpg-jpg.jpg
Yes, seems just like a safe guess. At least they printed $38,000-$50,000E in the magazine rather than what's displayed on the website.

https://www.consumerreports.org/cars/nissan/z/2023/

1646109433530.png

Xeno

First Name
Levi
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
1984 Pontiac Trans Am, 1968 Chevrolet C10
Occupation
Mechatronics Engineer
Seems like the E at the end probably means Estimated.
Yea, that’s what the other forum surmised. I just think it’s worthy to note that that’s the range they give for estimation.