West Aussie

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Hyundai I20
Except Direct Sales by a manufacturer are against the law in almost all US states.

You can thank generous political contributions to State legislators by dealership groups for that.
I don’t even know how that happened. Imagine banning a business from selling its own product..that’s just messed up

RicerX

First Name
Z
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Titan Pro4X
In the US there are zero consumer protections for dealers marking up cars. Nissan can't do little more than shame them without risking a potentially lucrative corporate partnership.
Nissan can absolutely penalize them by not allocating cars to that dealership. Nissan is the supplier of the product. The game then becomes if the dealership is willing to risk missing unit sales for a product launch with significant initial demand (and the extra potential revenue they can generate with service contracts, financing, and accessory sale opportunities) for a few extra bucks with markup on one unit. Further sour the relationship, and that dealer may miss out on other volume bonuses, etc, for employing tactics that potentially sour Nissan's brand image. A LOT of moving pieces here affected by a relatively simple practice stemming from basic supply and demand dynamics in free market economics.

This exact situation happened with the Civic Type R launch in the US. Honda outright cancelled some dealer orders for the car due to documented price gouging and those dealers missed out entirely after launch. Honda did not want the reputation of having vehicles marked up sky high. Honda wants Civic Type Rs on the road, not sitting in showrooms. The dealers accused of price-gouging by Honda didn't get more inventory, and those dealerships lost their Civic Type R buyers to other dealers.

Just today, Wall Street Journal reported that Ford and GM have fired warning shots to their dealer networks about price gouging and that if it continues they will deny them future inventory. That's a death sentence for a dealership right now. Some markups? Ok. Like 10% or so? I get that. However, locally, I have personally seen $75k Chevy Silverado 2500 Duramax trucks marked up to $115,000. That's absolutely egregious and should be stomped out.

My local Infiniti Dealership is marking up QX80s about $3,500 - not terrible for an $80k vehicle. However, they are feeling a bad supply crunch. Their loaner program has been eliminated by supply issues - Infiniti dealers only allow their loaners to be in use for a calendar year or so before they're lifecycled and sold as certified used vehicles. My local dealer's loaner fleet has aged out and there is not enough supply to replace them. They're just gone. They can't afford to pull from sales inventory because they would have no vehicles to sell and there are no vehicles to order.

It's very ugly out there right now.

DevonK

First Name
Take a guess
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
TBD
^ I got much the same story on loaners when I inquired at the Nissan dealer my Z reservation is with - "yes we usually have them but right now...'''. At least they have a shuttle as a backup.

Donalex

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
1995 Nissan 300ZX
Nissan needs to move product. There's more on the lot than a Z.

They're going to let the public decide if they want to play the game.

LeatherWings

First Name
Jasper
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
NA & ND Miata | Xterra | Honda 919 | Honda Grom
Nothing we don't already all know, but saw this on Twitter just now:

jdm-rhd

First Name
rob
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
95 hardtop supra, 93 widebody rx7, 93 stockish rx7
Occupation
videogame tester/skater
Nothing we don't already all know, but saw this on Twitter just now:

i got really excited for a sec. not because of the $40k msrp, but because out of the corner of my eye i thought 'fps russia' was asking the price...

...i was thinking "he's back!?!"

West Aussie

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Hyundai I20
i got really excited for a sec. not because of the $40k msrp, but because out of the corner of my eye i thought 'fps russia' was asking the price...

M”much closer to the vehicles on sale date”
For the love of god…it’s mid Feb, it was meant to drop March or April…how close is close
Replace the name with Nissan
1644656428057.jpeg

LeatherWings

First Name
Jasper
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
M”much closer to the vehicles on sale date”
For the love of god…it’s mid Feb, it was meant to drop March or April…how close is close
Replace the name with Nissan
1644656428057.jpeg
Tell me about it. I've had a Cybertruck on preorder since 2019!

I was reading some article on the Z (can't remember which one) and one of the comments said something to the effect of: "placed my preorder. Won't arrive until mid-2023."

I was like, WHAAAAAT!? That can't be right. That person had to have been lying, or it was a typo. I refuse to believe it!

LeatherWings

First Name
Jasper
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)

Whoa, I just looked him up. How did I not know about this guy? And why did he stop making videos?

jdm-rhd

First Name
rob
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
95 hardtop supra, 93 widebody rx7, 93 stockish rx7
Occupation
videogame tester/skater

Mardoc01

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Nissan max plat.
I'm feeling optimistic, perhaps foolishly so, in that we'll finally get a price announced tonight simultaneously/a bit after the SB commercial airs. Anyone else?
They better. Or it a massive pr fail. People are already pissEd. They better starts at 39.9 or they lose me