Sponsored

2027 Manual Nismo-Motortrend

trackratZ

Well-Known Member
First Name
August
Joined
Mar 23, 2021
Threads
101
Messages
2,821
Reaction score
5,421
Location
So CA
Car(s)
25 Z Perf 6MT, Cayman S (track), MX5 Club (autox)
Occupation
Software security
https://www.motortrend.com/reviews/first-test-2027-nissan-z-nismo-manual

Literally nothing in these reviews makes me want to own this car. I like it for the looks and the nostalgia, but it just seems incredibly bad at its job, despite its paper qualifications. I guess I am disappointed because I really wanted to like the Z. Motor Trend seemed to really not be into the new Z, summing it up in this manner
Per Motor Trend:
Is the NISMO Manual the Track-Day Z?
"This thing is in its element when pushed to the limit on a road course. We were impressed by how planted, balanced, and predictable the Z feels when driven hard. Its steering is heavy but accurate, and the car is easy to place. The chassis tolerates an aggressive driving style and remains composed through quick transitions. Other editors found it easy to settle into a rhythm on the handling course, with enough grip and stability to inspire confidence.

That represents a clear evolution from the current-generation Z Performance, which also felt balanced and poised but had less grip, more body motion, and a greater tendency toward rear-end movement under hard braking. The NISMO’s larger brakes, additional chassis bracing, upgraded tires, and more aggressive suspension calibration give it a much more secure track attitude. Nissan also gives the NISMO a smoother damper stroke for 2027, though the car’s mass remains apparent in corners."


Here's what I found out after pushing through the mostly tight Firebird Raceway in Phoenix AZ just recently. The Z's chassis overall, Nismo or not, is very capable ONCE TUNED. Even with the Perf MT, I expected the Z to be a mess, handful attacking turns and apexes, but with some suspension tuning, tires, brakes and corner balance alignment it was surprisingly predictable. I could be off-line on turns and the Z sticks without losing the rear or front. Yes, it feels heavy but very confidence-inspiring, steering felt good with feedback, you probably saw my ZCON 2026 video. I was totally surprised, based on the flogging the Z gets from reviewers albeit in stock form, total grins at Firebird. May take it to the yardstick Buttonwillow 13CW, although this is not my dedicated track toy. It's a really fun experience, the power is there, just need to address the chassis a bit.
 

Exquisite_Red

Well-Known Member
First Name
Donnie
Joined
Feb 24, 2025
Threads
4
Messages
200
Reaction score
346
Location
Nashville, TN
Car(s)
'24 Nissan Z 6MT
Occupation
NNA-S Project Manager
With the new additions to the CTR (heated seats, Gemini and Google maps, suede type dash material, etc), I'm writing the Nismo Z off. I'll drive one if I can, but I am not reading anything that appeals to me about it. The reviews are rife with things like:


---Seriously? So it's basically about as fast as my 2012 with a Berk CBE is what I'm hearing. Cool and all, but the hell if I'm going to deal with two turbos and trying to find 93 octane for nothing.


---Yeah, I bet the FWD CTR doesn't launch any better, but it sounds like it won't be worse at least.


---I want a manual that feels inspired. Like a CTR, Porsche, etc.




---It's not fast, either, so...unless it's a nostalgia purchase, what DOES it do well?


https://www.motortrend.com/reviews/first-test-2027-nissan-z-nismo-manual


Literally nothing in these reviews makes me want to own this car. I like it for the looks and the nostalgia, but it just seems incredibly bad at its job, despite its paper qualifications. I guess I am disappointed because I really wanted to like the Z. Motor Trend seemed to really not be into the new Z, summing it up in this manner:

Meanwhile this was the feeling the CTR left them (and me, on my test drive) with:

https://www.motortrend.com/features/2023-honda-civic-type-r-first-test-review


I'd love to hear from someone who has a CTR and a Z, if someone does.
It’s bizarre to me that anyone would be cross shopping a CTR and a Z. One is a hopped up FWD econobox and one is an actual RWD sports car. Hot hatches are inherently a compromise between practicality and performance. They only exist because a lot of people who require a practical vehicle also want it to be fun to drive. But if you don’t need four doors and back seats, they are always, always a worse option than a “real” sports car. Case in point, despite all of the mania for the CTR from out of touch magazine editors, the Z bested it by seven seconds at Lightning Lap and out traps it by 10mph, lol. The trap gap between the Z and a GTR is less than the gap between the Z and the CTR.

So, the best hot hatch of all time is outperformed by what is widely considered a mediocre sports car. The Z is a much faster car anywhere other than the tightest of courses. These cars are in completely different leagues and shouldn’t be compared. You’re getting worked up about a bunch of auto-mag hyperbole.

The Z is an old school feeling, analog sports car. The CTR is a Civic.
 
OP
OP

JWG

Active Member
First Name
Jonathan
Joined
Aug 22, 2026
Threads
2
Messages
36
Reaction score
13
Location
Missouri
Car(s)
2011 P7B
Occupation
Customer Service/Retail
It’s bizarre to me that anyone would be cross shopping a CTR and a Z. One is a hopped up FWD econobox and one is an actual RWD sports car. Hot hatches are inherently a compromise between practicality and performance. They only exist because a lot of people who require a practical vehicle also want it to be fun to drive. But if you don’t need four doors and back seats, they are always, always a worse option than a “real” sports car. Case in point, despite all of the mania for the CTR from out of touch magazine editors, the Z bested it by seven seconds at Lightning Lap and out traps it by 10mph, lol. The trap gap between the Z and a GTR is less than the gap between the Z and the CTR.

So, the best hot hatch of all time is outperformed by what is widely considered a mediocre sports car. The Z is a much faster car anywhere other than the tightest of courses. These cars are in completely different leagues and shouldn’t be compared. You’re getting worked up about a bunch of auto-mag hyperbole.

The Z is an old school feeling, analog sports car. The CTR is a Civic.
Have you driven one? There is a reason for its reputation among M, P car, etc owners.

Also consider that the Nismo Z only out traps it by 3 or 4 mph per the review we have of it. It posted a sub-7:45 ring time. Also, the automatic Nismo bested it by less than 3 seconds on the Lightning Lap. We will have to see if the tweaks to the manual Z improve that or if the manual holds it back.

Id suggest driving a CTR, as Id like to drive a Nismo manual, but even just comparing paper numbers, its clear to see the CTR handles better. Just look at Leguna Seca lap times, or other tracks. The CTR is turning better times. 4 cyl fwd and all.
 

Exquisite_Red

Well-Known Member
First Name
Donnie
Joined
Feb 24, 2025
Threads
4
Messages
200
Reaction score
346
Location
Nashville, TN
Car(s)
'24 Nissan Z 6MT
Occupation
NNA-S Project Manager
Have you driven one? There is a reason for its reputation among M, P car, etc owners.

Also consider that the Nismo Z only out traps it by 3 or 4 mph per the review we have of it. It posted a sub-7:45 ring time. Also, the automatic Nismo bested it by less than 3 seconds on the Lightning Lap. We will have to see if the tweaks to the manual Z improve that or if the manual holds it back.

Id suggest driving a CTR, as Id like to drive a Nismo manual, but even just comparing paper numbers, its clear to see the CTR handles better. Just look at Leguna Seca lap times, or other tracks. The CTR is turning better times. 4 cyl fwd and all.
I was a Honda diehard for a long time. I've driven my share of CTRs, ITRs, and S2000s. I've built several EGs and EFs. So I get the appeal. But I'm kind of over cars that you have to wring by the neck to enjoy. If the appeal of the Z isn't readily apparent, I don't think anyone is going to convince you. It sounds like you've already made up your mind, you will likely be happier in the CTR. Different strokes for different folks. If you still have doubts, I would encourage you to drive a Z rather than trusting the mags, though. You might be surprised.
 

KrackaC8

Well-Known Member
First Name
Christopher
Joined
Nov 23, 2025
Threads
9
Messages
1,315
Reaction score
1,925
Location
Sioux City, IA
Car(s)
2023 Z Performance, 2024 Grand Cherokee, 2023 Wrangler Rubicon
Occupation
Commodities
I was a Honda diehard for a long time. I've driven my share of CTRs, ITRs, and S2000s. I've built several EGs and EFs. So I get the appeal. But I'm kind of over cars that you have to wring by the neck to enjoy. If the appeal of the Z isn't readily apparent, I don't think anyone is going to convince you. It sounds like you've already made up your mind, you will likely be happier in the CTR. Different strokes for different folks. If you still have doubts, I would encourage you to drive a Z rather than trusting the mags, though. You might be surprised.
Not sure why OP is so afraid to go test-drive one...I did, and before it I came out of a S2000, Evo IX, Evo X, C7, and C8. The Z is not a bench racer, there is no doubt about that nor would anyone claim otherwise. It's a driver's car that wants to be driven and enjoyed. It's some of the most fun I've been having since my S2000 days. Of cars I'd want for an actual track day? Honestly probably at the bottom of the list but I don't care because that's not where I live.
 

Osage

Well-Known Member
First Name
Wade
Joined
Aug 1, 2026
Threads
11
Messages
72
Reaction score
98
Location
Austin
Car(s)
2027 Z Nismo MT, 2026 Pathfinder Rock Creek
It’s perfectly enjoyable on a track as well. I think we are being trolled…
 
OP
OP

JWG

Active Member
First Name
Jonathan
Joined
Aug 22, 2026
Threads
2
Messages
36
Reaction score
13
Location
Missouri
Car(s)
2011 P7B
Occupation
Customer Service/Retail
Not sure why OP is so afraid to go test-drive one...I did, and before it I came out of a S2000, Evo IX, Evo X, C7, and C8. The Z is not a bench racer, there is no doubt about that nor would anyone claim otherwise. It's a driver's car that wants to be driven and enjoyed. It's some of the most fun I've been having since my S2000 days. Of cars I'd want for an actual track day? Honestly probably at the bottom of the list but I don't care because that's not where I live.
Noone has them yet. When they are here, id like to drive one.
 

Apex_Z

Well-Known Member
First Name
Rob
Joined
Aug 28, 2025
Threads
4
Messages
142
Reaction score
231
Location
North Orlando
Car(s)
2025 Z Performance, 1950 Chevy Styleline, 1920's ratrod
Occupation
Engineer
Noone has them yet. When they are here, id like to drive one.
Don't. Just get the Honda. It sounds like it is what you really want. The Z is about the experience of driving it, not the numbers on the data logger.
 
OP
OP

JWG

Active Member
First Name
Jonathan
Joined
Aug 22, 2026
Threads
2
Messages
36
Reaction score
13
Location
Missouri
Car(s)
2011 P7B
Occupation
Customer Service/Retail
Don't. Just get the Honda. It sounds like it is what you really want. The Z is about the experience of driving it, not the numbers on the data logger.
Funny, thats what I like about the CTR. Best driving car Ive driven, including my 370z and z06, and track time in Zr1. Id like to see how much of my 370z sins the new Nismo absolved.
 
 






Top