JoaquinJr

First Name
Joaquin
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
BMW E46
Any ideas how Nissan was able to put thinner tires in the rear with considerably more torque and hitting earlier in the powerband over the 370z Nismo which ran wider tires in the rear?

DevonK

First Name
Take a guess
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
TBD
Any ideas how Nissan was able to put thinner tires in the rear with considerably more torque and hitting earlier in the powerband over the 370z Nismo which ran wider tires in the rear?
Nissan: "We don't want to spend more for wider tires, we'll let the TC system take care of the grip problem".

zeeder

First Name
Zack
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
'13 370Z ST 6MT
I think the 10mm wider rear tires for the Nismo was mostly just a way to have one more difference between that and the lower models. I can't image that the traction differences between 275 and 285 are significant. I like that they made the front tires wider for, presumably, better turn-in, and less understeer.

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2016 Challenger Scat Pack, 1996 Rx-7
I love the look of the Z and am considering it as a replacement for my current performance street car, but:

Does anyone know whether or not the above "features" can be permanently disabled? By permanently, I mean not having to turn the off every time you start the car, and not having yet another annoying dashboard light trying to convince me that I've done something wrong by setting the car to drive properly.

This junk is a deal-killer for a track day car, and incredibly annoying on a street performance car.

MGD

First Name
Marc
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Alfa Romeo Giulia Ti Sport Q4
Occupation
Owner of electrical contracting company
Did I read correctly that the 9 speed is NOT getting a carbon fibre drive shaft?! What’s the deal with that as doesn’t quite make sense…

DevonK

First Name
Take a guess
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
TBD
Did I read correctly that the 9 speed is NOT getting a carbon fibre drive shaft?! What’s the deal with that as doesn’t quite make sense…
My speculation: the auto trans has zero chance of providing a violent shock to the driveline, while the mt, being operated by error-prone humans, could easily do so (missed shifts etc.). Thus the stronger driveshaft for the mt.

MGD

First Name
Marc
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Alfa Romeo Giulia Ti Sport Q4
Occupation
Owner of electrical contracting company
My speculation: the auto trans has zero chance of providing a violent shock to the driveline, while the mt, being operated by error-prone humans, could easily do so (missed shifts etc.). Thus the stronger driveshaft for the mt.
Interesting perspective, I never thought of that aspect. The more I think about it, it would help bring the MT closer to the performance of the auto but would definitely help the auto compete against the supra…12lbs of rotating mass off the driveshaft could push the auto sub-4sec.

Although hard to compare in my Giulia as it came stock with CF driveshaft, it does seem to rip through the gears nicely and does feel underrated HP wise. Wonder if the driveshafts are the same length for both trannies in the Z as that would be a definite first upgrade!

jdm-rhd

First Name
rob
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
95 hardtop supra, 93 widebody rx7, 93 stockish rx7
Occupation
videogame tester/skater

2017370ZBlack

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2017 370Z 6MT & 2015 Xterra Pro-4X
I think the 10mm wider rear tires for the Nismo was mostly just a way to have one more difference between that and the lower models. I can't image that the traction differences between 275 and 285 are significant. I like that they made the front tires wider for, presumably, better turn-in, and less understeer.
I'm running 275's up front and 295's at back on my 370Z on the 19" 2013-2014 Nismo 5-spoke wheels. Perfect tire fitment and no excess wear. With other mods such as HKS coilovers and Whiteline sway bars, the understeer that the car had to begin with is gone.

Papa G Z

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Sky redline
Occupation
VP Sales
New to the forum but have been watching and reading the posts. My plan is to watch auto trader and other sites to track what is in the market. Started Monday 12/5 and on auto trader there were 56 new units nationally with 12 of the manuals. 12/7 58 total and 19 manuals. Not a bad bump in manuals. One ad in Arkansas was below MSRP. Contacted them and sold the night before for $5K over MSRP.... 12/12 yesterday 66 total and 25 manuals. 12 /3 70 total and 32 manuals.

So in a week almost 3 times the manuals listed. Colorado Springs (near me) shows one on their website. contacted them and yellow non-proto said they are going to ask $90K. I laughed at them. Tried to go see it and they are saying it will be there in a week or two. that started almost a month ago. Another dealer today in Florida for yellow proto says in stock but waiting on the new manual transmission fix. They said starting price $20K over msrp and they have folks on a list.

Its really confusing when they show available but then you contact and is on order or waiting for the trans fix. Ironic everyone wants one but can't buy one because they don't work right and ADM.

Seems like a lot of manuals somewhere and maybe they are getting added as transmissions replaced???

Ok, my mild rant over.... some day when the snow goes away hopefully I'll have one. I'm thinking Rosewood manual but to date I still have not seen or touched on of these cars. I had a 1976 280z in the bronze/copper color and would love that or, that orange they had for prototype.

Like the C8 as well, more money but more car, there were 361 Convertible's (preferred) nationally on those today and on that option I have a $20K trade I would do (wife's saturn sky redline) so the total cost a wash +- if I can find a Chevy dealer willing to sell at MSRP. I have talked to some at $5K over but then long order time.

If anyone has a Rosewood Manual or auto how do you like the color?