Z quality likely to inherit some previous issues....

RicerX

First Name
Z
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Titan Pro4X
I've owned the truck 14 years, tried to buy a new Titan and Nissan was smoking crack.....$65k for a fucking Nissan? Nope, I'll buy a Tundra for $10k less.
Man... I get where you're coming from with all this and I'm not going to fight you on it, but this is a completely silly statement. There's no way you're buying an equivalent Tundra for $10k less than a Titan.

I am in a 2020 Titan right now because I got a smoking deal on one. A 2023 (the same truck but now with new badge and wireless carplay!) is $10k more (!!!) than I paid for my 2020 in today's market. There's no way I'm spending that for this truck (as much as I love it and its 43k miles of trouble-free ownership), but when I look around the market, it's easily $10k more to get ANY OTHER TRUCK with the same equipment.

Yes, Nissan has always traded on value. But we need to remember that it's dealerships charging the markups and not Nissan. The pricing of the new Z is a completely different argument - the majority of people in this forum would be telling you about how the dash has been holding up after a year if 1) the supply was there and 2) there weren't markups.

This may be the jerk-bag in me but I cannot wait until the market flips on its head and these dealerships get a bit of karma return on how they've screwed people over for the last three years. I'm going to end up in a new Z on my terms - I have been waiting since 2015. I can afford to be patient a little while longer.

Houston.RZ34

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
15 Q50 S (3.7) 23 Stingray HTC
Occupation
CIO
Nissan was always an "enthusiast" brand, They always had the best performing cars in each segment entered....that's also what got them Mr. Ghosn.

Once Carlos came in he brought them back financially by cutting corners and going from Quality to Quantity.

They are trying to go "Quality" again and basically copying Mazda's playbook. Problem is they don't have the $$$ for new platforms and have to work with the old platforms from the CG era until they can afford to engineer new ones.

OP
OP
takemorepills

takemorepills

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Q60
Man... I get where you're coming from with all this and I'm not going to fight you on it, but this is a completely silly statement. There's no way you're buying an equivalent Tundra for $10k less than a Titan.

I am in a 2020 Titan right now because I got a smoking deal on one. A 2023 (the same truck but now with new badge and wireless carplay!) is $10k more (!!!) than I paid for my 2020 in today's market. There's no way I'm spending that for this truck (as much as I love it and its 43k miles of trouble-free ownership), but when I look around the market, it's easily $10k more to get ANY OTHER TRUCK with the same equipment.

Yes, Nissan has always traded on value. But we need to remember that it's dealerships charging the markups and not Nissan. The pricing of the new Z is a completely different argument - the majority of people in this forum would be telling you about how the dash has been holding up after a year if 1) the supply was there and 2) there weren't markups.

This may be the jerk-bag in me but I cannot wait until the market flips on its head and these dealerships get a bit of karma return on how they've screwed people over for the last three years. I'm going to end up in a new Z on my terms - I have been waiting since 2015. I can afford to be patient a little while longer.
Did we discuss this in another thread?
Because it's the options I'm looking for in my next truck that are only available on a Titan Pro-4x, but those options are available on a lower level Tundra SR-5 TRD Off-Road.
The problem for Nissan, from my perspective, they streamlined to just a few truck models, whereas the competition still allows a smorgasbord of choices.
I'm especially looking for long bed, crew cab, 14" infotainment and locking rear diff and Toyota offers a $53k Tundra SR-5 in that config.
The closest Titan to that is $60k minimum, here in the Seattle area they won't budge from $63k.... and the Titan misses on several points, short bed, smaller infotainment, leather and sunroof that I don't want.....

Basically, I could build a Tundra with similar Titan Pro-4x features, and yes, they'd be similarly priced. But I don't want that configuration of truck.

I still think the Tundra is the better truck.

OP
OP
takemorepills

takemorepills

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Q60
Nissan was always an "enthusiast" brand, They always had the best performing cars in each segment entered....that's also what got them Mr. Ghosn.

Once Carlos came in he brought them back financially by cutting corners and going from Quality to Quantity.

They are trying to go "Quality" again and basically copying Mazda's playbook. Problem is they don't have the $$$ for new platforms and have to work with the old platforms from the CG era until they can afford to engineer new ones.
I remember the Renault influence, horrible period in Nissan history.
Unfortunately, they cut Ghosn out at the worst possible time, creating havoc right before the pandemic and push towards EV.

Ziggy

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Abarth 124
This is this main issue Iā€™m having. The quality isnā€™t there for the price Nissan is asking. Iā€™m okay with the $40k base price but thought that trim should have been similar to the 370z sport with sporty enhancements but with the base interior. Base wheels in this case would have been fine too. But even then, Iā€™d expect theses ongoing issues to be sorted for $40k.

I know itā€™s not apples to apples, since itā€™s new vs used, but the trim of this car Id want is the Nismo. At the speculated price of $65k, starting to knock on the door of some of my used dream cars. Also not paying the $15k - $20k dealer markup on a Z would give me a healthy maintenance budget on an eight year old dream car.

Separately, my beater while I look for the next sports car, is a 2008 Infiniti. I donā€™t really blame Nissan at this point since itā€™s a very old vehicle, but during the large rainstorms in California last month, my passenger footwell also flooded. Turned out the sunroof drain was clogged and that causes the water to run down the passenger a pillar behind the glovebox and down to the footwell. Definitely not where I thought the water would be coming from!

OP
OP
takemorepills

takemorepills

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Q60
This is this main issue Iā€™m having. The quality isnā€™t there for the price Nissan is asking. Iā€™m okay with the $40k base price but thought that trim should have been similar to the 370z sport with sporty enhancements but with the base interior. Base wheels in this case would have been fine too. But even then, Iā€™d expect theses ongoing issues to be sorted for $40k.

I know itā€™s not apples to apples, since itā€™s new vs used, but the trim of this car Id want is the Nismo. At the speculated price of $65k, starting to knock on the door of some of my used dream cars. Also not paying the $15k - $20k dealer markup on a Z would give me a healthy maintenance budget on an eight year old dream car.

Separately, my beater while I look for the next sports car, is a 2008 Infiniti. I donā€™t really blame Nissan at this point since itā€™s a very old vehicle, but during the large rainstorms in California last month, my passenger footwell also flooded. Turned out the sunroof drain was clogged and that causes the water to run down the passenger a pillar behind the glovebox and down to the footwell. Definitely not where I thought the water would be coming from!
Mine is bypassed now, no longer draining through that janky firewall fitting, the drains are connected to the HVAC condensate drain.

Also, I thought mine was the drains, turns out it's the cowl seal. Everytime you replace the battery, you run the risk of the rotting foam seal finally failing. It allows an incredible amount of water in (same for Z's) so make sure you check that too. Easier to fix than the drains.

ec15

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
A few
Mine is bypassed now, no longer draining through that janky firewall fitting, the drains are connected to the HVAC condensate drain.

Also, I thought mine was the drains, turns out it's the cowl seal. Everytime you replace the battery, you run the risk of the rotting foam seal finally failing. It allows an incredible amount of water in (same for Z's) so make sure you check that too. Easier to fix than the drains.

Sounds like it was just a clogged drain. Happens often especially if leaves and debris are not cleaned out regularly. Sunroof drain clog is another common cause.

Most cars has the hvac located in the same spot. Not just Nissan specific. That foam tape on the cowl grille is not meant to seal from water. It is foam after all. Mainly to prevent noise.

OP
OP
takemorepills

takemorepills

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Q60
Sounds like it was just a clogged drain. Happens often especially if leaves and debris are not cleaned out regularly. Sunroof drain clog is another common cause.

Most cars has the hvac located in the same spot. Not just Nissan specific. That foam tape on the cowl grille is not meant to seal from water. It is foam after all. Mainly to prevent noise.
Hmm, I don't think you understand how the HVAC intake is located under the windshield.

Definitely a major source for passenger side water leaks.

ec15

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
A few
Hmm, I don't think you understand how the HVAC intake is located under the windshield.

Definitely a major source for passenger side water leaks.
I would like to think I know.
We cleared out quite a few clogged drains causing these major source for passenger side water leaks.

OP
OP
takemorepills

takemorepills

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Q60
I would like to think I know.
We cleared out quite a few clogged drains causing these major source for passenger side water leaks.
Why only passenger side, and not driver's side? Hmmmmm........

20200510_183327_hdr_2_81ea14384c65614042ee05debeafda1d4180bc50.jpg

https://www.myg37.com/forums/g37-sedan/296351-possible-passenger-leak-location.html

I am not sure if you are talking about G37 or Nissan in general. I do know that piss poor firewall drain is used on nearly every Nissan.

When dealing with a Z, G or Q with a passenger side leak, it is very easy to check if the cowl is the source. Quite often, people will address the sunroof drain, and still have a leak.

Drop the glove box, pull out cabin filter and blower motor. 9 screws, 10 minutes. You can see right through to the cowl. Have a helper spray the windshield with heavy water (also make sure HVAC is set to outside air and wiper blades up) and you can quickly determine if the cowl is leaking.

Nissan designed the leading edge of the windshield right above the completely open air intake. The cowl piece has a foam rope seal that prevents leaks. The cowl has to be removed for the battery. If cowl is installed incorrectly, or seal is deteriorated, it will absolutely flood the passenger side.

Or, you could just dismiss this obvious issue and possibly misdiagnose a repair.

MHockey17

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
'18 Nissan 370Z NISMO, '01 Mitsu Eclipse GT
Had a little chuckle reading this as I was just about to comment about encountering this same issue with my G37...twice in fact; both G37s Iā€™ve owned inevitably flooded my passenger footwell from that god awful drain hose clogging at the firewall nozzle šŸ˜“

Was simple to fix luckily, just some trimming n silicone, but hopping into a puddled n musty smelling cabin all the sudden really ruins the appeal of an otherwise solid car

Nissan really picks some frustrating areas to cut corners šŸ˜–