Z quality likely to inherit some previous issues....

takemorepills

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Q60
Well, I feel like ranting. Because I am pissed at Nissan. No, not for the terrible Z rollout.

Because my Q60 is turning in to a pile of shit, and I seriously doubt Nissan has addressed any of the issues these platform mates will likely share.

Recently, my car became a fish tank. Recent rain storms found my interior flooded. Turns out, Nissan put the HVAC air intake right under the bottom edge of the windshield, and WHEN the cowl seal fails (it's just cheap-shit foam rope) the windshield drains DIRECTLY onto your cabin air filter, floods and rusts your blower motor and fills up the floor pan with litres of water.
Judging from the underhood pics of the new Z, it is the EXACT same as my Q60.

The frameless door windows are another water intrusion area. I've already had to pop over $200 in new door seals 2 years ago to fix the door glass leak at the tweeter/mirror area. The new Z looks the same.

Nissan never owned up to the rotting/cracking dash. Both the Infinitis and the 370Z had this issue. Time will tell if the Z develops it too. Hard to know when Nissan ignores it.

Anyways, now that I know what to expect, it won't be so bad.

But no fucking way am I going to pay over MSRP for garbage Nissan engineering. Also, heads up, the Nissan warranty is much shorter than the Infiniti warranty. The VR30 in the Infiniti's commonly need the motor droppped for turbo repairs. Due to the exceptional Infiniti warranty, it's usually covered well into your ownership. I believe it's a full year more than Nissan. I have seen MANY VR30's at my Infiniti dealer with the engine out for turbo work.

$41K for a Sport, no markups, I can deal with that stuff. $53K+$5-10K ADM, no way!

West Aussie

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Hyundai I20
H
Well, I feel like ranting. Because I am pissed at Nissan. No, not for the terrible Z rollout.

Because my Q60 is turning in to a pile of shit, and I seriously doubt Nissan has addressed any of the issues these platform mates will likely share.

Recently, my car became a fish tank. Recent rain storms found my interior flooded. Turns out, Nissan put the HVAC air intake right under the bottom edge of the windshield, and WHEN the cowl seal fails (it's just cheap-shit foam rope) the windshield drains DIRECTLY onto your cabin air filter, floods and rusts your blower motor and fills up the floor pan with litres of water.

The frameless door windows are another water intrusion area. I've already had to pop over $200 in new door seals 2 years ago to fix the door glass leak at the tweeter/mirror area. The new Z looks the same.

Nissan never owned up to the rotting/cracking dash. Both the Infinitis and the 370Z had this issue. Time will tell if the Z develops it too. Hard to know when Nissan ignores it.

But no fucking way am I going to pay over MSRP for garbage Nissan engineering. Also, heads up, the Nissan warranty is much shorter than the Infiniti warranty. The VR30 in the Infiniti's commonly need the motor droppped for turbo repairs. Due to the exceptional Infiniti warranty, it's usually covered well into your ownership. I believe it's a full year more than Nissan. I have seen MANY VR30's at my Infiniti dealer with the engine out for turbo work.

$41K for a Sport, no markups, I can deal with that stuff. $53K+$5-10K ADM, no way!
how longs your warranty for a Z in the US?

OP
OP
takemorepills

takemorepills

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Q60
Man, you've really gotten the full Subaru and Nissan experience with your Subarus and Nissans.
I've gotta give my current car credit....mechanically very reliable. They have a good reputation for reliability. Just too bad about the negligent engineering in other areas.

anime

First Name
j
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
bike
I actually thought about this. Like even if the z ever does become widely avaible nissan is kind of showing it’s self to be a pretty poor manufacturer that I’m not sure I’d wanna buy a 55k+ car from

OP
OP
takemorepills

takemorepills

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Q60
I actually thought about this. Like even if the z ever does become widely avaible nissan is kind of showing it’s self to be a pretty poor manufacturer that I’m not sure I’d wanna buy a 55k+ car from
It's been a long time since Nissan could legitimately ask top prices for their vehicles. Nissan has always traded on value, customers accept some shortcomings, and in return they can usually get a good discount on a "good enough" vehicle.

My first new car was a 1995 200SX. The equivalent Civic coupe was way nicer in every way. However, only NMAC would finance me as a first time young car buyer without a cosigner.

I bought my Titan because nobody likes them, I got a smoking deal on it (turns out to be an excellent truck, however the Nissan stigma affects it's perceived value) I've owned the truck 14 years, tried to buy a new Titan and Nissan was smoking crack.....$65k for a fucking Nissan? Nope, I'll buy a Tundra for $10k less.

I am beginning to understand the FM/Z34 chassis quirks, and I'll know how to deal with the Nissan issues as they occur, but no way am I paying $53-63k for a recycled problem child.

It's not just me being cheap, if Toyota made an all Toyota Supra and asked $60k for it, I wouldn't even hesitate to buy it.

I need a discount, not an ass raping, to buy a Nissan. Even MSRP is a bit too much for the Performance model. MSRP on the Sport is easier to stomach.

BUMBLZ

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2023 Z ProtoSpec, 2013 Fire Orange M3
Occupation
Speed addict ;-)

Your being xxxtremely conservative on the markups. lol

Mud

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2009 370Z, 2023 Z
I also notice on the weekend that while the dash is an all new shape, it feels like it's made from the same spongey rubbery shit that seems to deteriorate and crack on plenty of 370Zs

they did change the CSC though!

OP
OP
takemorepills

takemorepills

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Q60
I also notice on the weekend that while the dash is an all new shape, it feels like it's made from the same spongey rubbery shit that seems to deteriorate and crack on plenty of 370Zs

they did change the CSC though!
Some of the dash is stitched pleather, so those areas should be ok.

Definitely agree that Nissan did the right thing in removing the CSC and going back to the traditional setup.....

I must say, I had 1/3 of my interior apart to fix the water leaks, and I noticed that the quality of the parts is exceptionally good. Too bad about the occasional engineering f-up.

jdm-rhd

First Name
rob
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
95 hardtop supra, 93 widebody rx7, 93 stockish rx7
Occupation
videogame tester/skater

Cmtremor

First Name
Cory
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 6.7 ram 2500, S14 silvia, 1uz 84" celica
Occupation
millwright
bought a new titan xd in 2017 with the "new Nissan interior" and i agree with you on a lot of quality expectation's on this car.
my titan xd had numerous issue's including:
-paint was defective and truck was repainted twice. paint is known to be garbage on nissan's.
-rear door latch was loose from factory and caused paint/damage to door
-DEF tank was cross threaded during install and left loose from factory
-rear window seal replaced at 1 year due to wear
-driver side arm rest replaced due to stitching wear at 2 years
- driver side seat was ripped/worn at 4 years and 100,000km
Nissan fought me on every issue and always tried to take the cheapest way out and often didnt know their own warranty coverage.

after already viewing the new Z and seeing the issue's they are already experiencing ... i dont see it being any different .. but still have faith, if properly priced this will be a great car!

fliplover

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2012 Impala LTZ; '21 Nissan Rogue
Occupation
Engineer
My wife's Rogue is approaching 40k mikes with zero issues (knock wood). The quality of the redesigned interior is much better than the previous models we owned.

Her '09 Rogue was the first new Nissan I've ever owned. We bought it because NMAC gave us a very good rate during the great recession when other manufacturers wouldn't give us the time of day. That car, and the following Rogues never gave us any problems.

OP
OP
takemorepills

takemorepills

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Q60
bought a new titan xd in 2017 with the "new Nissan interior" and i agree with you on a lot of quality expectation's on this car.
my titan xd had numerous issue's including:
-paint was defective and truck was repainted twice. paint is known to be garbage on nissan's.
-rear door latch was loose from factory and caused paint/damage to door
-DEF tank was cross threaded during install and left loose from factory
-rear window seal replaced at 1 year due to wear
-driver side arm rest replaced due to stitching wear at 2 years
- driver side seat was ripped/worn at 4 years and 100,000km
Nissan fought me on every issue and always tried to take the cheapest way out and often didnt know their own warranty coverage.

after already viewing the new Z and seeing the issue's they are already experiencing ... i dont see it being any different .. but still have faith, if properly priced this will be a great car!
I wasn't happy about the Gen 2 Titan. My Gen 1 has been rock solid like a Camry.

However, my Q60 has experienced paint issues too. My driver's side mirror cap faded and was replaced, now the passenger side is faded and looks like poo.
Oddly, my Titan has spent it's entire life outside, I never clean it more than 3 times a year, and the paint is in excellent condition. Gen 1 Titan were also known for paint issues.

My wife's Rogue is approaching 40k mikes with zero issues (knock wood). The quality of the redesigned interior is much better than the previous models we owned.

Her '09 Rogue was the first new Nissan I've ever owned. We bought it because NMAC gave us a very good rate during the great recession when other manufacturers wouldn't give us the time of day. That car, and the following Rogues never gave us any problems.
We had a 1997 Maxima. Put 200k on it, only thing that ever went wrong was a cam sensor, $63 and easy to replace. At 200k, I bought a wrecked Infiniti I35 and swapped the VQ35 from it into the Maxima. Put another 100k on it, not one single issue except for near 300k total miles the driver's side rear door lock actuator occasionally wouldn't work. That car drove like new at 300k.
Only thing I didn't like about the car was it looked like a used bar of soap.