First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2016 Mustang GT
Occupation
nurse
Well I might have thought about it too long guys. I was just trying to order a Scat Pack at the 4% under invoice that a couple places were offering not very long ago and now one place will only do invoice plus a $899 doc fee while the other place may still do it, but they want 3k down for a deposit! Both of these places are a fairly long distance away so I tried my local dealer who said he could do 1% under invoice last year, but now he is saying their cost at minimum if he can even order one because of the shortage of inventory right now. So I'm like I want to spend 50k plus on a car which is a for sure sale and you don't want to sell me one? He is supposed to talk to his boss and get back to me. I know it may take 2-3 months to get one at this point with the shortages, but I would take one key fob if that's what it would take. I passed on looking at a couple on the lots at a few grand discount because they didn't have all the options I wanted recently so I may end up regretting that. But when spending this kind of money, I really want to be sure if has pretty much everything I wanted on it.

IDK, I may check into ordering a mach 1 now too, but if its the same deal maybe its the writing on the wall that now isn't the time to buy a new car and I should just wait it out and see what the Z ends up offering by the end of the year. The only silver lining is used car prices are up to historic levels so I would get a few more grand out of my Mustang in trade.

Last edited:

Bobcat

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2016 Mustang GT
Occupation
nurse
Well I found a guy (of all places on a Mustang forum) that can get me a Challenger or a Mach 1 for 2% under invoice! I spec'd out a mach 1 automatic premium with upgraded wheels and stereo and a widebody scat pack shaker nearly loaded for about the same price and I can get either one for a little over 4k off MSRP, but it could take more than 3 months to arrive. IDK, I'm leaning towards the Challenger as it has more features, looks better and is more practical, but know the stang would handle better, have more potential and a lot cheaper to mod, but don't really like the limited color choices. I'm thinking of changing the Scat Pack trim to a 1320 too as It would be quicker and a couple grand less even if I load it up with nearly every option available. I do like the caramel seats you can get in the WB though. It looks sick in Sinamon Stick, but also very good in Hellraisin and Octane. I have yet to find out if I have to put a deposit down, but if its only 500 maybe I should do it and if the trade values tank by the end of summer or we find out the Z will get a good tranny and is worth waiting for, I could always walk and not be out that much.

N_dinunz

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2011 Honda Civic Si
Occupation
Product Development Engineer at PRL Motorsports
I don’t plan on buying a Z as a daily driver, so it’s hard to say. I’m stuck between two alternative options. If no Z, but I want to keep my current daily, I’ll probably pick up a clean S2000 as a project car. If I want to get rid of my current daily and get a new one, I might find a clean used BMW 340i M sport with a manual

orclean1

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
civic
only other car I am considering is the 718 sypder with 6 speed . Its cost is more then double that of a Z which makes me lean towards the ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ

Haste

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
'23 Civic Type R, '09 335i, '23 Kona N
2022 M240i and 2022 Golf R are being looked at. Both will be out about the same time as 400Z. Have never owned a BMW, currently own 2016 GTI, previously owned 1991 300ZX.
I prefer the design of the F22 M240i over the G42 M240i. G42 having updated B58 is a plus. F22 built in Germany, G42 built in Mexico. I'm sure it will be a nice car, but it looks pretty silly to me. Badges removed I would probably mistake it for a base model not a M Sport.

From everything I've seen the Mk8 R is a substantial improvement to the Mk7. Earlier this year I shopped around for a Mk7 R but glad I didn't pull the trigger. I hear that the 6MT leaves a lot to be desired, and I'm not interested in the DSG as we currently have one in a VW.

The R and Z are obviously pretty different cars, but I can also see why someone might cross shop them. If the need for my next car had some purpose other than getting from point A to point B, and I didn't have other cars, then I'd definitely consider the R. I've owned a Z twice as an only car and it can be challenging at times.

Haste

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
'23 Civic Type R, '09 335i, '23 Kona N
If the Z does not pan out, i.e. needs lots of 'upgrades' to be track worthy, I'd go with a low miles Cayman GT4.
Aren't you lucky to find a low mile 981 GT4 below $80k? 718 GT4's are way out of the question for me. I really like that they make the GTS 4.0, but still a little too rich for my blood.

trackratZ

First Name
August
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
240Z RB26DETT,Glady Rubi, Model Y LR, 987 Cayman S
Occupation
Software security
Aren't you lucky to find a low mile 981 GT4 below $80k? 718 GT4's are way out of the question for me. I really like that they make the GTS 4.0, but still a little too rich for my blood.
Those 718 GT4s are great out of the box, no need for tons of upgrades, will see about finding one, search starting....and I'm just not a Vette fan, not my style.

Ziggy

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Abarth 124
I’ve been looking at used Shelby GT350s all of a sudden. So I guess add that to my list of cars I’m considering instead. I want an ICE vehicle worth remembering during the EV revolution.

Metal

First Name
Mitchell
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2005 Mazda Rx-8
Occupation
Engineer - Telecom
The only other car I'm looking at is a C6 Z06 corvette. Manual, 500HP, 3100 pounds, and there's a good selection of them with not too many miles. The Z is still my top choice as long as I can actually get my hands on one for under 50k (hopefully the dealers don't screw us).