What other cars are you considering?

takemorepills

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Q60
Well, I'm due for a new truck also. It seems the new Tundra and Nissan Z are going to be available at about the same time, although the Z's official release is in 2 days, and the Tundra is still being teased, but I bet the on-sale dates are pretty close, they're both considered MY2022.

It'll depend on if one of them has ADMs and one doesn't, I'll buy the one without ADMs first. I currently have an older Nissan Titan and a Q60. I have always owned a FS truck and a car. The truck is old and beat, but reliable, and the Q60 has lots of life left in it. I only have the funds for one vehicle, and the Tundra would be my most expensive vehicle purchase ever if I went through with it.

I'm not really cross-shopping the Z against anything else, I did see a 2021 Challenger 6MT ScatPack WB for $45K earlier this year, I actually went in to buy it, and the dealer put an invoice in front of me for $55K. There was a $10K ADM they never disclosed, and I walked out. That was just a whim, but I had the checkbook out and was gonna do it.

jdm-rhd

First Name
rob
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
95 hardtop supra, 93 widebody rx7, 93 stockish rx7
Occupation
videogame tester/skater
i keep looking at this car...its above what i was willing to pay for my next car. it is however within reach, but id be stuck in the same situation of needing a dd, i cant afford this and the z...it would have to be one or the other...hence a first world problem catch 22 for me. the smart move would be to get the z because i wouldnt daily the lotus....i couldnt lol.

DevonK

First Name
Take a guess
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
TBD
Here's something from a guy who dumped a Bullit for a Miata, his arguments resonate with me wrt the Z to some extent. Wish the Miata offered rev matching.

Denver the Last Dinosaur

First Name
Denver
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
cardboard box
Looking at Australian prices, you can get two Toyota 86 / Subaru BRZ cars for the price of a Nissan Z :( which of course further proves they aren't really comparable car types.

jdrxb9

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
ND2
Here's something from a guy who dumped a Bullit for a Miata, his arguments resonate with me wrt the Z to some extent. Wish the Miata offered rev matching.
I only made it through a couple minutes of this - as an ND2 owner, I agree with the great shifter, and the 'usability' of the (modest) power, but anybody that says a base (or club) ND2 with no mods is as close to a go kart as anything he's ever driven needs to drive some more cars :) - like an Elise ? Even a BRZ/FRS/etc (that I had before the ND2), feels 'tighter' with less body roll than any unmodified ND.

PS - bet you can find a youtube for how to heel toe rev match - no automation needed :)

DevonK

First Name
Take a guess
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
TBD
I only made it through a couple minutes of this - as an ND2 owner, I agree with the great shifter, and the 'usability' of the (modest) power, but anybody that says a base (or club) ND2 with no mods is as close to a go kart as anything he's ever driven needs to drive some more cars :) - like an Elise ? Even a BRZ/FRS/etc (that I had before the ND2), feels 'tighter' with less body roll than any unmodified ND.

PS - bet you can find a youtube for how to heel toe rev match - no automation needed :)
The 2022s introduce some new tech (slightly braking the inner rear wheel on fast cornering) that according to Aussie reviews goes a good way to reduce the roly-poly and makes the car handle even better. And yes the Miata is supposed to have one of the best pedal box setups for heel-toe, just don't know if I want to risk it on a new car.

LeatherWings

First Name
Jasper
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
NA & ND Miata | Xterra | Honda 919 | Honda Grom

This is also where I'm at. The new Z is obviously the winner in the sex appeal and power department, but I just know that I'd have so much friggin' fun in a Miata - all while saving a pretty significant chunk o' cash.

As the saying goes: It's more fun to drive a slow car fast than it is to drive a fast car slow.

When I look at the Z, I definitely have a more visceral reaction - one that I don't get by looking at a Miata. But I gotta decide what's more important to me: the badass allure of the Z? Or the inexpensive, fun and playful Miata... Both have their merits.

Last edited:

LeatherWings

First Name
Jasper
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
The 2022s introduce some new tech (slightly braking the inner rear wheel on fast cornering) that according to Aussie reviews goes a good way to reduce the roly-poly and makes the car handle even better. And yes the Miata is supposed to have one of the best pedal box setups for heel-toe, just don't know if I want to risk it on a new car.
Yeah, one of the Aus reviewers on YT said that the new KPC feature's improvement in handling over the non-KPC Miata is like what the prior Club model's handling was in comparison to the Sport base model.

Last edited:

takemorepills

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Q60
So, I checked this out yesterday:
IMG_20220316_153634652_HDR.jpg

It seems that the high gas prices have caused these once unobtanium an ADM'ed Tundras to suddenly become available. Ugh, I own both a truck and a sporty car, and my current truck is 16 years old, but my Q60 is still like new.... Real difficult to resist. Asking price only $50k

LeatherWings

First Name
Jasper
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
So, I checked this out yesterday:
IMG_20220316_153634652_HDR.jpg

It seems that the high gas prices have caused these once unobtanium an ADM'ed Tundras to suddenly become available. Ugh, I own both a truck and a sporty car, and my current truck is 16 years old, but my Q60 is still like new.... Real difficult to resist. Asking price only $50k
choose-wisely.jpg

Donalex

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
1995 Nissan 300ZX
Once you're behind the wheel, the look of the car is not really that important. It's not like you can see yourself driving.