What car are you getting instead of the Z?

MARLEY

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 RAM 1500 Laramie
Occupation
US Coast Guard
Well I sold my Peugeot…thought it would take a while…took 2 days
So I bought a Hyundai i20 to get me through that can be passed onto my younger son…i mean it’s not really “instead of” but forced to buy, to get bye

I’m pretty sad, it’s not much fun to drive ?
Just think, it will make the Z feel that much better when you upgrade.

West Aussie

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Hyundai I20
...the son is excited right?

:p ...right?

:) ..yeah?

? ...um, right?

? ...uh

☹ ...uh hyuuuundai?

?

j/k - im sure he's excited...its a car!
He actually is …it’s a car at 16 that he doesn’t have to pay for…it will do for him to learn in. I can’t believe the price of used cars though at the moment.

West Aussie

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Hyundai I20
Just think, it will make the Z feel that much better when you upgrade.
I actually cried as it drove off into the distance ( remember I’m a girl…it’s acceptable)
I mean i know it was the right thing to do in terms of getting what I wanted instead of a crappy trade in. But the thing with a trade in is, when you hand your car over you get a nice new shiny one…not a crappy 10 year old shoe box on wheels ?
Oh my goodness, the Z can not come soon enough

Bunnzilla

First Name
Bunny
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Stanza Wagon
So I bought a Hyundai i20 to get me through that can be passed onto my younger son…i mean it’s not really “instead of” but forced to buy, to get bye

Really? I’ve heard that car has a LOT of fanfare in the hot hatch community and might give Honda a good “run for its money.” I assumed it would be fun to toss around on the streets. Heck, my friend’s unmodded Accent was even a lot of fun to drive 15 years ago. We got that thing sideways many times. The light weight of the vehicle was terrifying and exhilarating at the same time.

West Aussie

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Hyundai I20
Really? I’ve heard that car has a LOT of fanfare in the hot hatch community and might give Honda a good “run for its money.” I assumed it would be fun to toss around on the streets. Heck, my friend’s unmodded Accent was even a lot of fun to drive 15 years ago. We got that thing sideways many times. The light weight of the vehicle was terrifying and exhilarating at the same time.
Nah, In Aus it’s known as a “grandmas car” there is a sports version of the i30….but this is not it…it is I’m afraid, thegrandma version

OP
OP
jdm-rhd

jdm-rhd

First Name
rob
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
95 hardtop supra, 93 widebody rx7, 93 stockish rx7
Occupation
videogame tester/skater
If you asked me this question 5 years ago, I would have said the fight is between an 86 and whatever Nissan came up with, but for me, the new Z is the clear frontrunner in that competition.

The alternative I am seriously considering is an M3. It has been my *other* dream car, after the GTR and Z, for a long time. The difference between now and 5 years ago is that now I make a little more money, and I’m married with talks of popping out a kid. My husband will not stop me from getting the Z, but lack of a backseat has him less than enthusiastic about it.

I also considered the M340i, but after lots of research, it is sorely overpriced and you might as well buy a base M3 at that price. The M2 is an attractive option, as someone else mentioned, but if I need a backseat, then I probably also want 4 doors. I’m driving a 4-door sedan right now, and it’s a nice little luxury to have. Normally, I’d get a slightly aged certified pre-owned vehicle, but the prices on those are as high as the new, so really no point anymore. Well, except the ugly grill on the new M3, but I think the aftermarket can help me correct that.

That said, I feel sad if I miss out on this real opportunity to buy a brand new Z. I’ve never purchased a new car, and I always imaged a Z would be my first one. We also do not have enough physical room for me to own 2 cars, and my budget can’t afford it, either. I am sad that putting family first might crush my Z dreams for now, but hey… the M3 doesn’t suck.

My final alternative is a used GTR. At least there’s a backseat, and Godzilla really *is* my dream car. Hit me up if you know of someone reliable looking to offload theirs in the greater Atlanta area.
believe me a practical vehicle is ususally not fun....you will second guess yourself.
get whats fun i say...

trackratZ

First Name
August
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
240Z RB26DETT,Glady Rubi, Model Y LR, 987 Cayman S
Occupation
Software security
I’d have to go with dynamics - steering feel, clutch action, chassis tightness - well explained here. Not all about power, weight is more important.

Still my first alternative, Cayman S.

Going back to this review again.

ZZ2022

First Name
Blake
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2008 R35 GTR

Congrats and Commiserations on the sale! its hard saying good bye.

I almost feel if you sell the car really quick that you sold it too cheap, but in this current market its hard to judge the value of cars are they are all over the place

Bring on the Z to get you over the Peugeot quicker hopefully!

West Aussie

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Hyundai I20
Congrats and Commiserations on the sale! its hard saying good bye.

I almost feel if you sell the car really quick that you sold it too cheap, but in this current market its hard to judge the value of cars are they are all over the place

Bring on the Z to get you over the Peugeot quicker hopefully!
Yes l..that did cross our minds, but as we got 10k more than the dealer was willing to give, we were happy, meant the little run around was more than paid for so my son gets a car out of it, everything is selling at present,most of the cars left in the car yards are damaged and are still going ….a sign if the times with lack of availability

takemorepills

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Q60
Tesla lists for about 57k, but after a quick search it looks like you can't actually touch a new one for less than mid-60's. I don't know if they still offer any kind of tax savings for electric cars or not though?
I think Tesla used up all of their tax credits, so when you buy a Tesla, you pay full price, no subsidies from the Feds unless your State offers subsidies.

Most other EVs and PHEVs still qualify for the Federal subsidies. Hummer, Rivian, Lucid, they should all qualify for $7500 off.

Houston.RZ34

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
15 Q50 S (3.7) 23 Stingray HTC
Occupation
CIO
In my opinion as an enthusiast, there isn't a better option for under 50k than the new Z, over 50k and it's C8 time and you won't find a better car until you get into exotic territory and from there is the badge and maintenance costs really worth it over the C8 Z-06?

Z34 v2.0 for me until the C8Z hype dies down.

OP
OP
jdm-rhd

jdm-rhd

First Name
rob
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
95 hardtop supra, 93 widebody rx7, 93 stockish rx7
Occupation
videogame tester/skater
In my opinion as an enthusiast, there isn't a better option for under 50k than the new Z, over 50k and it's C8 time and you won't find a better car until you get into exotic territory and from there is the badge and maintenance costs really worth it over the C8 Z-06?

Z34 v2.0 for me until the C8Z hype dies down.
this is true now that the new wrx is out of the running for me.
i dont really look at anything euro, but the new lotus is still on the radar...not sure what exact price is yet.

Houston.RZ34

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
15 Q50 S (3.7) 23 Stingray HTC
Occupation
CIO
this is true now that the new wrx is out of the running for me.
i dont really look at anything euro, but the new lotus is still on the radar...not sure what exact price is yet.
UK retail for £76k (about $105k USD)