What car are you getting instead of the Z?

BobDigi5060

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
10r80 5.0, G37X, C4 LT1
Been looking into the Mach 1 extensively, the GT350 bits are very track worthy, even though the Coyote is the same GT mill. Pricing a bit high for that pkg, but if below invoice that’s a good buy?
I'd choose a 1LE over the Mach 1 and GT350.

I ended up with a 10r80 5.0. The 5.0 is a more sophisticated engine, but Camaro has the better chassis and for this gen it's more sports car than pony/muscle car. Across the board Camaros are about a hundred pounds lighter, seating position is lower, etc. I never drove a 6th gen Camaro before I made my decision between the two so I suggest you should look at both.

For the record, zero regrets with my purchase. The 10r80 and 5.0 are a great combo and mine is so much fun. I rarely redline, but the gen 3 pulls so hard up top it's almost not necessary unless you're racing. With the seating position, body roll, top end, and 235 tires it really does feel like I'm riding a wild horse. Just a different kind of fun.. Sounds great in stock form and I love my mbrp race exhaust. I have BMR performance springs, but it's not nearly enough to make it handle and feel like I want.

Bobcat

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2016 Mustang GT
Occupation
nurse
wondered what you did.
when is delivery scheduled?

not sure if you know but i did end up getting another car myself.
I haven't heard anything or checked Dodge chat yet. It has been 8 weeks today and the dealer estimated 8-10 weeks. I'm really starting to second guess my decision after hearing that GM's new electric cars are supposed to do 0-60 in 3 seconds. Still don't know the price or what they will look like though. I know the Tesla Model 3 premium is in that ballpark for around 57k. IDK, I would rather have a ICE car but those times are quick esp. if they end up being affordable. I just don't know about getting the current fastest NA car with a 1320 badge on the side and being left in the dust at the stoplight by a run of the mill electric family sedan in a couple years. At least from a dig as I'm not sure how they do from a roll. I know there is a lot more to it than just acceleration, but still. I'm also wondering what will happen to current sport and muscle cars trade in values in a few years if and when these electric cars become mainstream by then? Now I do like the preview image of Dodges "e muscle" car they showed awhile back that seemed to look a lot like the classic Charger. BTW, what did you end up getting?

Last edited:

ZZ2022

First Name
Blake
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2008 R35 GTR
I haven't heard anything or checked Dodge chat yet. It has been 8 weeks today and the dealer estimated 8-10 weeks. I'm really starting to second guess my decision after hearing that GM's new electric cars are supposed to do 0-60 in 3 seconds. Still don't know the price or what they will look like though. I know the Tesla Model 3 premium is in that ballpark for around 57k. IDK, I would rather have a ICE car but those times are quick esp. if they end up being affordable. I just don't know about getting the current fastest NA car with a 1320 badge on the side and being left in the dust at the stoplight by a run of the mill electric family sedan in a couple years. At least from a dig as I'm not sure how they do from a roll. I know there is a lot more to it than just acceleration, but still. I'm also wondering what will happen to current sport and muscle cars trade in values in a few years if and when these electric cars become mainstream by then? Now I do like the preview image of Dodges "e muscle" car they showed awhile back that seemed to look a lot like the classic Charger. BTW, what did you end up getting?
I reckon it wont matter eventually how fast electric cars are, because it will all go driver less eventually and it wont matter about 0-60 times. Just my thought

Bunnzilla

First Name
Bunny
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Stanza Wagon
Yeah i went used GTR instead of waiting for the Z. They were both my options, and i justified the GTR because it should maintain good resale value too
What year is it and what was the milage when you picked it up?

trackratZ

First Name
August
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
240Z RB26DETT,Glady Rubi, Model Y LR, 987 Cayman S
Occupation
Software security
Looking like an alternative if the Z is backlogged. This will replace the trusty Xterra at high miles. More and more Level 2 and 3 chargers are propping up. Such capable trucks, check out their Trans Atlantic Trail test. I don't care so much about 0-60 (ICEs have no chance anyway), but so capable are these trucks off-road with instant torque and 835 available total hp, torque vectoring, etc. Amazing, the future is just about here.

https://www.motortrend.com/features/2022-rivian-r1t-suspension-explained/

siggy

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
A couple
I'd choose a 1LE over the Mach 1 and GT350.

I ended up with a 10r80 5.0. The 5.0 is a more sophisticated engine, but Camaro has the better chassis and for this gen it's more sports car than pony/muscle car. Across the board Camaros are about a hundred pounds lighter, seating position is lower, etc. I never drove a 6th gen Camaro before I made my decision between the two so I suggest you should look at both.

For the record, zero regrets with my purchase. The 10r80 and 5.0 are a great combo and mine is so much fun. I rarely redline, but the gen 3 pulls so hard up top it's almost not necessary unless you're racing. With the seating position, body roll, top end, and 235 tires it really does feel like I'm riding a wild horse. Just a different kind of fun.. Sounds great in stock form and I love my mbrp race exhaust. I have BMR performance springs, but it's not nearly enough to make it handle and feel like I want.
From a performance standpoint agree 100% on the 1LE. However, I find Camaros so uncomfortable. I once bought a super sexy Ducati. Best sounding, best looking bike, I ever owned. Also, the most uncomfortable bike I ever owned, and I sold it in 6 months. The performance gap is so small and not even discernable on the street. After that Duc I vowed to never sacrifice ergos. For me the ergos are just odd on the Camaro. Seems the masses have spoken with their poor sales as well. I really want to get behind it, but can't.

SS727Z

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
SS
Looking like an alternative if the Z is backlogged. This will replace the trusty Xterra at high miles. More and more Level 2 and 3 chargers are propping up. Such capable trucks, check out their Trans Atlantic Trail test. I don't care so much about 0-60 (ICEs have no chance anyway), but so capable are these trucks off-road with instant torque and 835 available total hp, torque vectoring, etc. Amazing, the future is just about here.

https://www.motortrend.com/features/2022-rivian-r1t-suspension-explained/
I would definitely get one if I had the cheddar..

siggy

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
A couple
You should just go with EV if you care about straight line performance. The 1320 is great, but a run of the mill Tesla as you say will take it off the line 99% of the time. The Plaid already is dominating the ICE engines in a straight line. Completely embarrassing everything. The only reason you would stay with the 1320 is for the driving experience, but it sounds like other factors are more important to you. On the street that 1320 will be left in the dust by most Performance model equipped Teslas. EV is the way of the future and the performance is improving VERY quickly.

Haste

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
'23 Civic Type R, '09 335i, '23 Kona N
Most likely nothing instead of the Z, but I'll probably end up buying something here soon if I don't stay off Autotrader and the like. I've got the another car bug/mod bug bad right now, and it'll be a while until I pick up the Z.

Zupra88

First Name
Cody
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2023 Nissan Z, 2022 F-150 Lariat
Occupation
Nursing Home Administrator
I was kicking around the idea of trading my Supra and getting a Porsche GT4 instead of the Z, but decided to keep the Supra and add the Z to the garage with it.

Bobcat

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2016 Mustang GT
Occupation
nurse
You should just go with EV if you care about straight line performance. The 1320 is great, but a run of the mill Tesla as you say will take it off the line 99% of the time. The Plaid already is dominating the ICE engines in a straight line. Completely embarrassing everything. The only reason you would stay with the 1320 is for the driving experience, but it sounds like other factors are more important to you. On the street that 1320 will be left in the dust by most Performance model equipped Teslas. EV is the way of the future and the performance is improving VERY quickly.
Well 0-60 isn't everything, but still don't want to be embarrassed by a family sedan EV whos main purpose isn't supposed to be straight line speed. I wouldn't mind being beat by a true "muscle e" car that has 2 doors and looks the part though, but they are coming out with SUV's and EV trucks that are seriously fast too. Right now there really isn't anything available that I would want. That performance trim Tesla lists for about 57k, but after a quick search it looks like you can't actually touch a new one for less than mid-60's. I don't know if they still offer any kind of tax savings for electric cars or not though? Now in a couple years it looks like there may be some decent options. IDK, I guess maybe I should accept my Challenger when it comes in as long as the value doesn't tank in a few years (I know nobody really knows at this point). I hate to lose the 1k deposit too, but then again if I could get something like the Z for several grand less not a huge deal. But then again, I refuse to pay over sticker on a new car and it sounds like these won't be available until at least next Summer.

West Aussie

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Hyundai I20
Well I sold my Peugeot…thought it would take a while…took 2 days
So I bought a Hyundai i20 to get me through that can be passed onto my younger son…i mean it’s not really “instead of” but forced to buy, to get bye

I’m pretty sad, it’s not much fun to drive ?

OP
OP
jdm-rhd

jdm-rhd

First Name
rob
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
95 hardtop supra, 93 widebody rx7, 93 stockish rx7
Occupation
videogame tester/skater
Well I sold my Peugeot…thought it would take a while…took 2 days
So I bought a i20 to get me through that can be passed onto my younger son…i mean it’s not really “instead of” but forced to buy, to get bye

I’m pretty sad, it’s not much fun to drive ?
...the son is excited right?

:p ...right?

:) ..yeah?

? ...um, right?

? ...uh

☹ ...uh hyuuuundai?

?

j/k - im sure he's excited...its a car!