VR30DDTT smoother than VQ37VHR with 6MT

bpeckham

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2023 Z Performance 6MT Blue/Graphite
I've been meaning to post this for a few weeks now, and here it is.

I had a G37 with the VQ37VHR engine and a 6MT. I always shifted into 6th around 60mph (chill driving), and the engine seemed to settle in to a smooth purr.

With the Z's VR30DDTT I've found myself still in 5th well above 60mph, and the car feels just as smooth. Then I realize I should've upshifted, or that I would've upshifted if I was in my G37.

I suppose this is just an artifact of the smaller displacement engine. Anybody else experience this? The Z seems more refined that the beastly G37. It feels perfectly comfortable cruising along at higher speeds in lower gears.

trackratZ

First Name
August
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
240Z RB26DETT,Glady Rubi, Model Y LR, 987 Cayman S
Occupation
Software security
If the VQ37 is similar to VQ35 I had in my G35S which I didn't like the coarse feeling revs (not to mention the touchy high-take-up clutch which was the worst) I'm sure the VR30 should be way smoother, thanks for confirming that.

Kbl911

First Name
K
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2017 370Z
Occupation
Wealth Management
If the VQ37 is similar to VQ35 I had in my G35S which I didn't like the coarse feeling revs (not to mention the touchy high-take-up clutch which was the worst) I'm sure the VR30 should be way smoother, thanks for confirming that.
The VQ37 is definitely a coarse-revving engine. If I wanted to spin it positively, I guess I could say that it's "visceral-feeling" but mileage may vary on that point.

takemorepills

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Q60
My VQ37 sounds like a rock tumbler with the windows closed. But, it sounds awesome (Infiniti Sports exhaust) with the windows open.

I've owned every version of VQ except the VQ25 and VQ40.

The original VQ30 was smooth as a sewing machine.The VQ35 wasn't too bad. This VQ37 is atrocious. I have heard that the VQ40 is even thrashier.