First Name
August
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
240Z RB26DETT,Glady Rubi, Model Y LR, 987 Cayman S
Occupation
Software security
Now that the manual Supra is coming out, and being familiar with tracking BMWs - S54, S55, N54 - I'm on the fence. For long term hard use, which is more reliable? I know BMWs had main bearing and vanos issues in the past, how about the VR30? Let's just compare stock to stock for now, which is more robust?

Last edited:

Blackbeard

First Name
Anthony
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
22 Supra
Occupation
Mechanic
i know there was a turbo issue a while back they supposedly fixed

forcer

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
E550
straight 6 is always more robust and balanced than v6

because_murica

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2013 Camaro SS-1LE
Occupation
Litigator
Turbo oil leaks and main bearing issues pre 2017. Now, seems ok - VR30.

B58 saw some random oil consumption issues for 2021. Seems ok now too.

rocksandblues

First Name
bob
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
GL450, m3, e90, GLC300, Zupra, C280
Occupation
taco bell
I have 17k hard track miles on b58 with no issues. There have been very little to zero issues with the Supra track guys I k know

can’t speak to any experience wiTh how the Z motor holds up. Never see many Zs on track in mid atlantic Maybe one every other event

because_murica

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2013 Camaro SS-1LE
Occupation
Litigator
I have 17k hard track miles on b58 with no issues. There have been very little to zero issues with the Supra track guys I k know

can’t speak to any experience wiTh how the Z motor holds up. Never see many Zs on track in mid atlantic Maybe one every other event
Well, unless you're talking about VQ Zs, you wouldn't have seen any Zs with VR30s thus far.

OP
OP
trackratZ

trackratZ

First Name
August
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Occupation
Software security
Well, unless you're talking about VQ Zs, you wouldn't have seen any Zs with VR30s thus far.
Exactly, I'm waiting for those in the Infiniti camp, about that motor. Even when mods are added, how does it stand up, heat management, internals, etc. More stock the more I'm interested in for now. Mods throw in too many variables.

forcer

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
E550
ive seen people complained alot on this vr30 engine btw, like too complex with tons of vacuum hoses and wires, direct injection carbon clogs, etc. doesnt sound sood for a car enthusiast, i would prefer a good old RB or JZ

OP
OP
trackratZ

trackratZ

First Name
August
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Occupation
Software security
lets discuss timing chains...
You mean, drive belt, good lead-in found this:

"The drive belt is also known as an accessory belt or serpentine belt. It’s one of the more common problems on the Nissan VR30DDTT engine. However, these issues are hopefully resolved for the long-term by now. Infiniti did address this VR30 failure with a service bulletin, and it doesn’t seem to be a common issue on newer engines. It mostly affects 2016 and 2017 Infiniti Q50 and Q60 models.

We typically avoid discussing these sorts of failures since all new engines are subject to minor design flaws. Fortunately, Nissan and Infiniti were quick to address the VR30DDTT drive belt problems. It’s still worth the mention since serpentine belt failure can cause a plethora of more serious failures.

Drive belts slipping off the pulley is the main issue at hand. Once that occurs you’ll notice power loss, engine lights, etc. It can also cause the engine to overheat causing further damage. Again, 2018+ VR30DDTT models shouldn’t run into drive belt issues but it’s not impossible. If you own a 2016 or 2017 engine and the drive belt has not been addressed then it’s a good thing to look into sooner than later."

https://tuningpro.co/the-3-most-common-nissan-vr30ddtt-engine-problems/

because_murica

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2013 Camaro SS-1LE
Occupation
Litigator
ive seen people complained alot on this vr30 engine btw, like too complex with tons of vacuum hoses and wires, direct injection carbon clogs, etc. doesnt sound sood for a car enthusiast, i would prefer a good old RB or JZ
You just described pretty much every modern engine. That's why we have catch cans.

jdm-rhd

First Name
rob
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
95 hardtop supra, 93 widebody rx7, 93 stockish rx7
Occupation
videogame tester/skater
You mean, drive belt, good lead-in found this:
no, i mean the timing chain on the b58, instead of being in the front of engine, it is at the back facing the firewall. its a pain to replace/repair vanos parts, replacing the timing chain would require removing the motor.

"However, the is one catch on the B58. The B58 timing chain was moved to the rear of the engine. Guess where the VANOS components reside? Right by the timing chain...at the back of the engine. So, we've got a bit of a headache here."

4 most common b58 problems...

https://bmwtuning.co/the-4-most-common-bmw-b58-engine-problems/#:~:text=Fortunately, VANOS issues on modern,the rear of the engine.

takemorepills

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Q60
My opinion.

In stock form I'm going to think both engines will have similar "reliability".

However, they'll each show weaknesses inherent to their design and manufacturer.

The B58, being an inline would probably hold up to high horsepower tuning better. I also understand that the turbo is much easier to access, so as a tuner I'm going to give the nod to the B58.

But, it is a BMW. I'm sure the mechanicals are reliable, but some fancier bits like the vanos location and BMW electronics in general would have me concerned with long term ownership. Even if the engine proves durable, if you break something it'll be expensive.
I'm tired of BMW fans trying to tell us that Toyota helped make the B58 reliable. That may be somewhat true, but only a damn moron would ignore BMW's well deserved reputation for poor reliability.
Let me be clear about my opinion, I think the Supra and most newer BMW's might be more reliable than past BMW's. I'm not saying I wouldn't own one, I just wouldn't own one that is older.... meaning higher miles and age.

The VR30 will likely be more reliable in stock form. Heck, I bet the entire vehicle is overall more reliable, initially and long term. Nissan didn't change much on this platform, and my Q60 is 8 years old and about 60k miles and everything still works and feels like the day I got it.
But, just like the Z32 that came before, the VR is extremely difficult to work on.
Compared to the B58, if both cars experience turbo failure, the BMW would likely come out as being significantly less expensive to repair. Win for BMW.
However, I suspect that the Z as a whole is overall more reliable. The chassis electronics, HVAC, trim, lighting, etc will likely be far more reliable than the BMW. That's been my experience with my Q60 compared to my previous German car.

It's a crapshoot. If you own either car 60k or less, get the one that checks more boxes. If you want a car as a retirement present or "last of it's kind" keeper, I'd bet on the Z.

Neither car will be as reliable as a 2002 Camry 4 banger.

because_murica

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2013 Camaro SS-1LE
Occupation
Litigator
For what it's worth, you also have to deal with a digital oil level measuring system on the B58 - which in my humble opinion is full- on f**king stupid. MKV guys have a thread devoted to finding the right dip stick to retrofit.

Even better, I've read on MKV forums that if said system fails, repair requires engine removal to replace the sensor.