Upgraded to Z1 sway bars...

Go2ZZZ

First Name
Murdock
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Infiniti Q50, 2023 Nissan Z Preformance
Way back when I bought my original 370Z, I noted that, while it would hold up to 1 g cornering, it had a rather distressing amount of body roll in doing so. I found that a pair of Eibach sway bars significantly fixed that problem and I drove that car for almost 12 years. Consequently, I was certain when I bought my new Z Performance, it would need sway bars since it was apparent that Nissan was bent on following their history and again migrating the Z platform toward becoming a bloated GT luxo-cruiser. As a result, I ordered a pair of Z1 sway bars before I even picked the new car up.

As expected, the suspension is soft. It's certainly comfortable to drive...quiet (by comparison) with a very compliant suspension. Also as expected., it had a LOT of body roll and I assumed that the (relatively) wimpy OEM sway bars were at least partially to blame for that roll and the notably softer steering. I had my local auto shop install the new Z1 bars. Now...I'm not a track guy and my performance demands are relatively mundane, limited mostly to "spirited" driving in this part of rural/vacationland Minnesota. Also, I was, perhaps unfairly comparing the new Z to the modified 370Z (tires and sway bars) that I had been driving for the last 12 years.

I had my local shop put the bars on, and unsurprisingly I did fInd that it significantly improved body roll and it did tighten up the steering feel at speed. Only issue has been due to the fact that I had them put the end links in the closest holes, and now I find that the suspension in a little too stiff. I feel every tar strip in the road. When I get a chance, I'm going to have them move the end links out the to far holes and see how that works.

All-in-all, sway bars are a very cost-effective addition. Z1 was great to buy from...fast shipping, very robust packaging.
Glad to hear. I have many parts to install for next spring as my is stored now.
I got the sway bars and tie bar.

Mr&Mrs

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
RZ34
Way back when I bought my original 370Z, I noted that, while it would hold up to 1 g cornering, it had a rather distressing amount of body roll in doing so. I found that a pair of Eibach sway bars significantly fixed that problem and I drove that car for almost 12 years. Consequently, I was certain when I bought my new Z Performance, it would need sway bars since it was apparent that Nissan was bent on following their history and again migrating the Z platform toward becoming a bloated GT luxo-cruiser. As a result, I ordered a pair of Z1 sway bars before I even picked the new car up.

As expected, the suspension is soft. It's certainly comfortable to drive...quiet (by comparison) with a very compliant suspension. Also as expected., it had a LOT of body roll and I assumed that the (relatively) wimpy OEM sway bars were at least partially to blame for that roll and the notably softer steering. I had my local auto shop install the new Z1 bars. Now...I'm not a track guy and my performance demands are relatively mundane, limited mostly to "spirited" driving in this part of rural/vacationland Minnesota. Also, I was, perhaps unfairly comparing the new Z to the modified 370Z (tires and sway bars) that I had been driving for the last 12 years.

I had my local shop put the bars on, and unsurprisingly I did fInd that it significantly improved body roll and it did tighten up the steering feel at speed. Only issue has been due to the fact that I had them put the end links in the closest holes, and now I find that the suspension in a little too stiff. I feel every tar strip in the road. When I get a chance, I'm going to have them move the end links out the to far holes and see how that works.

All-in-all, sway bars are a very cost-effective addition. Z1 was great to buy from...fast shipping, very robust packaging.
The 370 wasn't an unfair comparison, this car is soft from the factory, too soft. I also felt like the front end was floaty, maybe it was just me. Ive since added all of Z1s subframe reinforcement, sway bars and end links, and adjusted my tire pressures, they were still set high from factory shipping. The car feels great now and still isnt rough IMO. Yesterday I installed my Z1 R-PRO coils but have not had a chance to drive it yet. Those will allow me to fully fine tune the car to my liking.

I typed up my experience with Z1 but don't want to turn this into a detailed Z1 review. So I deleted it and will just say after spending what I, and most would say is a very large sum of money. They would get a 7/10 rating from me.

PriZ

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
'05 G35, '92 G20, '23 Nissan Z
The 370 wasn't an unfair comparison, this car is soft from the factory, too soft. I also felt like the front end was floaty, maybe it was just me. Ive since added all of Z1s subframe reinforcement, sway bars and end links, and adjusted my tire pressures, they were still set high from factory shipping. The car feels great now and still isnt rough IMO. Yesterday I installed my Z1 R-PRO coils but have not had a chance to drive it yet. Those will allow me to fully fine tune the car to my liking.

I typed up my experience with Z1 but don't want to turn this into a detailed Z1 review. So I deleted it and will just say after spending what I, and most would say is a very large sum of money. They would get a 7/10 rating from me.
Please update when you get a chance to drive with the R-pros. Your setup is very close to mine and the next step I'm considering is which coilovers to go with.

OP
OP
MacCool

MacCool

First Name
Mac
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2024 Performance Z, GMC2500HD (winter), others
Occupation
retired

LOL. My wife of 42 years is not a car enthusiast. The other day, she wanted to drive my new Z. We went for a drive, and after a lot of rather tentative back road twisties, we hit a long asphalt staightaway and I encouraged her to put her foot in it. She took me at my word and when we hit 105 mph, she nonchalantly said "the front end feels kind of floaty", and backed down. It reminded me, again, not to underestimate her.

Mr&Mrs

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
RZ34
Please update when you get a chance to drive with the R-pros. Your setup is very close to mine and the next step I'm considering is which coilovers to go with.
Got the car on the ground today. It feels pretty good. I've never had pillowball mounts before so it can give an odd sensation at times but not in a bad way. You know how sometimes you hit an uneven part of the road and the car tries to pull towards it. Almost that feeling but the car stayed straight. So good feedback on an elevation difference without the need for a correction. Im not sure if I explained that well but that is what I felt. It also feels another leap better than stock suspension with the reinforcements and upgraded swaybars. Very happy thus far.

LOL. My wife of 42 years is not a car enthusiast. The other day, she wanted to drive my new Z. We went for a drive, and after a lot of rather tentative back road twisties, we hit a long asphalt staightaway and I encouraged her to put her foot in it. She took me at my word and when we hit 105 mph, she nonchalantly said "the front end feels kind of floaty", and backed down. It reminded me, again, not to underestimate her.
I noticed it even at low speeds, actually didn't have the car over highway speeds until I started tuning it. At least I know I wasn't crazy.

PriZ

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Got the car on the ground today. It feels pretty good. I've never had pillowball mounts before so it can give an odd sensation at times but not in a bad way. You know how sometimes you hit an uneven part of the road and the car tries to pull towards it. Almost that feeling but the car stayed straight. So good feedback on an elevation difference without the need for a correction. Im not sure if I explained that well but that is what I felt. It also feels another leap better than stock suspension with the reinforcements and upgraded swaybars. Very happy thus far.

I noticed it even at low speeds, actually didn't have the car over highway speeds until I started tuning it. At least I know I wasn't crazy.
Interesting, the description does make sense though. How about rear traction? One thing I've been trying to really dial in is grip under open throttle. If it already breaks loose while at stock power it will be a mess as I dial it up. The R-pros are interesting because they're 16k spring rate in the front and 8k rear, which seems like it would give the car a good squat. But not totally sure. Still trying to wrap my head around how different sets will behave.

Last edited:

Mr&Mrs

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
RZ34
Interesting, the description does make sense though. How about rear traction? One thing I've been trying to really dial in is grip under open throttle. If it already breaks loose while at stock power it will be a mess as I dial it up. The R-pros are interesting because they're 16k damping in the front and 8k rear, which seems like it would give the car a good squat.
Currently going through the slow process of remote tuning. I’m only able to drive the car normally for now, unless instructed to do a data log at WOT. My first revision just came tonight so I will do a 3rd thru 5th pull tomorrow. I’m on factory tires right now and with my mods and this tune when finalized I can forget about any traction in 1st and 2nd gear. I will let you know as soon as I can though. I also have the rear diff brace, people said it makes a huge difference. I don’t have a stock comparison to apply my thoughts or feelings on it though. I’m still technically breaking the car in so I had not driven it past 4500 RPMs. Car isn’t even going to have 750 miles on it, but in January it’s getting the Z1 VRX70B Turbos installed lol

PriZ

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Currently going through the slow process of remote tuning. I’m only able to drive the car normally for now, unless instructed to do a data log at WOT. My first revision just came tonight so I will do a 3rd thru 5th pull tomorrow. I’m on factory tires right now and with my mods and this tune when finalized I can forget about any traction in 1st and 2nd gear. I will let you know as soon as I can though. I also have the rear diff brace, people said it makes a huge difference. I don’t have a stock comparison to apply my thoughts or feelings on it though. I’m still technically breaking the car in so I had not driven it past 4500 RPMs. Car isn’t even going to have 750 miles on it, but in January it’s getting the Z1 VRX70B Turbos installed lol
Ah ok gotcha makes sense. Yeah I'm opting to fix the handling characteristics first before starting to dial up the power. Sounds like we're both moving toward the same general goal. You'll have a ton of fun once the break-in period and tune are wrapped up!

Mr&Mrs

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
RZ34
Actually googled it real quick to make sure I wasnt giving bad information, it is even in this Nissan video.

32 Front / 29 Rear - in the official Nissan video - looks like a yellow proto z - 19" tires - pause video @ 25 second mark.

Tire size / vehicle weight dictates tire pressure . . .

TheRoyalStig

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
??

Hey there! Just wanted to check in and see of you ever got to try out the softer setting on the sway bars.

I also don't want something too aggressive so I was hoping to get your feedback there.

OP
OP
MacCool

MacCool

First Name
Mac
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2024 Performance Z, GMC2500HD (winter), others
Occupation
retired
Hey there! Just wanted to check in and see of you ever got to try out the softer setting on the sway bars.

I also don't want something too aggressive so I was hoping to get your feedback there.
Sorry, I wanted to give it more time to decide, and now, with snow on the ground, the car is in the storage garage under cover.

I will say that that the more I drove it, the more I got used to it and the less it bothered me. I never found it to be so harsh that it was unpleasant, it was just ... different. Even so, if I had it to do over again, I would have had them use the end-hole (less stiff). Whichever, changing the hole position would be a simple task without going on a lift.

TheRoyalStig

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
??
Sorry, I wanted to give it more time to decide, and now, with snow on the ground, the car is in the storage garage under cover.

I will say that that the more I drove it, the more I got used to it and the less it bothered me. I never found it to be so harsh that it was unpleasant, it was just ... different. Even so, if I had it to do over again, I would have had them use the end-hole (less stiff). Whichever, changing the hole position would be a simple task without going on a lift.
Thanks for the response!

Maybe I'll just grab them when I do my exhaust and hope the less stiff option doesn't feel too harsh for me.

KCZ

First Name
KCZ
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Nissan Z, Evora, Boxster, Jeep, Xterra.
I sympathize with the snowbank problem. It's unusual for me to be able to drive a Z car this far into November. Normally, my car would be back in the storage garage on a battery tender and my DD would be my 3/4 ton GMC.
Same here , I have the 6 speed performance, I ordered in Ocotober
Only thing I received was full sway bar set with end links
Still waiting on upper control arms , rear traction arms, rear camber arms, and subframe tie brace. My airlift 3p is sitting in my bedroom for over a month waiting to get it installed with z1 suspension .
also I already installed my z1 rear diff brace and it helps
I finally received the coilovers (S), front control arms, and rear traction and camber arms, and as predicted, had to drag the boxes through a snowbank to get them into the garage, where it was 7 degrees this am. They won't be installed until spring. My DD's are an Xterra and Jeep until then.