First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 AMG C63S, 2020 Tacoma TRD Sport
Occupation
Retired
Fast Intentions, ARK, Borla, aFe, HKS and Motordyne all use 2.5" tubing on the Q60 VR30 platform.

Last edited:

Loco38SUP

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 GR Supra
Occupation
Engineer
Maybe because the company that engineered a 400hp 3.0 V6 knows more about exhaust flow than your local muffler shop?
Who said anything about local muffler shops? All the aftermarket performance companies go with at least 2.5”. Looks more like a cost cutting measure to me.

-RJM

takemorepills

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Q60
Who said anything about local muffler shops? All the aftermarket performance companies go with at least 2.5”. Looks more like a cost cutting measure to me.

-RJM
Ok.

They're able to get 400hp out of it. What's the benefit to larger diameter exhaust if they've already met the performance goals?

Jah_Happy

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2023 Z (Everest White, Performance, 6MT)
Ok.

They're able to get 400hp out of it. What's the benefit to larger diameter exhaust if they've already met the performance goals?
Seems like a losing battle here haha. He's arguing aftermarket vs OEM. Not sure ive ever seen 3" pipes from the turbo back as a standard option lol.

Raven1

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2007 350z HR Motor
Occupation
503rd Lead Farmer

-RJM
In researching exhausts in the past, specifically, in order to extract power in F.I. applications,
I want sewer pipes for exhaust
I Gotchu !!

IMG_9868.gif

Raven1

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2007 350z HR Motor
Occupation
503rd Lead Farmer
Oh Wow, Noticed my above response didn't fully post. What I meant to communicate is . . .

The 2.5" is an industry standard as 2.5" doesn't require a tune where anything larger Could/will/ Maybe cause engine management issues requiring a tune. Plus switching back to 2.5" from 3" will require a tune again to avoid issues, this is specifically true if the vehicle already has full down pipes. Lower down pipes or OEM down pipes will vary depending on the exhaust design. At least, this was found to be true with the Q50/Q60.

In researching exhausts in the past, specifically, in order to extract power in F.I. applications, the 3" exhausts is best to have your tuner do their optimizations to achieve the Highest Hoarse Perrs of the exhaust. It's NOT a requirement, but to optimize what you have volumetrically. Same for Intake, when increasing the size of the Heat Exchanger (Mishimoto for example drops the temps by 21.0F/6.1C with 196% Increase In Air Volume) allowing more, Cooler Air to get to the cylinders. The more efficient the air flow, the higher volume of air flow nets more Hoarse Perrs at lower boost pressure keeping your turbos happy.

However, our New Zee has inherited the Legendry Godzilla Heat Exchanger System. They're Basically Mini Heat Exchangers Directly in Front of The Throttle Bodies. Meaning, by upgrading the amount of Cooling (Larger Heat Exchangers) Volume nets Even Moar Hoarse Perrs !! Tell Me More You Say?? Gladly! The charged air flow (pressurized air After the Turbos) benefits from larger volumes, generally the after market will shape the components to provide smoother more gradual air flow as the charged air transitions from turbo to Primary (Larger Heat Exchanger everyone is used to seeing in the front of the car) Heat Exchanger flowing to the secondary Heat Exchangers at the throttle bodies.

I Digress - Back on Topic

Typically the 1st thing that gets upgraded/swapped out is the exhaust system. To accommodate the heat exchanger upgrades once they do happen. The cost being so high it might best to go 3" from the beginning (AAM makes one for $1,900.00) with the 2.5" coming at right around the same price give or take 10 to 20 dollars. 3" full down pipes, should come next, but, if you do the down pipes 1st they should have the 3" to 2.5" adapters. The do the Heat Exchanger Upgrades and Welcome to the 500 Hoarse Perrs Club Baby !!!

RicerX

First Name
Z
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Titan Pro4X

-RJM
Part of it might be cost cutting, but I'd wager is has more to do with maintaining noise level threshold as mandated in Japan as well as a requirement for heat management. Heat soak is a major issue with boosted cars in general, and there's not much space to work with in this car, so every extra bit of space they can create is probably money on that front.

That said, even back in my Altima coupe days, the 3.5V6 had a y-pipe that went down to 1.5" diameter in sections of it. This particular design choice isn't anything new for them, however it is curious in a turbocharged application.

RicerX

First Name
Z
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Titan Pro4X
Fast Intentions, ARK, Borla, aFe, HKS and Motordyne all use 2.5" tubing on the Q60 VR30 platform.
FI uses 3" for the downpipe sections on the VR30DDTT and 2.5" afterward.

They also option a 3" turbo-back exhaust for their boosted 370Z applications.

TitanZ

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2019 Titan SL 4x4 Midnight Edition
Close-up on the lower grill opening of this car you can already see where the road debris & bugs are hitting the cooling fins on the radiator. Looks like a mesh grill insert might be a good DIY install to protect from potential damage...similar to the aftermarket radiator protection grill screens for the front of the Porsche Caymans. But as many have mocked the appearance of the rectangular grill opening of the new Z, this shape should make it easy to fit & install a grill screen in the lower section.

1659306506916.png

takemorepills

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Q60
Close-up on the lower grill opening of this car you can already see where the road debris & bugs are hitting the cooling fins on the radiator. Looks like a mesh grill insert might be a good DIY install to protect from potential damage...similar to the aftermarket radiator protection grill screens for the front of the Porsche Caymans. But as many have mocked the appearance of the rectangular grill opening of the new Z, this shape should make it easy to fit & install a grill screen in the lower section.

1659306506916.png
My coworker bought the then-new 2016 Civic EX turbo and has since put 160k miles on it. The only problem it ever had, and twice nonetheless, was the intercooler developing leaks from the exact scenario you speak of.
Obviously, out of pocket for him, but could be avoided.

I'd come up with a stealthy solution, maybe a screen(s) only one inch from the finned radiator/condenser/cooler in matte black, something hard to see from the front.