Turbo wars

Ranma

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Rusty old Mitsu
Anyone notice that all the rumors are looking like they bringing back the Japanese turbo wars of the 90's cars?

Rumors about a 3000GT, Supra, and the Z35 all coming back. I can't wait to see how this all plays out!

MRichter

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
bmw 325i
Yea is a good time to be shopping for cars man. I just hope they don't flood the market without the demand to support it... we know how that ended in the 1990s

OP
OP

Ranma

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Rusty old Mitsu
Brings back memories thinking about all the great cars of the 90's.
It would be like reliving my high school days if they brought back all those great cars.

Still Z for the win! I have high hopes for what Nissan has in store.

I Love Pho

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2015 BRZ
The American cars and German cars had their horsepower battle in recent years, now it's time for the Japanese to step up (besides the GT-R)!

BluntForce

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
WRX
The muscle car wars are heating up too. The japanese turbo wars can't be far behind. Can't let them have all the fun. :)

MisterNismo

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Totaled 370Z
That's assuming it is actually gonna be a turbo. i hope they don't disappoint and they haven't with the R35 GTR. Hoping turbocharging will be standard for the next Z and it will have better styling than the Z34.

NSFW!

Threads
Reaction score
What there needs to be is not a turbo war to see who can create the most HP. They're already sky high.

These damn companies need to stop being lazy and just throwing more power at the problem, which is that cars are too heavy. They need to start having weight reduction wars. Performance and efficiency will then take care of themselves.
Mass manufacturing companies like BMW are starting to develop lighter construction methods with extensive use of carbon fiber so I think we're already seeing more focus on weights. Only so much power you can throw at a car, it'll still never overcome physics.

-=Godzilla=-

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
GT-R
What there needs to be is not a turbo war to see who can create the most HP. They're already sky high.

These damn companies need to stop being lazy and just throwing more power at the problem, which is that cars are too heavy. They need to start having weight reduction wars. Performance and efficiency will then take care of themselves.

626m3

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
E46 M3

That's already starting to happen. Auto manufacturers have no choice but to reduce weight as a way to increase MPG to meet CAFE standards as they get stricter over next few years. The weight reduction is a good thing for us enthusiasts but at the same time they're also increasingly turning to forced induction to increase MPG too. So it's a double edged sword ifyou're not a FI fan like me.

Yolo2014

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Mustang
The Infiniti q60 (successor to g37 coupe) is getting a new twin turbo v6 so that's likely what the next Z will get if it shares engines with the q50/q60 like in past.

Dantes

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
350Z

100% yes

How many people actually put all that power to use? It's all for paper racing and bragging rights. I'll take a lightweight corner carver any day of the week.

BluntForce

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
WRX
Turbo is inevitable for the Z and nearly all cars from all manufacturers in the next few years.

Even the 911 models with its venerable NA engine history will be going all turbo in the next generation except for the GT3 RS.

MisterNismo

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Totaled 370Z
Turbo is inevitable for the Z and nearly all cars from all manufacturers in the next few years.

Even the 911 models with its venerable NA engine history will be going all turbo in the next generation except for the GT3 RS.
Sux but gotta roll with the times. 10 years from now, most cars will probably be hybrids or electric cars.

OP
OP

Ranma

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Rusty old Mitsu
Sux but gotta roll with the times. 10 years from now, most cars will probably be hybrids or electric cars.
Even in 5 years, you might see the majority have some kind of hybrid powertrain. For ex. the Porsche Pajun (Panamera Jr.) that's coming will be all electric to compete with the Tesla. And rumors about BMW converting all their 3 series and larger models to hybrids by 2020. That's just the way the entire industry is moving.

Seong

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2016 CBR600
Wow I didn't know that about BMW planning for all hybrid models by 2020. That's crazy. You know all the others will follow suit to keep pace if that is the future. Now it is sounding like a hybrid Z powertrain is inevitable. Not sure how i feel about that.