The Pet Thread

takemorepills

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Q60
Hey pet owners, I'm hearing that pet food has become real expensive and some shortages are occurring, is anyone experiencing that?

We had a cat who would only eat Royal Canine wet cat food, so picky. My wife's friend said that cat food has gone way up in price and is hard to find.

I've been considering getting a dog or cat, food price isn't an issue, but shortages would be a bummer if the pet is picky.....

OP
OP
Haste

Haste

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
'23 Civic Type R, '09 335i, '23 Kona N
Hey pet owners, I'm hearing that pet food has become real expensive and some shortages are occurring, is anyone experiencing that?

We had a cat who would only eat Royal Canine wet cat food, so picky. My wife's friend said that cat food has gone way up in price and is hard to find.

I've been considering getting a dog or cat, food price isn't an issue, but shortages would be a bummer if the pet is picky.....
I haven't noticed any shortages here on either Royal Canin or Hill's Science Diet. Not sure about other food. Both have increased in price pretty significantly over the last year or so though. The Royal Canin is now $85 for 35 lbs and Hill's is $78 for 30 lbs. Fluctuates month to month. I feel like both were $50-60 not too long ago.

jdm-rhd

First Name
rob
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
95 hardtop supra, 93 widebody rx7, 93 stockish rx7
Occupation
videogame tester/skater
My wife doesn't want to get a pet because the loss when they go is heavy....
after we lost joeyboy our anatolian/greyhound/mutt mix we had for 15-16 years, it was tough.

getting another pound rescue puppy was a blessing...i would highly recommend it. plus your saving a life...that way 2 dogs don't have to die

Donalex

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
1995 Nissan 300ZX
We've had ours on Farmers Dog for a few years now after a health scare and she loves it - https://www.thefarmersdog.com/

It's not cheap by any means, but it's human-grade stuff and we've yet to have an issue with getting it (it's made on demand)
After consultation with my vet a couple of years ago, I make my own dog food. One boneless chicken breast, boiled and chopped into little pieces, one cup Instant white or brown rice, and one cup thawed mixed vegetables. Sometimes, I sprinkle in a little shredded cheese.

The above makes about 5-6 cups and my portion is 3/4 cup per serving. The batch costs me about $3. I supplement their diet with Milk Bones as a twice daily treat after their walk.

One of my dogs was a little overweight before I started. Within several months, he was in target weight. One dog is about eight, the other about four.

Occasionally, I'll get a cup and mix it with chicken broth for soup. 😁

Screenshot_20221121-160129_Photos.jpg

therumblewagon

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
CX-5, Elantra N
After consultation with my vet a couple of years ago, I make my own dog food. One boneless chicken breast, boiled and chopped into little pieces, one cup Instant white or brown rice, and one cup thawed mixed vegetables. Sometimes, I sprinkle in a little shredded cheese.

The above makes about 5-6 cups and my portion is 3/4 cup per serving. The batch costs me about $3. I supplement their diet with Milk Bones as a twice daily treat after their walk.

One of my dogs was a little overweight before I started. Within several months, he was in target weight. One dog is about eight, the other about four.

Occasionally, I'll get a cup and mix it with chicken broth for soup. 😁

Screenshot_20221121-160129_Photos.jpg
They're adorable!

It's amazing how much...happier she's been, too. Heck, she sometimes eats better than I do, but I wouldn't have it any other way. She has been such a stress sponge for my wife and I, among other things.

Here's a photo of her (Brooklyn) on her "perch" - she's claimed the top of the couch as hers, that way when window is open she gets a breeze, sun to nap in, the works. Dogs know how to live.

brooklyn.jpeg

West Aussie

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Hyundai I20
IMG_20211109_115542091.jpg

carson checking to see if this man and his dog were real 😂
Dogs are the best, cheer us up when we are feeling down, guard us…love us unconditionally. They don’t care if we are poor or rich, if we can feed them the best food or not, and even when we yell at them they still love us two seconds later.
They make us laugh, and cry
It was gods cruelest trick to give us the best souls in the world, but for such a limited time.

Humans do not deserve dogs

bboypuertoroc

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2006 Evo IX, 2008 RHD Wrangler
Occupation
Mail Carrier
Dogs are the best, cheer us up when we are feeling down, guard us…love us unconditionally. They don’t care if we are poor or rich, if we can feed them the best food or not, and even when we yell at them they still love us two seconds later.
They make us laugh, and cry
It was gods cruelest trick to give us the best souls in the world, but for such a limited time.

Humans do not deserve dogs
The worst thing about dogs is that they don't live long enough.