First Name
Tuan
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Supra & RX7
Occupation
Pastry Chef
A dog was on the train tracks behind our house. He wouldn't stop crying and whining until we let him in our yard. I posted his pics and story in the Oak Forest Pet group, but if I can't find his owners in a reasonable amount of time, he'll be up for grabs if anyone is interested.

_nc_ohc=0bqhyIvMQLgAX8yxfL0&_nc_ht=scontent-hou1-1.jpg
_nc_ohc=1b8uvUpuWvoAX_4INC7&_nc_ht=scontent-hou1-1.jpg

supra93

First Name
Tuan
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Supra & RX7
Occupation
Pastry Chef
^ beautiful dog... love the eyes

what town are you in again?
I'm in NW Houston. I'm going to have him scanned on Monday for a chip. If he's not tagged then he'll be up for adoption. I have too many dogs lol.

Evolution

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Dont ask
Occupation
Thread derailer
Any of you have chickens? I am most likely going to be getting some pretty soon but know nothing about them haha.

jdm-rhd

First Name
rob
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
95 hardtop supra, 93 widebody rx7, 93 stockish rx7
Occupation
videogame tester/skater
Any of you have chickens? I am most likely going to be getting some pretty soon but know nothing about them haha.
i didnt but my father-in-law next to me had about 12 freeroam. this is out in the country and unfortunatly coyotes or bobcats got them all after about 2 yrs time...

takemorepills

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Q60
My friends have chickens. One friend in a rural area, and another in an urban area.

Chickens are lots of fun to have around, especially if you can provide good accommodations for them. Of course, no cocks in an urban environment, only females.
And, predation is surprisingly bad even in an urban area. You'll find out real quick how many coyotes and racoons are in your area.
Heck, when I worked in Seattle, I have seen coyotes occasionally running between buildings during the day.
Almost seems no matter what you do, losing a chicken or two seems to be inevitable.

Evolution

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Dont ask
Occupation
Thread derailer
They're good with taters and slaw. 🤣
I am being told by the GF that I cannot eat the chickens unfortunately...

i didnt but my father-in-law next to me had about 12 freeroam. this is out in the country and unfortunatly coyotes or bobcats got them all after about 2 yrs time...

My friends have chickens. One friend in a rural area, and another in an urban area.

Chickens are lots of fun to have around, especially if you can provide good accommodations for them. Of course, no cocks in an urban environment, only females.
And, predation is surprisingly bad even in an urban area. You'll find out real quick how many coyotes and racoons are in your area.
Heck, when I worked in Seattle, I have seen coyotes occasionally running between buildings during the day.
Almost seems no matter what you do, losing a chicken or two seems to be inevitable.
I live at the very outskirts of the city right at the base of the mountains. So we have a ton of coyotes and other wildlife. However, I do not think one would make it in my backyard. Even if one was to get in my neighbors yards, it would still be hard for them to get into my yard. My neighbors are either 10ft below me or 20ft above me. The one and only thing they can do is jump my side yard gate, which I have already built another gate that should solve the problem. Just got to mount it.

takemorepills

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Q60
I am being told by the GF that I cannot eat the chickens unfortunately...

I live at the very outskirts of the city right at the base of the mountains. So we have a ton of coyotes and other wildlife. However, I do not think one would make it in my backyard. Even if one was to get in my neighbors yards, it would still be hard for them to get into my yard. My neighbors are either 10ft below me or 20ft above me. The one and only thing they can do is jump my side yard gate, which I have already built another gate that should solve the problem. Just got to mount it.
Oh, they'll find a way. Both of my friends have dogs and good fencing, it's not enough. Chickens need a pen that is fully secure, including dig-resistant perimeter around the pen. Racoons will dig under fencing and the pen, in a way racoons are possibly a bigger threat than coyotes.

Check out Polish chickens, they're pretty cool looking....

Evolution

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Dont ask
Occupation
Thread derailer
Oh, they'll find a way. Both of my friends have dogs and good fencing, it's not enough. Chickens need a pen that is fully secure, including dig-resistant perimeter around the pen. Racoons will dig under fencing and the pen, in a way racoons are possibly a bigger threat than coyotes.

Check out Polish chickens, they're pretty cool looking....
I guess we shall see. I plan on letting them roam the backyard during the day so they will have basically no protection besides being surrounded by a 10ft tall fence. I am about to build them a nice little coup that will have a good size run fenced in and locked at night. Raccoons shouldn't be a problem. They are pretty rare around here, unless seen popping out of the sewers.

I'll look into the polish chicken. Right now it's looking like we are getting some Rhode island reds.

jdm-rhd

First Name
rob
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
95 hardtop supra, 93 widebody rx7, 93 stockish rx7
Occupation
videogame tester/skater
^ also eagles and hawks like chickens...and not as bird friends either.

to keep predetors from digging under the pen, my father-in-law poured a slab and built the hen house on top.

we sure do miss the eggs, but he's planning on raising them again...

Last edited:

Evolution

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Dont ask
Occupation
Thread derailer
^ also eagles and hawks like chickens...and not as bird friends either.

to keep predetors from digging under the pen, my father-in-law poured a slab and built the hen house on top.

we sure do miss the eggs, but he's planning on raising them again...
We do have red tail hawks around here, lots of them. Plenty of smaller sized falcons as well. The crows actually do a pretty good job of keeping them away though.

Houston.RZ34

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
15 Q50 S (3.7) 23 Stingray HTC
Occupation
CIO
A dog was on the train tracks behind our house. He wouldn't stop crying and whining until we let him in our yard. I posted his pics and story in the Oak Forest Pet group, but if I can't find his owners in a reasonable amount of time, he'll be up for grabs if anyone is interested.

_nc_ohc=0bqhyIvMQLgAX8yxfL0&_nc_ht=scontent-hou1-1.jpg
_nc_ohc=1b8uvUpuWvoAX_4INC7&_nc_ht=scontent-hou1-1.jpg
I just now saw this - is this Woof Woof still up for grabs?! My Q has room for one more....

PXL_20230403_181652488.MP.jpg