are you still getting the Z?

• Total voters

TitanZ

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2019 Titan SL 4x4 Midnight Edition
It certainly doesn't feel like this whole limited production thing is hurting the manufacturers one bit, any manufacturer across any industry...they are just passing higher unit prices down to their retailers/dealers who are in turn tacking on even more to the end consumer...shrug their shoulders and say pandemic, you want it, pay up or else the next guy will, FOMO. They're all realizing record profits and beating estimates despite gloomy outlook. Manufacturered scarcity seems to be the name of the game now and it doesn't feel like any manufacturer will be in a hurry to get back to the old ideal of high production and lower costs when they can control the flow of product and keep demand raging.

It feels like mass collusion and a free pass to price gouge forever and just blame it on a never ending parts and labor shortage and inflation across the board. Speculation that some OEMs have been hoarding chips, so maybe not really a constraint but still used as a primary excuse, we'll never know and they can keep selling us the higher priced models instead of lower trim cheaper models ($40K base sport Z, lol, what % of production will these make up? Base model could be as much of a unicorn as the Proto spec).

At some point something has to give, maybe. I checked Autotrader today and there are 596 Brand New (not "used" with 16 miles on ODO, but listed as "New") 2021 Ford Mustangs (2021, not even looking at all the 2022 stock) sitting on dealer lots, 50 of which are Mach 1's, many with $5K -$10K ADM. Before the end of this year the 2023 Mustang will be out, so despite all this scarcity to justify higher prices, Ford dealers across the country are sitting on almost 600 brand new Mustangs that are almost 2 model years old and still haven't sold yet...

Lvckv69

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
'16 911
It certainly doesn't feel like this whole limited production thing is hurting the manufacturers one bit, any manufacturer across any industry...they are just passing higher unit prices down to their retailers/dealers who are in turn tacking on even more to the end consumer...shrug their shoulders and say pandemic, you want it, pay up or else the next guy will, FOMO. They're all realizing record profits and beating estimates despite gloomy outlook. Manufacturered scarcity seems to be the name of the game now and it doesn't feel like any manufacturer will be in a hurry to get back to the old ideal of high production and lower costs when they can control the flow of product and keep demand raging.

It feels like mass collusion and a free pass to price gouge forever and just blame it on a never ending parts and labor shortage and inflation across the board. Speculation that some OEMs have been hoarding chips, so maybe not really a constraint but still used as a primary excuse, we'll never know and they can keep selling us the higher priced models instead of lower trim cheaper models ($40K base sport Z, lol, what % of production will these make up? Base model could be as much of a unicorn as the Proto spec).

At some point something has to give, maybe. I checked Autotrader today and there are 596 Brand New (not "used" with 16 miles on ODO, but listed as "New") 2021 Ford Mustangs (2021, not even looking at all the 2022 stock) sitting on dealer lots, 50 of which are Mach 1's, many with $5K -$10K ADM. Before the end of this year the 2023 Mustang will be out, so despite all this scarcity to justify higher prices, Ford dealers across the country are sitting on almost 600 brand new Mustangs that are almost 2 model years old and still haven't sold yet...
I agree with you. This is just an excuse to increase all the prices. All planned. All I know is nobody is getting the sport for 40k in the U.S.

rmbge

First Name
Rachel
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2017 Subaru BRZ, 2004 Honda Pilot
Occupation
High School Teacher
I think a lot of younger people who have mostly owned cheaper , low horsepower cars see a car like the 86 or a BRZ as a next level of performance and power .

Years ago I owned a couple Nissan Maximas and other cheaper low-end cars , and when I was able to afford a better car I bought an Infiniti G37, and was really happy and excited about it , because to me it was a faster and more luxurious vehicle .

And of course after a couple of years I was already wanting a car with more power
You make a good point; the 86 is definitely a vehicle that acts as a gateway to the platform.

I owned a 2017 Subaru BRZ Limited. While it was fun to drive and I could maximize its performance, it was still seriously lacking. I got rid of it in October 2021 and chose to hold out for the Z. The wait is awful though…

OP
OP
jdm-rhd

jdm-rhd

First Name
rob
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
95 hardtop supra, 93 widebody rx7, 93 stockish rx7
Occupation
videogame tester/skater
after reading several comments throughout the forums it looks like some people are either giving up or losing hope

Zupra88

First Name
Cody
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2023 Nissan Z, 2022 F-150 Lariat
Occupation
Nursing Home Administrator
after reading several comments throughout the forums it looks like some people are either giving up or losing hope
I've waited and saved long enough that I'm ready to try and exotic car. Don't feel like waiting for something we don't know for sure when it will come out or in what quantities.

trackratZ

First Name
August
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
240Z RB26DETT,Glady Rubi, Model Y LR, 987 Cayman S
Occupation
Software security
Not waiting for the current Z anymore, there is just not enough content to justify the pricing, sorry. Will wait and see what Nismo brings out in a few short (?) years.

takemorepills

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Q60
Lost hope here. For any car.

Remember back when gas was cheap and Nissan introduced the Z?

Kinda feels like we're being mercilessly trolled.....

Haste

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
'23 Civic Type R, '09 335i, '23 Kona N
I'm out as well. I've always been in the Nismo or bust camp, but at this point I don't think the value will be there should said model exist based on the Perf pricing + destination, paint, floor mats, etc.

I also had something very unfortunate happen to my current ride last Monday so I'm rethinking everything right now.

Blackbeard

First Name
Anthony
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
22 Supra
Occupation
Mechanic
I'm out as well. I've always been in the Nismo or bust camp, but at this point I don't think the value will be there should said model exist based on the Perf pricing + destination, paint, floor mats, etc.

I also had something very unfortunate happen to my current ride last Monday so I'm rethinking everything right now.
sucks , it worked out for the best with me info was taking to klong before the reviews even came out and non of my local dealers knew anything and werent going to take a deposit , so when toyota made me the deal fdor the SS and the supra i was like Fuck it

therumblewagon

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
CX-5, Elantra N

Sorry to hear, bud. Hope you're able to get back on your feet (tires?) soon.

(dark humor is a coping mechanism, forgive me)

981 cayman, 86/BRZ or Miata and call it a day at this point.
Hear ya. Strong contenders for sure.

I keep finding myself looking up GR's, and one of the dealers around here has a Premium 6-speed en route later this month. Can't really fit into ND2's from the factory, would have to fuss with the seats like I did in my NA, and will we ever see 981's at reasonable prices again? Or any Caymans for that matter. Sigh.

I really do want a Z, and will have one at some point, but it's so hard to know how the second half of this year is going to play out. Fortunate to not be in a rush to buy right now, but still.

MycarisZ

First Name
Mohammed
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Mazda Miata
Occupation
Project Manager
I am still in, need to pay an additional $30k to find a turbo Cayman or wait an eternity to get an allocation… forget about the GTS 4.0 allocation, which was the original plan. Hence, switching to the Z and all in with it.