• Total voters

Denver the Last Dinosaur

First Name
Denver
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
cardboard box
People buy houses off plans without ever seeing themā€¦why should a car be any different
People see the house plans and these days can even tour them in VR ... they don't see a building company announce a new house that has three doors, and then rush out and slap down a deposit without even knowing when it will be available or how much it will cost.

The exception are the idiots with more money than sense, like big name celebrities (footballers, rappers, Kardashians, etc.), who don't really care that they'll lose money if it turns out to be a disaster because they've still got piles more to play with anyway.

bboypuertoroc

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2006 Evo IX, 2008 RHD Wrangler
Occupation
Mail Carrier
People buy houses off plans without ever seeing themā€¦why should a car be any different
Not surprising these days, but still blows my damn mind. Imagine spending over half a mil on a house you've never stepped foot in.

NiZmonium

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2010 G37 6MT
So you will not buy a car based on some video you watched on YouTube? A lot of those videos are paid by other competitors. Good, one less of you to worry about! šŸ¤£
No, based on the fact that for the model I would want would be close to 55 grand, and the car being slower than I expected. But yeah, let's pretend it's just a conspiracy to make the z look bad.

SS727Z

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
SS
No, based on the fact that for the model I would want would be close to 55 grand, and the car being slower than I expected. But yeah, let's pretend it's just a conspiracy to make the z look bad.
So you actually expected the Z to be faster than a Supra? I didnā€™t think anyone did, other than the meme creators...

I understand the logic for the price though. We were all a bit disappointed there.

NiZmonium

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2010 G37 6MT
So you actually expected the Z to be faster than a Supra? I didnā€™t think anyone did, other than the meme creators...

I understand the logic for the price though. We were all a bit disappointed there.
I expected it to be just slightly slower than the supra. I didn't expect to see the Supra put five car lengths on the z. And I didn't expect the Z 6MT to run a 12.8 quarter mile.

I'm not really sure why you're having such a hard time understanding why some of us are disappointed in the performance, and disappointed in the price

SS727Z

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
SS
I expected it to be just slightly slower than the supra. I didn't expect to see the Supra put five car lengths on the z. And I didn't expect the Z 6MT to run a 12.8 quarter mile.

I'm not really sure why you're having such a hard time understanding why some of us are disappointed in the performance, and disappointed in the price
Iā€™m not having a hard time. I donā€™t mean to come across as argumentative. Just for me personally, the carā€™s performance makes sense with everything we already knew.. weight, power, transmission, etc.

It was 0.2 seconds slower than the Supra in the 1/4 mile on worse tires and the disadvantage of not warming up the tires. I would say that is just slightly slower.

Dingobaby

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
B7 Passat 1.8t Apr stg 1+ intake exhaust

If 0.2 second is so important to you I guess that just makes the decision easier šŸ‘

NiZmonium

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2010 G37 6MT
If 0.2 second is so important to you I guess that just makes the decision easier šŸ‘
I'm not really sure where you guys are getting that the automatic Z is only two tenths of a second slower in the quarter mile than the supra. Stock Supra runs flat 12s all day long. And are you guys going to just ignore 0 to 60 times, as well? The tested Z times didn't get anywhere near a 3.8 second 0 to 60.

And not only that, it's not just purely based on acceleration, quarter mile times. It's a combination of price performance, interior quality and the fact that so much of the car is still a 370Z.

That's why I've lost a lot of enthusiasm, because I just can't get excited over this car at the trim level being almost 55k

takemorepills

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Q60

Back in the 90's, the 300ZX was much slower than the Supra. About 1.0 sec 0-60. I remember that the Supra was a really big deal back then because it could get to 60 in 4.6 sec.

Fast forward to 2022 and the Z is now nearly as fast as a hot BMW, only off by a few tenths and 1mph?
Pfft, WTF do people want?
If the Supra was ACTUALLY made wholly by Toyota, I guarantee the Z would've beat it this time around.
Toyota wasn't messing around by choosing BMW as the surrogate of the Supra, they knew BMW would make a very good performing car.

Personally I'm stoked the Z runs low 12's and traps 116mph.

Jeebus some people should just buy a Tesla. This new Z is actually fast enough, just like the Supra and Teslas, to be wildly dangerous on public roads in only 3-4 seconds

West Aussie

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Hyundai I20
I rarely buy anything without first checking it out. Ideally, I'd like to see, touch, sit in, and drive before buying a vehicle. Does the vehicle fit like a glove, everything come naturally, an extension of how I like to drive and the feel? Hard to know for sure, without checking it out.

Otherwise agreed, I'm not hung up on a few tenths of a second drag times or track performance. More interested, is the overall package something I'd enjoy and find useful on the roads (which I'm betting most likely it is).

PeopleDo-Idont.gif
Exactlyā€¦peopleā€¦a lot of people do.
That was my point

NiZmonium

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2010 G37 6MT
I don't really mean to come off as a jerk off, I'm not trying to be some magazine racer who's crying over minor differences in performance. But I just really really wanted the performance trim to come in mid-40s as a price point. I honestly think that if the Z was closer matched to the Supra for example or even had better performance, I think I might even be able to justify a 50k price tag in my mind

West Aussie

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Hyundai I20
I don't really mean to come off as a jerk off, I'm not trying to be some magazine racer who's crying over minor differences in performance. But I just really really wanted the performance trim to come in mid-40s as a price point. I honestly think that if the Z was closer matched to the Supra for example or even had better performance, I think I might even be able to justify a 50k price tag in my mind
But itā€™s not going to come in the mid 40s no matter how much you want it to.so best to move on.
The reviews have been mixed and many say they feel the Z is better in a lot of areas than the Supra, primarily for daily use, which is what the majority are buying it for. Nissan had to build for the majority, and then those that want to track mod itā€¦.same as always

NiZmonium

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2010 G37 6MT
But itā€™s not going to come in the mid 40s no matter how much you want it to.so best to move on.
The reviews have been mixed and many say they feel the Z is better in a lot of areas than the Supra, primarily for daily use, which is what the majority are buying it for. Nissan had to build for the majority, and then those that want to track mod itā€¦.same as always
Just for the record, I would never buy a supra/bmw. I value my money too much, and that's why I've always stuck with Japanese reliability. Having said that, I'm only using the Supra as a benchmark as performance and for its similar price point. And as an owner for the past 10 years of a manual G37 sport coupe, I can say that I would definitely agree on the assessment that the Z will be a way better choice for a daily driver, and more comfortable than a Supra.

And I also think you made a great point about if the supra was an actual Toyota, made by Toyota, the Nissan Z wood really outperform it.