So Long Z - it was Fun(ish)

mtjohnson

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2024 BMW M240i, 2019 Alfa Romeo Giulia
I made the decision it was time to move on from the Z after nearly a year and under 5K miles. I loved the style, the nostalgia, the raw power. I loved forums like this one where fellow enthusiasts could share their passion.

I felt like a teenager the day I got my Z. That initial feeling lasted for quite some time. It masked the vehicles shortcomings, which became more and more apparent over time…. The lunging/imprecise transmission….the decent but nothing special handling…..the exhaust drone at 50 mph…..the lurches when coming to a stop at a traffic light…. the odd technology glitches like the parking sensors going off when just rolling up to a red light. I know some of these can be addressed with some tweaks and mods, but also, the dealer experience (you get treated the same if you have a Z or a Versa).

I took a weekend and drove several cars. I wanted to see if it was me or the car. Each car I drove as unbiased as I possibly could and compared it to what I had. Each car was a better experience and it made me a bit sad honestly.

The Supra - Did everything “Sporty” the Z did better. Crisper handling. Quicker off the line. Better Steering Feel. I just do not like how they look and it was hard to drive the Supra “softly” or as a day to day. Also, damn near impossible to see out of it. If it’s purely about a Sports Car, the Supra was just better.

Mustang Mach 1 - “felt“ more powerful with quicker throttle response. Handled better overall than the Z. Interior about on par. - Im just not a “Mustang guy” but could admit I thought it was a better car.

BMW M240i and M2 - The M240i was an absolute blast to drive. A revelation if you will. TONS of power, significantly better interior, fit finish, and technology. In its most comfortable settings - STILL plenty of power. In its most aggressive Sport+ setting - every bit the Sports Car the Z was and then some. While the M2 was just “more” for lack of a better way to put it. Gobs of power - stuck like glue on hard turns - BEGS to be driven hard.

At the end of the day - I wound up with the M240i. I thought I would be sad to see the Z go…but if Im being honest with myself, I was just sad it wasnt what I wanted. The M240i has been fantastic - and being treated at the BMW dealership vs the Nissan dealership is a definite improvement, not to mention the included maintenance.

The Z is still a great looking car. (The M240i looks better in person than in pics - but is not nearly as beautiful as the Z). But that is where the comparison stops. In every other metric I could find it was not even close.

This post is not to bash anyone here, or the Z car (everyone has different tastes and what they want out of the car) but just to share with someone else out there, who may be feeling the same way I felt after the honeymoon phase. You owe it to yourself to drive some of the comparable options.

Edit* Drove the top car, ultimately bought the second pic (identical spec’s but I liked the red calipers more)

Thanks for all the feedback, and love this forum has shown me. Keep mashing the gas!

IMG_1244.jpeg

IMG_1245.jpeg

Last edited:
OP
OP
mtjohnson

mtjohnson

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Hey man you gotta go with what makes you happy. Congrats on the bimmer. Have fun, be safe and enjoy!
Thanks man! Your Nismo is awesome! I think it is what NisSan should have released from the get go as the “Z”. Beautiful car!

iztrumental

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2024 Nissan Z Nismo
Thanks man! Your Nismo is awesome! I think it is what NisSan should have released from the get go as the “Z”. Beautiful car!
Thank you! Yes I agree. Hopefully future Z releases will start with the Nismo trim variant but I doubt it.

trackratZ

First Name
August
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
240Z RB26DETT,Glady Rubi, Model Y LR, 987 Cayman S
Occupation
Software security
Good analysis on your part. Compared and chose what you liked best. I'm still on the fence about the Z, it really needs a few upgrades to be competitive for my use, not enough from the factory. But the heritage styling is a home run! Only nostalgia keeps me hanging on here. Also I have to say I'm a manual guy, it's my choice.

The Supra is more appealing because of that awesome BMW mill, the closed deck B58. So much potential, and the car is tight handling as is. Heritage be damned, the GR Supra is a great showroom pkg.

The M204i is a great pkg, performance and practicality. Again, for me, I need the manual. So an older M2 might be better for me.

OP
OP
mtjohnson

mtjohnson

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Good analysis on your part. Compared and chose what you liked best. I'm still on the fence about the Z, it really needs a few upgrades to be competitive for my use, not enough from the factory. But the heritage styling is a home run! Only nostalgia keeps me hanging on here. Also I have to say I'm a manual guy, it's my choice.

The Supra is more appealing because of that awesome BMW mill, the closed deck B58. So much potential, and the car is tight handling as is. Heritage be damned, the GR Supra is a great showroom pkg.

The M204i is a great pkg, performance and practicality. Again, for me, I need the manual. So an older M2 might be better for me.
I hear you on the manual. The new M2 comes in a manual (I actually drove the manual version) and I must say it was a blast to drive. There were two things that held me back. I actually preferred the overall styling of the 240 in person, and the M2, even in its most comfortable settings - I couldn’t see as a day to day driver. Track Car?? Heck Yes!!!

*Edit - I guess 3 Things: 3rd things was The price jump between the 240 and M2. I get the appeal of having a proper M car vs an “M Lite” - but in real world performance, I just couldn’t see the extra 10K+ making sense When the 240 performed so well.

LZ23

First Name
Larry
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
350z
I hear you on the manual. The new M2 comes in a manual (I actually drove the manual version) and I must say it was a blast to drive. There were two things that held me back. I actually preferred the overall styling of the 240 in person, and the M2, even in its most comfortable settings - I couldn’t see as a day to day driver. Track Car?? Heck Yes!!!

*Edit - I guess 3 Things: 3rd things was The price jump between the 240 and M2. I get the appeal of having a proper M car vs an “M Lite” - but in real world performance, I just couldn’t see the extra 10K+ making sense When the 240 performed so well.
I looked at the 240 as well but in my opinion it does not look good in pics or in person and in canada the 240 is 15k more than the Z.We can only get it in AWD.

OP
OP
mtjohnson

mtjohnson

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
I looked at the 240 as well but in my opinion it does not look good in pics or in person and in canada the 240 is 15k more than the Z.We can only get it in AWD.
I can understand that. I don’t think there is much middle ground on the looks for the 240. Lot of people hate it / lot of people love it. I wasn’t crazy about it in pics, but did feel like it looked better in person.

Sucks that you can only get the X package / it’s a rocket as well and would be fun in the snow…but I’m a rear wheel fan myself.

takemorepills

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Q60
The 9AT driveability issues are the same as my Titan Pro-4x. I also hated the 7AT in my Q60.

Nissan does not take transmission programming seriously since the 5AT. And I doubt they ever will.

Although the 9AT is outright faster than the 6MT, I'm waiting for a 6MT Sport to show up. The rest of the typical modern Nissan stuff doesn't bother me at all.

OP
OP
mtjohnson

mtjohnson

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
The 9AT driveability issues are the same as my Titan Pro-4x. I also hated the 7AT in my Q60.

Nissan does not take transmission programming seriously since the 5AT. And I doubt they ever will.

Although the 9AT is outright faster than the 6MT, I'm waiting for a 6MT Sport to show up. The rest of the typical modern Nissan stuff doesn't bother me at all.
I am a manual fan as well - but there is a part of my daily commute that is heavy stop and go through THREE school zones EVERY morning..so a manual is just not practical for me

takemorepills

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Q60
I am a manual fan as well - but there is a part of my daily commute that is heavy stop and go through THREE school zones EVERY morning..so a manual is just not practical for me
I hear you, I used to do the slog into and out of Seattle 37 miles each way. Bad enough with an automatic.

Jah_Happy

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2023 Z (Everest White, Performance, 6MT)
Congrats on your new car! Gotta do what feel right for you. Thankfully i haven't encountered any of the issues you mentioned.

OP
OP
mtjohnson

mtjohnson

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Congrats on your new car! Gotta do what feel right for you. Thankfully i haven't encountered any of the issues you mentioned.
Thank you! Glad to hear you haven‘t had the same experience. Perhaps I would have felt differently if I opted for the manual…(love your color combo btw)

Fairlady_464r

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Infiniti G37X
I made the decision it was time to move on from the Z after nearly a year and under 5K miles. I loved the style, the nostalgia, the raw power. I loved forums like this one where fellow enthusiasts could share their passion.

I felt like a teenager the day I got my Z. That initial feeling lasted for quite some time. It masked the vehicles shortcomings, which became more and more apparent over time…. The lunging/imprecise transmission….the decent but nothing special handling…..the exhaust drone at 50 mph…..the lurches when coming to a stop at a traffic light…. the odd technology glitches like the parking sensors going off when just rolling up to a red light. I know some of these can be addressed with some tweaks and mods, but also, the dealer experience (you get treated the same if you have a Z or a Versa).

I took a weekend and drove several cars. I wanted to see if it was me or the car. Each car I drove as unbiased as I possibly could and compared it to what I had. Each car was a better experience and it made me a bit sad honestly.

The Supra - Did everything “Sporty” the Z did better. Crisper handling. Quicker off the line. Better Steering Feel. I just do not like how they look and it was hard to drive the Supra “softly” or as a day to day. Also, damn near impossible to see out of it. If it’s purely about a Sports Car, the Supra was just better.

Mustang Mach 1 - “felt“ more powerful with quicker throttle response. Handled better overall than the Z. Interior about on par. - Im just not a “Mustang guy” but could admit I thought it was a better car.

BMW M240i and M2 - The M240i was an absolute blast to drive. A revelation if you will. TONS of power, significantly better interior, fit finish, and technology. In its most comfortable settings - STILL plenty of power. In its most aggressive Sport+ setting - every bit the Sports Car the Z was and then some. While the M2 was just “more” for lack of a better way to put it. Gobs of power - stuck like glue on hard turns - BEGS to be driven hard.

At the end of the day - I wound up with the M240i. I thought I would be sad to see the Z go…but if Im being honest with myself, I was just sad it wasnt what I wanted. The M240i has been fantastic - and being treated at the BMW dealership vs the Nissan dealership is a definite improvement, not to mention the included maintenance.

The Z is still a great looking car. (The M240i looks better in person than in pics - but is not nearly as beautiful as the Z). But that is where the comparison stops. In every other metric I could find it was not even close.

This post is not to bash anyone here, or the Z car (everyone has different tastes and what they want out of the car) but just to share with someone else out there, who may be feeling the same way I felt after the honeymoon phase. You owe it to yourself to drive some of the comparable options.

Edit* Drove the top car, ultimately bought the second pic (identical spec’s but I liked the red calipers more)

Thanks for all the feedback, and love this forum has shown me. Keep mashing the gas!

IMG_1244.jpeg

IMG_1245.jpeg
Just curious, was your Z auto or manual?

OP
OP
mtjohnson

mtjohnson

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Just curious, was your Z auto or manual?
Auto. That’s where the issues with the transmission came into play. I would have loved a manual, but it just wasn’t a practical choice for my daily