Shifting into 2nd? (Manual)

Who.Am.Eye.2716

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Z
I have a 2024, build date Aug 2023. 2nd gear sucks donkey balls. When its cold, its hard to shift into 2nd between 2k-2.5k rpms. When the trans is warmed up, its still hard to shift into 2nd gear at times.

Anyone else having issues?

Bert

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Mk7 GTI performance
I have a 2024, build date Aug 2023. 2nd gear sucks donkey balls. When its cold, its hard to shift into 2nd between 2k-2.5k rpms. When the trans is warmed up, its still hard to shift into 2nd gear at times.

Definitely doesn’t like being rushed from first to second but give it time, and it should loosen up a bit

MacCool

First Name
Mac
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2024 Performance Z, GMC2500HD (winter), others
Occupation
retired
My 2024 is an AT, but until this car I've had two 370Z MT's since 2011. The second gear "notchiness" is well known (along with the crappy plastic clutch cylinder). Sounds like they're using the same MT transmission design in the current Z's. Hopefully they addressed the clutch issue. Twelve years driving that "meh" manual transmission is one reason I didn't really care that my dealer could only come up with an AT for my 2024.

Mr&Mrs

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
RZ34
I currently have an AT but as @MacCool mentioned, it was a known annoyance with 370z's. I do not know if they are still around or make them but a company called RJM made an adjustable clutch pedal that completely solved the issue. I had it for my 370z.

MacCool

First Name
Mac
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2024 Performance Z, GMC2500HD (winter), others
Occupation
retired
I currently have an AT but as @MacCool mentioned, it was a known annoyance with 370z's. I do not know if they are still around or make them but a company called RJM made an adjustable clutch pedal that completely solved the issue. I had it for my 370z.
I really toyed with getting the RJM pedal for my 370Z but never pulled the trigger. I wanted that pedal because of the quirky/weird manual clutch engagement geometry. I always found the 370Z MT to be a difficult car to drive smoothly. My wife is very experienced and competent with manual transmissions but it was even harder for her and she really never wanted to drive the car. Now, with a 400hp AT, she wants to drive the Z much more often, so....AT has been a blessing and a curse for me.

The ostensibly frequent clutch cylinder failure was a separate issue. I never had that problem in over 70,000 miles and 12 years with 370Z's, but reading over on The 370Z forums, you would gave thought that it happened to every car without fail.

Ramman

First Name
Richard
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2023 Z
Occupation
engineer
I've got the 2023 Performance Z and have had it for about 6 months. Down shifting into 2nd has never been a problem. Up shifting is a bit stiff but still not a big issue for me. I had the 300Zx and loved it. I really LOVE this Z. In variably at least once a drive I'll somehow stall it out. That however usually occurs in the combination of clutching from start and first gear (not second) and seems more because I'm at a traffic light and feel pressed to move out .

TheRoyalStig

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
??

When it's really cold and it's still warming up I double clutch into second and it makes it go very smoothly.

In normal driving it goes much smoother into 2nd at 4k so that's where I shift when possible.

When going slower and needing to stay at low RPM I just make the shift extra slow. My sorta go-to trick that has become second nature at this point is letting the shifter pop fully into neutral before moving it into second. That causes enough delay to make things go much smoother.

Just gotta figure out the little idiosyncracies and work with them.

Brock

First Name
Brock
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Nissan 370z
I have a 2023 Performance model, and have had zero issues with 1st to 2nd or 2nd to 1st. Guess I’m lucky 😊

Reactions: KCZ

Jah_Happy

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2023 Z (Everest White, Performance, 6MT)
I have a 2023 Performance model, and have had zero issues with 1st to 2nd or 2nd to 1st. Guess I’m lucky 😊
Same, nothing has stood out to me while shifting. Even in the Northeast haha.

OP
OP
Who.Am.Eye.2716

Who.Am.Eye.2716

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Z
Im going to look into the z1 clutch kit. Maybe change the trans fluid to Redline while im there. Thoughts?

Definitely doesn’t like being rushed from first to second but give it time, and it should loosen up a bit
This morning, I started shifting slower from 1st to 2nd and seems to do the trick. I also let the rpm's hang for a bit before pressing in the clutch pedal and shift from 1st to 2nd and seems to go into 2nd more smoothly than slow shifting.

When it's really cold and it's still warming up I double clutch into second and it makes it go very smoothly.

In normal driving it goes much smoother into 2nd at 4k so that's where I shift when possible.

When going slower and needing to stay at low RPM I just make the shift extra slow. My sorta go-to trick that has become second nature at this point is letting the shifter pop fully into neutral before moving it into second. That causes enough delay to make things go much smoother.

Just gotta figure out the little idiosyncracies and work with them.
Learning shift points and when to shift seems to be a chore lol

Fanatic

First Name
Sonny
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
'23 Nissan Z Performance 6MT and many more...
Occupation
Hospitality Management
First to second can always be a little sensitive on manual transmission cars. Just have to make sure you are more delicate and also pushing the clutch all the way down before shifting to second.

OP
OP
Who.Am.Eye.2716

Who.Am.Eye.2716

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Z
First to second can always be a little sensitive on manual transmission cars. Just have to make sure you are more delicate and also pushing the clutch all the way down before shifting to second.
Must be a Nissan thang 🤷🏽‍♂️
This is my 1st Nissan that I have owned

Older BMW's, Toyota's, Acura's didnt have such issues going from 1st to 2nd

Fanatic

First Name
Sonny
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
'23 Nissan Z Performance 6MT and many more...
Occupation
Hospitality Management
Must be a Nissan thang 🤷🏽‍♂️
This is my 1st Nissan that I have owned

Older BMW's, Toyota's, Acura's didnt have such issues going from 1st to 2nd
My older BMW E90 M3 had it. My Civic type R'S have it. My mustang GT had it. One car that did not have it as much was my previous Subaru BRZ.