Selling the 2023 Z over MSRP

FBD

First Name
FBD
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
90 300ZX 93 300ZX Roadster 14 370Z StillenRoadster
I asked my local Toyota dealership if they had ADM on the new Tundra I was looking at.

They said "no ADM, but the truck comes equipped with our dealer packages pre-installed for $3,995" and I read up on the packages:
-nitrogen
-windshield treatment (WTF?)
-some weird brand I had never heard of for interior and exterior treatment
-tire and wheel guarantee for 1 year

Already installed. Don't like it? I didn't. I walked. Truck was still sold by end of day.

I'd almost prefer ADM as I'd rather hand over money to "charity" than have someone think I'm stupid enough to believe that crap has any value.
Again, this sounds like something that happens in the US. I've never heard of this in Canada. Any other Canadians want to weigh in here? My only experience was extra coverage where they strong arm you when you meet with the finance guy. Also, negotiated a new car for a friend last summer during the pandemic and there were no add ons whatsoever.

Subarashi

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Toyota Camry, Q60 RWD
Try to find a dealer online selling for MSRP, then fly there and drive it back. It'll be a bit more expensive, but cheaper than ADM. More fun too!
Lol or find a dealer selling at MSRP and then you make the trip there and then bait and switch after you made the whole trip there......
Friend tried to buy a Type R but of course the stealership switched it up when he got there....he came back and bought a Mustang GT (Pre 2020)

Drseckzytime

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Stuff
It takes really special human beings to take advantage of people during these times. Car makers with record profits, dealerships with record profits, and gas companies posting record profits.

Meanwhile us the consumer are just told to buckle up life is tough. The rich continue to get rich, the middle-class especially gets devastated, with many now entering lower-class standards.

Drseckzytime

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Stuff
https://markups.org/

Please also list your experience there as well with all the information.

Finally, post reviews of this experience on Google, Carsdotcom, Dealer Rater, on their site, and email Nissan how this really tarnished your experience with the brand. Make sure to include staff names as well in each of those reviews you spoke to.

If their name gets tarnished, that's the price of them doing business in this manner. Getting CXI scores to drop can impact the dealership and salespeople on their bonuses/spiffs. Hit their pockets, that's all these people understand.

takemorepills

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Q60
It takes really special human beings to take advantage of people during these times. Car makers with record profits, dealerships with record profits, and gas companies posting record profits.

Meanwhile us the consumer are just told to buckle up life is tough. The rich continue to get rich, the middle-class especially gets devastated, with many now entering lower-class standards.
What's crazy is how many of us are desperate to throw money away even as it becomes less valuable, speaking for myself primarily. I wish I didn't want a new vehicle so badly, technically don't need one, that's for sure.

FBD

First Name
FBD
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
What's crazy is how many of us are desperate to throw money away even as it becomes less valuable, speaking for myself primarily. I wish I didn't want a new vehicle so badly, technically don't need one, that's for sure.
Ugh. I am guilty of the same thing. I had a former spouse MAKE me sell my Stillenized 370Z Roadster that was Hella quick, track ready, and sounded great...biggest mistake of my life. I would be plenty happy with that right now. Early morning drive. Put the top down. Insane exhaust. And paid for. But here I go again...

sesamoid

First Name
jefffrey
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Porsche cayenne
Occupation
surgeon
This morning I was told by Cedric Martin the Internet Director at Five Star Nissan of Albany GA that the 2023 Z was going to be marked up 5 to 10 thousand over MSRP.
Tell Cedric ( I did this to the local predator/ dealer here); that you have 5 friends waiting , cash ready, to but a Z at list price. They will still make a handsome profit. Just not the highway robbery of aftermarket. That dealer will then have five families with lifelong loyalty to the future purchases for their wives and kids cars in the future which will result ultimately in a successful long game and selling many many cars. On the other side of the coin; dealers who charge aftermarket rip off prices will be vilified On the Internet, and listed on multiple Internet sites and boycotted.
This morning I was told by Cedric Martin the Internet Director at Five Star Nissan of Albany GA that the 2023 Z was going to be marked up 5 to 10 thousand over MSRP.
time to play hardball with these assholes.

Donalex

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
1995 Nissan 300ZX
Lol or find a dealer selling at MSRP and then you make the trip there and then bait and switch after you made the whole trip there......
Friend tried to buy a Type R but of course the stealership switched it up when he got there....he came back and bought a Mustang GT (Pre 2020)
If that's the case, it's your friend's own fault. I'm sure there wasn't a gun to his head.

FBD

First Name
FBD
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
If that's the case, it's your friend's own fault. I'm sure there wasn't a gun to his head.
You will have to forgive some of us as we are feeling a bit passionately about this since we actually are going to buy one of these cars. For those who aren't and who are more calm about this, I envy you.

FBD

First Name
FBD
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
I just locked in MSRP... On a C8.. LOL
Ok. Hella jelly. What price did you get and what province or state? Impossible to get here in Canada. I put an order in and it was rejected by GM.

MGD

First Name
Marc
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Alfa Romeo Giulia Ti Sport Q4
Occupation
Owner of electrical contracting company
Again, this sounds like something that happens in the US. I've never heard of this in Canada. Any other Canadians want to weigh in here? My only experience was extra coverage where they strong arm you when you meet with the finance guy. Also, negotiated a new car for a friend last summer during the pandemic and there were no add ons whatsoever.
Not sure for your province (BC I believe?), but here in Ontario we have protection through OMVIC who has the power to pull a dealers selling licenseā€¦no license=no sales. If you find a dealer is in violation of the selling practices set out by OMVIC you can file a complaint and they will investigate. Iā€™ve never had to deal with this and Iā€™m guessing that shows the power that OMVIC actually has and as you mentioned ANY add ons get dealt with post approval of the purchase agreement where they then try to upsell the sh!t out of stuff from anti-corrosion gadgets to extended warranties and coatings. I have purchased six new vehicles in Ontario in the past 10yrsā€¦1 from Hyundai, 3 from Nissan, 1 from Ford and 1 from Alfa Romeo and it plays out exactly the sameā€¦look at vehicles, decide on one, negotiate final price/approve, meet with manager and go through all the options that can be added on like etching glass and warranties, etcā€¦

I honestly feel bad to some degree as they go through the big spiel and I always say no to everything at the end. I did add ceramic coating on the Alfa Romeo though and the only reason was because they are also a Ferrari and Maserati dealer and the paint correction was being done by the same guys that do the work on those cars as well so I had faith that the work was going to be top notch (and it is šŸ˜).

FBD

First Name
FBD
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Not sure for your province (BC I believe?), but here in Ontario we have protection through OMVIC who has the power to pull a dealers selling licenseā€¦no license=no sales. If you find a dealer is in violation of the selling practices set out by OMVIC you can file a complaint and they will investigate. Iā€™ve never had to deal with this and Iā€™m guessing that shows the power that OMVIC actually has and as you mentioned ANY add ons get dealt with post approval of the purchase agreement where they then try to upsell the sh!t out of stuff from anti-corrosion gadgets to extend OMVICed warranties and coatings. I have purchased six new vehicles in Ontario in the past 10yrsā€¦1 from Hyundai, 3 from Nissan, 1 from Ford and 1 from Alfa Romeo and it plays out exactly the sameā€¦look at vehicles, decide on one, negotiate final price/approve, meet with manager and go through all the options that can be added on like etching glass and warranties, etcā€¦

I honestly feel bad to some degree as they go through the big spiel and I always say no to everything at the end. I did add ceramic coating on the Alfa Romeo though and the only reason was because they are also a Ferrari and Maserati dealer and the paint correction was being done by the same guys that do the work on those cars as well so I had faith that the work was going to be top notch (and it is šŸ˜).
Ok very interesting timing. People are talking about the twins. Here is an example in Ontario (I believe Kingston) of some up selling, driving it until it's used a bit, and then jacking up the sticker. I emailed them to shame them a bit but might send a note back reminding them of OMVIC. They responded by saying there are some "added accessories" on it that justify the price of almost 10K increase:

https://www.autotrader.ca/a/toyota/...howCpo&ncse=no&ursrc=hl&orup=11_11_11&sprx=-1

I've never heard of OMVIC but if you have a website I might follow up on this one. I'm fed up with these dealers who think they can exploit that actual people who pay for their kids well being and roof over their heads. (Yes you do hear a cross tone).

Here is another one I just heard back from. 10K over MRSP at $45k and change (for a GR86). They said there is nothing wrong with including some accessories like winter tires, wheels (whatever that means like someone wants a SALES person to pick out rims for them?), "window visors" and rubber floor mats totally to over 10K.

https://www.autotrader.ca/a/toyota/...showcpo=ShowCpo&ncse=no&orup=10_11_11&sprx=-1

The above internet sales man's name is "Gerald Low" from Country Hills Toyota in Calgary, Alberta. Spread to word to avoid him and his dealership. This kind of thing needs to stop.

I'm afraid this packaging of extras is the way around this and this corruption is starting up here in Canada as one other of our astute PO from the US predicted. Thankfully my dealer has completely prohibited this hack desperate attempt for a cash grab in favour of the long game and customer loyalty.

Last edited: