Selling the 2023 Z over MSRP

West Aussie

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Hyundai I20
I think somewhere along the line we discussed tactics dealers could use to go way above MSRP....
Well, here's my local Toyota dealer, taking a $53K truck, with 53 miles on it, and selling it for $70K "used". This is how dealers will mark up vehicles, even in places with legal restrictions.....
BTW, almost bought this truck exact same truck, brand-new, from a competing dealer for $53K (note, it's an "SR5" which in Toyota-speak is like 1 step above base, and 5 steps below top of the line):
Tundra Way Over MSRP.png
That’s one sure way to lose business.
And this is one way that Nissan US could protect you guys a bit better.
By having pre orders in Canada and Aus, we have signed the contract for NEW cars…can’t get away with this shit, and don’t think buyers would pay for it even if they tried .

I know you guys hate me saying it, but something needs to change over there, this is NOT ok, and nor is selling over market price….it’s simply taking advantage of people and pushing others out of the market

As I said before, car shortages are world wide, US is not special on this account ….so how they get away with it whilst using car shortages as an excuse is beyond me ….just my daily rant on “stearlerships” as I see some on here call them, and I’m inclined to agree

just ignore me while I throw my toys out of the pram for a minute 🤣

Last edited:

RicerX

First Name
Z
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Titan Pro4X
I think somewhere along the line we discussed tactics dealers could use to go way above MSRP....
Well, here's my local Toyota dealer, taking a $53K truck, with 53 miles on it, and selling it for $70K "used". This is how dealers will mark up vehicles, even in places with legal restrictions.....
BTW, almost bought this truck exact same truck, brand-new, from a competing dealer for $53K (note, it's an "SR5" which in Toyota-speak is like 1 step above base, and 5 steps below top of the line):
Tundra Way Over MSRP.png
That blue is breathtaking.

However, I would take that $53k and go get a fully loaded Titan Pro4X now that rebates are coming back (at least here in the south they are) and Toyota can keep their crappy turbos on their truck. I'd go check out YouTube to see progress on the fix for the turbo problem in those things.

Tud

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Dodge Ram............. Not looking to trade in
Occupation
Retired
Ok. Hella jelly. What price did you get and what province or state? Impossible to get here in Canada. I put an order in and it was rejected by GM.
I am in Florida, USA

Subarashi

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Toyota Camry, Q60 RWD
This is off topic but I was actually looking into a BRZ/GR86 but they're making it up 5K-10K in my area which puts it right at it not over 40K OTD......
If we have to spend 40K OTD for a BRZ/GR86 yeah might as well keep looking at the Nissan Z

West Aussie

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Hyundai I20
This is off topic but I was actually looking into a BRZ/GR86 but they're making it up 5K-10K in my area which puts it right at it not over 40K OTD......
If we have to spend 40K OTD for a BRZ/GR86 yeah might as well keep looking at the Nissan Z
Wow! Thats more than what they are selling for in Aus and usually our prices are way higher than yours

takemorepills

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Q60
Are you assuming that the Z won't be marked up?

Because I bet if they're getting $5-10k+ in the 86, we'll see $10-20k+ for the Z .

Blackbeard

First Name
Anthony
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
22 Supra
Occupation
Mechanic
the prob is that desperation plays a part in all this.. this short isnt going to last long i tell you...ive seen the yards and ports they are packed with new cars just waiting ..

takemorepills

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Q60
the prob is that desperation plays a part in all this.. this short isnt going to last long i tell you...ive seen the yards and ports they are packed with new cars just waiting ..
"This isn't going to last long"
Where have I heard something like that?
Oh yeah, back in 2020, it was "only 2 weeks"

indio22

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
'72 Rover S3, '85 CJ7, '98 TJ, '14 BRZ, '23 Bronco
Meaning you see evidence of a backlog buildup of vehicles, which at some point will need to enter the market, hence reducing scarcity?

Probably certain more popular vehicles, could still have scarcity. For example, I'm thinking how Ford reportedly already closed orders for the new F150 Lighting EV pickup truck. An aspect impacting the new Z, will be ramp up time for full production and popularity.

Blackbeard

First Name
Anthony
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
22 Supra
Occupation
Mechanic
"This isn't going to last long"
Where have I heard something like that?
Oh yeah, back in 2020, it was "only 2 weeks"
well im telling you from what i witness dispatching for car hauling company we move stuff for manufacturer, i had talked about this a few weeks ago but there is a dealer in NC i think we have sent more than 30 frontiers to

Last edited:

Subarashi

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Toyota Camry, Q60 RWD
The car company I used to work at, we did have a lot of cars at the port; but what was happening was that our cars didn't stay long at the dealer usually the car never rarely spent much time at the dealer and usually are sold before they even touch the ground.

Subarashi

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Toyota Camry, Q60 RWD
Are you assuming that the Z won't be marked up?

Because I bet if they're getting $5-10k+ in the 86, we'll see $10-20k+ for the Z .
I'm not even sure anymore lol I don't even know what to do, as much as I love Tesla's nondealership approach...I don't like the look of any of the Teslas and their interior is terrible (The screen and no gauges on the Model 3)