Jah_Happy

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2023 Z (Everest White, Performance, 6MT)
A huge Z fan that won’t pay 4.5k more than what was expected…come on
To be honestI get the disappointment but I don’t get the hate for less than 5k more than what you were expecting, it’s not like it’s 10k plus.

As to what it’s worth I stick by what I said, it’s worth what people will pay and plenty will…after all there are people who will pay thousands of dollars for a mass produced Lego set …it’s worth what people will pay, end of.

You Say you don’t want it to disappear but wont support the development changes that were made, you say your an enthusiast that wants a car to stay…but here you are trashing it and attempting to make people feel bad because they do think it’s worth it.
The thing is, for a lot of us in the US its not a measly "4.5k" its more like 10k over what was initially expected. I think i was being pretty reasonable expecting the performance to be around 46k or so but its way more than. 50k starting + destination fee of 1100 + 1000 or more extra for most paint colors + taxes and tags starts the thing at 55k. Oh and dont get me started on markups, I havent even discussed that yet haha. I understand in AUS things are different (we've beat that to death) but it should be easy to see why many are disappointed and not just complaining over a couple grand. I still want the car but that price isnt justified to me. Guess im not rich enough lol.

OP
OP

West Aussie

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Hyundai I20
The thing is, for a lot of us in the US its not a measly "4.5k" its more like 10k over what was initially expected. I think i was being pretty reasonable expecting the performance to be around 46k or so but its way more than. 50k starting + destination fee of 1100 + 1000 or more extra for most paint colors + taxes and tags starts the thing at 55k. Oh and dont get me started on markups, I havent even discussed that yet haha. I understand in AUS things are different (we've beat that to death) but it should be easy to see why many are disappointed and not just complaining over a couple grand. I still want the car but that price isnt justified to me. Guess im not rich enough lol.
Just as long as you understand, our price is not 73300 either. With a yellow performance I’ll be paying 83159k on road
my Point however is not so much that.
I get some won’t be able to afford it….that doesn't mean the cars not worth it

vb22

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
?
Occupation
Freeloader
Has it been confirmed that the 9 speed is from Mercedes?

Blackbeard

First Name
Anthony
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
22 Supra
Occupation
Mechanic
i hate t tell these people that destination fee shouldnt even be 1000 bucks cause like nissan for exp.. pay us 150-240 bucks a car not 1000 bucks a car maybe the whole load cost about 1500 or more depending its going

RicerX

First Name
Z
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Titan Pro4X
Has it been confirmed that the 9 speed is from Mercedes?
It's not built by Mercedes, however the original core of the design came from the Mercedes partnership of the mid 2010s and was mostly a Mercedes design. It is 100% built by Jatco just like the automatic was in the 370Z.

The basics of the transmission are present in the 2020+ Frontier and 2020+ Titan. There are some tweaks to it for the Z.

DevonK

First Name
Take a guess
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
TBD
For those interested in fleshing out the history of the new Z's development beyond what Savagegeese provides here there is a revealing Facebook blog by ZCCA Executive Director Chris Karl posted over on that "other" forum. He also drove the new Z and gives his take. (Direct facebook link dosen't work here.)

Last edited:

Donalex

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
1995 Nissan 300ZX
i hate t tell these people that destination fee shouldnt even be 1000 bucks cause like nissan for exp.. pay us 150-240 bucks a car not 1000 bucks a car maybe the whole load cost about 1500 or more depending its going
I guess you forgot about the trip across the sea from Japan...

Blackbeard

First Name
Anthony
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
22 Supra
Occupation
Mechanic
I guess you forgot about the trip across the sea from Japan...
no i didnt but they get bulk pricing.. per car it still doesnt reach 1000 bucks

2017370ZBlack

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2017 370Z 6MT & 2015 Xterra Pro-4X
It's not built by Mercedes, however the original core of the design came from the Mercedes partnership of the mid 2010s and was mostly a Mercedes design. It is 100% built by Jatco just like the automatic was in the 370Z.

The basics of the transmission are present in the 2020+ Frontier and 2020+ Titan. There are some tweaks to it for the Z.
The auto trans uses a magnesium case for the Z only (has a Z logo on it) to save 44 pounds.

94boosted

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Camaro SS 1LE, BMW 340, Ford F150
@dezoris excellent review.

Can you guys speak to the rev limiter at all by chance? Silly question I know. Jason Cammisa mentioned that once the car hits redline (@ 7K RPM) it will cut power until revs drop below 6K RPM. Was that your experience as well? If so that seems like a terrible design for a sports car.

vb22

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
?
Occupation
Freeloader

I see, but it's odd that in that interview with Steven that Dan Passe said something along the lines of it had nothing to do with the Mercedes 9 speed AT.

TaroBaapG35

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
18' Audi S4, '22 M3 LR
Occupation
Finance Professional
The GREAT thing about this engine (similarly for Supra and new BRZ) is since its been out for a couple years, the aftermarket already got some development work out of the way, so just have to revisit and update, versus spend much longer in trying to understand. EcuTek tune will most likely solve majority of the engine bogginess, and power cut off issues that are present in stock.

DevonK

First Name
Take a guess
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
TBD
@dezoris excellent review.

Can you guys speak to the rev limiter at all by chance? Silly question I know. Jason Cammisa mentioned that once the car hits redline (@ 7K RPM) it will cut power until revs drop below 6K RPM. Was that your experience as well? If so that seems like a terrible design for a sports car.
I think that is only when using the paddles.