First Name
shawn
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
350Z Nismo
Occupation
Nissan Salesrep
@McLovin157 are US dealers already starting to take down what people want to order? I've contacted mine (N. Carolina) and haven't heard anything back yet. Number 4 on their "list" for what it's worth.
I’ve been taking “orders” sense July of 2021. Now it’s up to the dealership you work with to treat you with honesty and integrity and get you what you want. So my biggest advice is get as much information as possible. Pricing is out so they should be able to give you very solid numbers for what they are selling the car for. Also like @Donalex said start with your own financing. There is a 99% chance there will be no special financing for the Z (most sports cars don’t). Get an idea of what you qualify for then see if it’s possible for a dealer to beat whatever financing you bring. If you can great you get a lower rate, if not you already know what you have.

Eatonian49

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2016 R/T Challenger, Focus SE
Occupation
Electrical Engineer
I’ve been taking “orders” sense July of 2021. Now it’s up to the dealership you work with to treat you with honesty and integrity and get you what you want. So my biggest advice is get as much information as possible. Pricing is out so they should be able to give you very solid numbers for what they are selling the car for. Also like @Donalex said start with your own financing. There is a 99% chance there will be no special financing for the Z (most sports cars don’t). Get an idea of what you qualify for then see if it’s possible for a dealer to beat whatever financing you bring. If you can great you get a lower rate, if not you already know what you have.
Awesome thank you. The dealer I'm working with is one of the highest Z car selling ones in the state so they should be good. Just need to bug em more haha.

McLovin157

First Name
shawn
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
350Z Nismo
Occupation
Nissan Salesrep
Awesome thank you. The dealer I'm working with is one of the highest Z car selling ones in the state so they should be good. Just need to bug em more haha.
It’s all about trust, if you can’t trust them don’t do business with them. Otherwise enjoy the experience. I will say expect a slow first 1-3 months for the Z. Thing will slowly begin rolling as time goes on.

Eatonian49

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Occupation
Electrical Engineer
It’s all about trust, if you can’t trust them don’t do business with them. Otherwise enjoy the experience. I will say expect a slow first 1-3 months for the Z. Thing will slowly begin rolling as time goes on.
My trade-in won't really be ready until about November when I pay it off but I want to get ahead of the game if I can.

Also random question. In your experience do you get better value selling your car to a dealer vs trading it in at the time of sale? Or does it matter?

McLovin157

First Name
shawn
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
350Z Nismo
Occupation
Nissan Salesrep
My trade-in won't really be ready until about November when I pay it off but I want to get ahead of the game if I can.

Also random question. In your experience do you get better value selling your car to a dealer vs trading it in at the time of sale? Or does it matter?
You will always make more money private selling. If you have to due to time constraints as much as I hate it check carvana first. They pay stupid money for cars 80% of the time (hence they are hurried in thousands of cars). But hey it’s what’s best for you. Worst case scenario cavana gives you X for your car and the dealership can’t match. Sell your car to them and take the cash as a down payment.

Nice boat

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
FR-S

Most of the time selling to private parties will yield a better price compared to trade-ins, but for some states trading in a car could reduce the tax that you have to pay for the new car. Better first check if that applies to your state because this could save you 1-2k depending on what you are trading in.

Eatonian49

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Occupation
Electrical Engineer
You will always make more money private selling. If you have to due to time constraints as much as I hate it check carvana first. They pay stupid money for cars 80% of the time (hence they are hurried in thousands of cars). But hey it’s what’s best for you. Worst case scenario cavana gives you X for your car and the dealership can’t match. Sell your car to them and take the cash as a down payment.
My Challenger is valued around 30k according to KBB at the dealer and a little less for private. If I get ANYWHERE near that I'll be golden payment wise. Plus where I live it'll be a super easy turn around for them haha.

I also just prefer the convenience of the dealer. To this date (everything crossed) I've had great success with dealer interactions.

Edit: I'll check Carvana too for grins
Edit 2: 28k from them which is probably more realistic

Last edited:

FBD

First Name
FBD
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
90 300ZX 93 300ZX Roadster 14 370Z StillenRoadster
Yes, strictly because of convenience, especially if the manufacturer offers a "subvented" or sponsored rate such as 1.99% which is designed to move product (you HAVE to get the loan through the manufacturer's finance arm).

Now, here's where it gets sleazy. Say, you go to dealer and they get an approval from one of their lenders. In almost all cases, the dealer can mark up the rate as much as 3 to 4% and will keep about 75% of that extra interest profit, with the bank keeping the rest.

Some Credit Unions don't allow their network dealers to do that.

That's why it's VITAL to obtain financing before you go, and the dealer will accept a "sight draft", and they'll get paid when they prove to the bank the lien has been applied to the title of the car. A Credit Union usually has the lowest rates, and a vast majority have arrangements with local dealers.
It is not really like that in Canada. Many times I have gone through VW financing (they own their own and are famous for it) or Nissan secures a guaranteed rate through a bank but procured through Nissan with their rates. Last time Nissan had a block deal for either 2.9% or 3.9% and it was with Servus Credit Union in Alberta. Incidentally although they are not a bank they just won bank of the year in Canada. lol.

McLovin157

First Name
shawn
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
350Z Nismo
Occupation
Nissan Salesrep
It is not really like that in Canada. Many times I have gone through VW financing (they own their own and are famous for it) or Nissan secures a guaranteed rate through a bank but procured through Nissan with their rates. Last time Nissan had a block deal for either 2.9% or 3.9% and it was with Servus Credit Union in Alberta. Incidentally although they are not a bank they just won bank of the year in Canada. lol.
In the US Nissan has its own financing NMAC (Nissan Motor Acceptance Communications) or something like that. In the states Nissan offers typically the BEST rates. 0% isn’t a thing right now but .9% is unbeatable currently. Though Nissan only uses Equifax and they are a bit strict with their financing. Though you have to qualify for the best.

trackratZ

First Name
August
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
240Z RB26DETT,Glady Rubi, Model Y LR, 987 Cayman S
Occupation
Software security
Sold my wife's 5 Series thru Carvana, very quick painless process, I'm surprised, plus they give me just about $1K less than retail used, happy here!

McLovin157

First Name
shawn
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
350Z Nismo
Occupation
Nissan Salesrep
Sold my wife's 5 Series thru Carvana, very quick painless process, I'm surprised, plus they give me just about $1K less than retail used, happy here!
The strategy currently is sell to carvana but not buying from them 😂

West Aussie

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Hyundai I20
Only those who can’t get bank loans or use their home equity would use financing in Aus…they are rip off merchants here.
As to trade in…private will always get more money here. The dealer goes low, then doubles the price to resell.
After inquiries with dealers about my Peugeot the best offer I could get was 15k …won’t say how much but I got a LOT more than that private, and they would be able to sell at an even higher price now

Denver the Last Dinosaur

First Name
Denver
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
cardboard box
^ Dealer trade in prices are of course always lower since they then have to on-sell it at a profit for them ... but with private selling you have to take into account the hassle (including the possibility of a "test drive" never returning) the lower dealer price might be worthwhile. It's really an individual choice. There are even sales yards around here that will sell it for you, for a fee, so that removes some of the private selling hassle.

The other option is to sell to junk yard as parts/scrap. Depending on the car and condition, you could get $10k or more at the top end.

Connelly

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Slowbaru
Another thing to consider is the taxes in your state. In Georgia, the trade-in reduces the taxable amount of the new car purchase. So if a dealer gives you $30k for your car on a $50k new car, you only pay the sales tax (6.6%) on the difference ($20k). If you sell privately and then walk in with your $30k down payment, then you're going to pay an extra $1,980 than if you had just traded it in.

That being said, I recently sold to Carvana. We didn't need the car, and they paid me $1k more than I paid for it new about 18 months prior. The process wasn't too bad overall. Some hiccups, but nothing major. The crazy thing is I live just down the street from a Carvana. I assumed I would just drive the car over there, sell it, and walk back. Nope. lol. They had to come meet me. It was actually more of a pain in the ass that way for me, since I'm in a building of apartments/condos. In retrospect, I should have just put the address of the dealer as where I would meet them.

Eatonian49

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Occupation
Electrical Engineer
Another thing to consider is the taxes in your state. In Georgia, the trade-in reduces the taxable amount of the new car purchase. So if a dealer gives you $30k for your car on a $50k new car, you only pay the sales tax (6.6%) on the difference ($20k). If you sell privately and then walk in with your $30k down payment, then you're going to pay an extra $1,980 than if you had just traded it in.

That being said, I recently sold to Carvana. We didn't need the car, and they paid me $1k more than I paid for it new about 18 months prior. The process wasn't too bad overall. Some hiccups, but nothing major. The crazy thing is I live just down the street from a Carvana. I assumed I would just drive the car over there, sell it, and walk back. Nope. lol. They had to come meet me. It was actually more of a pain in the ass that way for me, since I'm in a building of apartments/condos. In retrospect, I should have just put the address of the dealer as where I would meet them.
Yeah NC is the same way. Taxes on the new car are reduced based on how much the trade in impacted the purchase price.