First Name
K
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2017 370Z
Occupation
Wealth Management
Random thought: has anyone seen a performance comparison between the two Z trims (using and aligning both transmissions)? I'd be curious to see if there's much of a difference off of the track. There wasn't in the case of the 370. In fact, I think it was C&D who claimed a Base 370 with sticky rubber would perform virtually indistinguishably from a NISMO on the street.

takemorepills

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Q60
Random thought: has anyone seen a performance comparison between the two Z trims (using and aligning both transmissions)? I'd be curious to see if there's much of a difference off of the track. There wasn't in the case of the 370. In fact, I think it was C&D who claimed a Base 370 with sticky rubber would perform virtually indistinguishably from a NISMO on the street.
Not yet.

Seeing as how much wheelspin the LSD equipped Performance Z has, it'd be interesting up against an open diff Sport Z.
Wouldn't it be funny if the Sport actually performed better?

Kbl911

First Name
K
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2017 370Z
Occupation
Wealth Management
Not yet.

Seeing as how much wheelspin the LSD equipped Performance Z has, it'd be interesting up against an open diff Sport Z.
Wouldn't it be funny if the Sport actually performed better?
Oh, it would be straight up hilarious! That's a PR nightmare Nissan surely would prefer to avoid, particularly given the bludgeoning the Z has already taken in many notable comparisons.

ZDreamer

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Subaru
Ugh, the more I watch between these two cars, the more I want the Supra.
I can only afford the Sport Z at the moment, so Supra is out of the picture.

If you have the dough, get the Supra 3.0+. Right now, there's so much aftermarket support for the B58TU engine. The B58TU only been around since 2018, much younger than the VR30, but the community is huge---unbelievable!!!!

Andaesthetics

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2014 Nissan 370Z Sport Touring
Ugh, the more I watch between these two cars, the more I want the Supra.
Funny thing is, when I first voted on the poll I voted for the Z. Now after the new Z has been revealed, reviews came out, real life testing was done, and all the dust has settled, I'm leaning much more to the Supra.

Performance wise, no brainer the Supra.
Price wise, for the money I'd take a used Supra over a brand new Z.
Looks wise, I like them both. I'm still not a huge fan of the Z front end/square grille though.

All things considered I'm disappointed with Nissan as far as the new Z is concerned. Disappointing roll out, disappointing performance, and disappointing value when comparing it to the competition.

Maybe I'll still consider the new Z in the future when the market isn't as crazy, but right now it's not very appealling to me. Just my opinion though.

BurninateZ

First Name
Jamie
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
'92 MR2 Turbo, '19 508 GT, '23 Supra GT Manual
and another one...

His summary of which car to buy is what I've been trying to weigh up. The Supra performs a bit better, but at some expense to daily livability and additional cost. I'm still leaning toward the Z as a daily because I don't think I'd be able to get value out of the extra performance without tracking it.

But Does It Djent?

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
1998 BMW Z3
I can only afford the Sport Z at the moment, so Supra is out of the picture.

If you have the dough, get the Supra 3.0+. Right now, there's so much aftermarket support for the B58TU engine. The B58TU only been around since 2018, much younger than the VR30, but the community is huge---unbelievable!!!!
That's my dilemma too. Can't really afford more than the sport Z or I'd probably have a Supra by now. There's really no other new cars in that price range that offer what the Z sport does so I shall keep waiting lol

takemorepills

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Q60
Sport Z for me too. That way, the performance disparity between the Supra and Z seems more reasonable when you are talking $10-15K difference.

And I truly believe, especially for the 9AT, it wouldn't take very much money at all to even up with and surpass a stock BMW Supra, and you'd still be ahead several $K.

However, the 6MT Z seems to be far too much slower than the 6MT BMW, 105 vs 114 in the 1/4 is a massive difference that can't be made up with better traction, because the 9AT obviously loses the traction battle with a Supra, but their trap speeds are close enough that sneaking a JB4 onto a 9AT Z would certainly put it comfortably ahead of a Supra in a roll.

The 6MT though....9 mph in the 1/4 is a lot of catching up to do, even for a turbo car. The great thing about the BMW is that the 8AT and the 6MT are close enough, IMO, that I'd say there's no performance penalty for choosing either transmission.

Heck, the new Z 6MT is only 1mph quicker in the 1/4 than my current car, which I feel is definitely not quick enough for it's intended role in life.

If a blue 6MT BMW Supra ever showed up at my local Toyota dealer for MSRP or under (hey, could happen with the way this economy is going) I would find it real difficult to walk away without buying it. That Supra is ripping for a manual car! In gear acceleration must be really impressive!