Need advice for potential track day

MCN1SMO

First Name
Matt (MC)
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
24 Z NISMO & #1 GTR NISMO
40psi? How do I monitor tire temp? I have an infrared gun. Can I use that to check the surface temp of the tire? Which part of the tire would I measure the temps at the sidewall or tread?

If I do pit I'd probably turn the engine off. That's another thing. How long should the in between lap break period be? 5min or longer?

Btw, any/everything I know about track driving is from racing sims and kart racing.

you want to keep it under 40. 37-38 is what you will probably see. in sport display mode you can monitor the PSI in real time just move the little wheel up and down on the left side of your steering wheel.

I would say a 15-20 min rest between laps and you can leave the hood up to let hot air dissipate faster.

Last edited:

ec15

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
A few
I didn't know that sway bars alone would improve roll. Always thought sway bars and suspension went together. Any recommendations on upgraded bars? My first guess would be the nismo away bars. But I'm open to suggestions.

Yup. It's in the name. Sway bars are also called anti roll bar. Nismo is fine.

OP
OP
Thefunk

Thefunk

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2024 Nissan Z Performance, 2018 Nissan Murano SV
I would say a 15-20 min rest between laps
How many laps can I or should I do before taking a break?

Btw I registered for Track Night at Lime Rock, Novice class. Can't wait!

MCN1SMO

First Name
Matt (MC)
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
How many laps can I or should I do before taking a break?

Btw I registered for Track Night at Lime Rock, Novice class. Can't wait!

Great let us know how it goes. The novice group should have a certain time limit probably 20-30 mins so I would say on average 10 or so laps per session is usually how these things go . You shouldn't have any problems with that many laps at a time.

OP
OP
Thefunk

Thefunk

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Great let us know how it goes. The novice group should have a certain time limit probably 20-30 mins so I would say on average 10 or so laps per session is usually how these things go . You shouldn't have any problems with that many laps at a time.
Wow 10 huh? I guess since Lime Rock is a somewhat short track that makes sense. Just came home from a quick sprint on some empty roads and yeah this car definitely needs stiffer suspension in addition to better sway bars. But highway roads aren't the same as track so I'll know what's what after the track day. Thanks again for all the good advice!

MCN1SMO

First Name
Matt (MC)
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Wow 10 huh? I guess since Lime Rock is a somewhat short track that makes sense. Just came home from a quick sprint on some empty roads and yeah this car definitely needs stiffer suspension in addition to better sway bars. But highway roads aren't the same as track so I'll know what's what after the track day. Thanks again for all the good advice!
it just depends on the session length most track sessions do a cool down lap so that could eat into the lap count a bit per session. I assume this is with a instructor?

OP
OP
Thefunk

Thefunk

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
it just depends on the session length most track sessions do a cool down lap so that could eat into the lap count a bit per session. I assume this is with a instructor?
It's one paced, coached session and three unpaced sessions. ~20min each.

flyrchris

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2023 Nissan Z Performance
I'm looking for some advice from those who have taken their stock Z (or any stock sports car) to the track for a non-competitive track day such as Track Night. I'm planning to go to Lime Rock some point soon to get a feel of my Z on the track. Chad from TireRack advised me that if I'm on the track with the stock Bridgestone Potenzas, that I should do a couple of laps then pit/park to let the tires cool down. I'm assuming this also applies to the brakes. Anything else I should be aware of and do when I do eventually go to the track? Should I bleed the brake fluid and use high heat fluid? He and few others I've spoke to said to not push it past 60-70% (assuming that means throttle). Any advice would be appreciated.
I did a track weekend in February with my stock Z at the MSR Houston. I let a little psi out of tires prior to getting it on the track and removed the "Nissan" wheel hub caps. The brake fluid did great, not once did I feel any pedal fade or mushiness. Each session was about 10 laps. Leaving the track, I shut the car off, just leave the parking brake off to allow even cooling of the brakes and yes, like other posters said, braking should be done in a straight line to get the speed you want and then accelerate out of the turn instead of riding the brakes.

Agree with previous posters. The Z is a heavy car and tuned for a mix between sports car and a GT car. I think it weighs more on the GT side. I felt the car with a stock suspension was sloppy and I felt it in the corners. It needs coilovers and sway bars if you are going to track it often. I wasn't impressed with its handling, but the straightaways. . . . .awesome. The car has a really good powerplant.

I suggest you get track insurance. I get it through Hagerty and the weekend I was at the track, a guy in a new Supra lost control and went off the track. The right side of his car hit the tire wall and a couple of airbags went off. He didn't have track insurance. I am pretty sure his insurance company isnt' going to cover that.

It was a blast of a weekend and I enjoyed every minute of it.

OP
OP
Thefunk

Thefunk

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
I did a track weekend in February with my stock Z at the MSR Houston. I let a little psi out of tires prior to getting it on the track and removed the "Nissan" wheel hub caps. The brake fluid did great, not once did I feel any pedal fade or mushiness. Each session was about 10 laps. Leaving the track, I shut the car off, just leave the parking brake off to allow even cooling of the brakes and yes, like other posters said, braking should be done in a straight line to get the speed you want and then accelerate out of the turn instead of riding the brakes.

Agree with previous posters. The Z is a heavy car and tuned for a mix between sports car and a GT car. I think it weighs more on the GT side. I felt the car with a stock suspension was sloppy and I felt it in the corners. It needs coilovers and sway bars if you are going to track it often. I wasn't impressed with its handling, but the straightaways. . . . .awesome. The car has a really good powerplant.

I suggest you get track insurance. I get it through Hagerty and the weekend I was at the track, a guy in a new Supra lost control and went off the track. The right side of his car hit the tire wall and a couple of airbags went off. He didn't have track insurance. I am pretty sure his insurance company isnt' going to cover that.

It was a blast of a weekend and I enjoyed every minute of it.
Btw so I currently have 4.5k miles on it, I changed the oil at 1k miles. Should I change the oil (and even bleed/refill brake fluid) before the track day? I was told by a gentleman at SCCA I should just go drive and have fun don't worry about the fluids since it's a new car. But I've also read that fluids should be fresh and brake pads should be new.

trackratZ

First Name
August
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
240Z RB26DETT,Glady Rubi, Model Y LR, 987 Cayman S
Occupation
Software security
Might sound boring, but I always stress safety first, no matter what car new or used. Things come up fast on track!!!
Unless you got some experience like autox or other similar, make your first experience without issues.

-upgrade to track or semi-track pads (avoids any fade)
-HIGH temp DOT-4 (extra insurance)
-tire pressures, start with factory settings and adjust after sessions, per tire make recommendations
-current Snell approved helmet
-track insurance (Hagerty)
-at least ONE instructor session (helps a ton for particular track). I do instruct for a local org here.
-keep traction control On for starters

The new Z is somewhat capable out of the box but more peace of mind once safety is addressed. Good luck. Report back

Last edited:
OP
OP
Thefunk

Thefunk

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Might sound boring, but I always stress safety first, no matter what car new or used. Things come up fast on track!!!
Unless you got some experience like autox or other similar, make your first experience without issues.

-upgrade to track or semi-track pads (avoids any fade)
-HIGH temp DOT-4 (extra insurance)
-tire pressures, start with factory settings and adjust after sessions, per tire make recommendations
-current Snell approved helmet
-track insurance (Hagerty)
-at least ONE instructor session (helps a ton for particular track). I do instruct for a local org here.
-keep traction control On for starters

The new Z is somewhat capable out of the box but more peace of mind once safety is addressed. Good luck. Report back
Wow thanks!
So far my brakes still feel brand new. I don't think I'll be able to get higher quality pads on there before track day (June 18th). The car already uses DOT4 fluid (same fluid as the R35). I'm a total white belt so yeah traction control will be on and I definitely won't be going full speed. I think we get an instructor. It's TNiA at Lime Rock. I bought Hagerty Insurance for the day. Got the helmet from SCCA a month ago. I also have a portable digital tire Inflator and pressure gauge.

Wanted to add I also have a jack, jack stands, torque wrench, small socket set, window cleaner spray, rags.

Racechrono with ODBLINK LX. GoPro Hero 10 mounted at the back window. The challenge will be fitting all my gear in the car. Also need to bring a chair and a bin.

Last edited:

trackratZ

First Name
August
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
240Z RB26DETT,Glady Rubi, Model Y LR, 987 Cayman S
Occupation
Software security
First session in the novice group should be lead-follow, then after couple of laps, practice passing with point-bys, comfortable w using mirrors and track position. Hope they do that, really helps picking up proper lines and braking zones. Good to not overdrive the track, smoother inputs, braking, steering, accel. You got at least 4 sessions, build up speed thru the day, no need to rush it. Good luck and get hooked👍

flyrchris

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2023 Nissan Z Performance
Btw so I currently have 4.5k miles on it, I changed the oil at 1k miles. Should I change the oil (and even bleed/refill brake fluid) before the track day? I was told by a gentleman at SCCA I should just go drive and have fun don't worry about the fluids since it's a new car. But I've also read that fluids should be fresh and brake pads should be new.
I didn't change anything on my Z and it did fine at the track with oil consumption and no issues with brake fluid.