Need advice for potential track day

Thefunk

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2024 Nissan Z Performance, 2018 Nissan Murano SV
I'm looking for some advice from those who have taken their stock Z (or any stock sports car) to the track for a non-competitive track day such as Track Night. I'm planning to go to Lime Rock some point soon to get a feel of my Z on the track. Chad from TireRack advised me that if I'm on the track with the stock Bridgestone Potenzas, that I should do a couple of laps then pit/park to let the tires cool down. I'm assuming this also applies to the brakes. Anything else I should be aware of and do when I do eventually go to the track? Should I bleed the brake fluid and use high heat fluid? He and few others I've spoke to said to not push it past 60-70% (assuming that means throttle). Any advice would be appreciated.

MCN1SMO

First Name
Matt (MC)
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
24 Z NISMO & #1 GTR NISMO
Sounds like you haven't done much of this before? That will actually decrease the stress on the car as yes about 70% seems about right to get used to the Z and the track for the first time. That doesn't mean throttle that means just your overall pace. Coming out of a turn into a straight of course you floor it as that's the whole point of a track day. The 70% Is more about that percentage of your limits overall. Like put down smooth laps but don't feel like you have to carry more speed into a turn than what are comfortable with . I assume you will have an instructor that will greatly help you with this part

Potenzas will be fine just keep an eye on temps once they get around 40. most track days are done in sessions so you should be fine just adjust them after the session if needed. For brakes just try not to trail brake(that means staying on them during the entire turn) you do a firm braking then your turn in then acceleration out. Riding the brakes is sort of a safety net but that will heat them up more than necessary. I think the Z uses the same Dot4 fluid as the GTR so again shouldn't be an issue just pay attention to the pedal feel to make sure it doesn't go mushy as that is an indication of a boil but again for a more novice track day shouldn't be an issue.

Watch for you overall temps especially if you are just idling waiting to go back out on track the Z and not moving . The Z can get up to 220-230 real quick on a hot day.

Watch for fuel starvation which is common on these cars. Not much you can do about it other than trying to maintain half a tank or more during your session.

The Z in stock form has a bit of body roll but you will feel it lean or shift over before the turn in. Some say the Potenzas don't have a linear sensation of traction loss meaning they break free without warning. I only did a limited amount of track on them so just be aware and don't push things at first.

#1 rule is focus on smooth inputs roll on the brake then roll on the gas no jabbing motions same goes for the steering wheel

Last edited:

MacCool

First Name
Mac
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2024 Performance Z, GMC2500HD (winter), others
Occupation
retired
Look over your insurance policy. Any damage that happens to the car isn't likely covered.

OP
OP
Thefunk

Thefunk

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Potenzas will be fine just keep an eye on temps once they get around 40.
40psi? How do I monitor tire temp? I have an infrared gun. Can I use that to check the surface temp of the tire? Which part of the tire would I measure the temps at the sidewall or tread?

The Z in stock form has a bit of body roll but you will feel it lean or shift over before the turn in.
Well aware of this. I have been looking at the Silver's NEOMAX Swift coils.

Watch for you overall temps especially if you are just idling waiting to go back out on track the Z and not moving
If I do pit I'd probably turn the engine off. That's another thing. How long should the in between lap break period be? 5min or longer?

Btw, any/everything I know about track driving is from racing sims and kart racing.

OP
OP
Thefunk

Thefunk

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Look over your insurance policy. Any damage that happens to the car isn't likely covered.
Track Night has one-day insurance offers to insure your car on the track only just for the days you're on track.

rocksandblues

First Name
bob
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
GL450, m3, e90, GLC300, Zupra, C280
Occupation
taco bell
bring a tire pressure gauge for sure.
as tires heat up beyond normal driving the pressure increases and most tires like to be around 35lbs at track temperature. As a newbie you won't be pushing very hard but swapping out oem brake fluid for dot 4 or better is always wise.

track night ( i don't participate) is always one that scares me for people. there are no instructors and that let anyone just send it. be careful and dont assume anyone in front or behind you has a clue.

There are cute articles online that list some things to bring which can be helpful. message me if I can help further. i do around 40 track days per season. Don't have a Z but love the sport/hobby/addiction.

VIR is a blast if anyone iis around

Last edited:
OP
OP
Thefunk

Thefunk

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
swapping out oem brake fluid for dot 4 or better is always wise
Can I use DOT4 fluid for daily driving as well or will I have to bleed and fill with regular fluid after I'm done with the track?

track night ( i don't participate) is always one that scares me for people
I've seen videos of track night where some drivers disregard track rules. I'll be keeping distance and be constantly checking my mirrors as I do on the normal road.

rocksandblues

First Name
bob
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
GL450, m3, e90, GLC300, Zupra, C280
Occupation
taco bell
Can I use DOT4 fluid for daily driving as well or will I have to bleed and fill with regular fluid after I'm done with the track?

I've seen videos of track night where some drivers disregard track rules. I'll be keeping distance and be constantly checking my mirrors as I do on the normal road.
higher end brake fluids are fine for everyday driving. just over kill in the heat dept but function same.

bring a chair, some water. keep eye on air pressure and car temps. entry driving wont stress anything. and have fun! hope you get addicted.

MacCool

First Name
Mac
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2024 Performance Z, GMC2500HD (winter), others
Occupation
retired
Track Night has one-day insurance offers to insure your car on the track only just for the days you're on track.
Nice! Solves that problem. I live only a few miles from Brainerd International Raceway and have been out there with a buddy, but wasn't aware that such an option existed.

OP
OP
Thefunk

Thefunk

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Nice! Solves that problem. I live only a few miles from Brainerd International Raceway and have been out there with a buddy, but wasn't aware that such an option existed.
Just dug a little deeper. It's Hagerty Insurance. I remember a phone combo with a lady works at SCCA. She told me that I would be able to buy insurance just for a day.

Here's the link for more info
https://www.tracknightinamerica.com/pages/track-insurance-2

ec15

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
A few
Definitely swap to dot4. No need to go back to dot3 afterwards. Everything else in the car will be fine based on your experience level.

Bring an air compressor to air up if you will be messing with tire psi. Check your psi as soon as you get off the track and adjust from there if needed.

Check if lug nuts are torqued properly.

Drive smooth, stay safe and have fun.

OP
OP
Thefunk

Thefunk

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
This may have to be a new thread but if I want to upgrade the suspension for track use, it won't just be coil overs right? Is the suspension system more than just shocks?

ec15

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
A few
This may have to be a new thread but if I want to upgrade the suspension for track use, it won't just be coil overs right? Is the suspension system more than just shocks?
I would upgrade the sway bars first. They help with body roll more than coilovers/spring & shocks.
When you start getting into coilovers, you need to consider getting the car back into alignment if you are changing ride height. That requires new suspension arms.

So far my googling has revealed that the RZ34 comes with DOT4
Never a bad idea for fresh brake fluid before a track event.

OP
OP
Thefunk

Thefunk

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
I would upgrade the sway bars first. They help with body roll more than coilovers/spring & shocks.
I didn't know that sway bars alone would improve roll. Always thought sway bars and suspension went together. Any recommendations on upgraded bars? My first guess would be the nismo away bars. But I'm open to suggestions.