Zplz

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Avalon
I came from a 2012 G37, so I think the camera looks pretty good. I guess it's what you're used to. That said, I have noticed that the frame rate is pretty bad (maybe worse than the G37). I see lots of image stuttering when I'm moving. I think the resolution of the display is a big step up from the G37, the camera resolution may still be low.
The rear view camera is certainly better than what was standard on the 240Z. ;)

backing-up-car-accident-stlouis.jpg

Supremekai

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2024 Nissan Z
I still have my 2012 Audi A5 3.0T (supercharged) which was a $120k car in 2012 and the Z camera is better than the non existent one in that car! Seriously everyone does it really matter ? It functions perfectly well for what it does.
It matters because of the price. There should be standards/expectations right? If a $25k car has a better camera.....

Otherwise everyone should just get a 2018 prius or whatever, it functions perfectly well for what it does.

OP
OP
MapleOne

MapleOne

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2023 Nissan Z
Otherwise everyone should just get a 2018 prius or whatever, it functions perfectly well for what it does.
Quite honestly I plan to replace the entire head unit, back camera and install a front camera as soon as I can figure out who can do it.

I will keep the original parts but this is on my mod list along with a throatier exhaust and tints on the side.

With the exhaust I want to preserve the real tips because I think they are integral to the Z and I'm not hot on the massive tips I see on the aftermarket so far.

takemorepills

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Q60
My opinion about the rearview camera is that field of view is more important than resolution.
The rear camera on my wife's Corolla hatchback is pretty good, that car is small, and when parked between SUVs or big trucks, the camera on her car comes in real handy, it has almost a 180 field of view, the moment the butt of the Corolla pops out past the SUVs, I can see vehicles coming up and down the parking aisle. In that aspect, it's way better than my Q60, and I'll bet the Z camera is the same as my Q60. Not great, but my Q60 also has sensors, and I pretty much prefer the sensors 90% of the time over the camera. I'd like to see the Z offered with sensors too.

I began driving in the early 90's, I'll just point out that we did perfectly fine without these aids, and in fact you should learn to operate your car without the aids. Many aids don't work in severe weather.
Furthermore, I don't see the value in complaining about how the rear camera of your Z compares to your sister's cheaper NPC vehicle.
If the quality of the camera bugs you because you're sensitive to the march of tech and progress, even if the camera is good in 2023, after 5 years you might be itching to trade in the Z on an EV with a VR system.

Jughead

First Name
Willie
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
rogue, wrangler
Occupation
Sales Management
Can you take a photo of it?
Mine doesn't look much different than the others posted here. Again, I am comparing it to other vehicles. Toyotas and Fords are the worst. But I guess my standards are just lower than everyone else's for thinking mine if more than sufficient. The view/angle is also much better than most. I am a couple feet inside my garage and can see both ends of a 2+ car garage.
1686318947437.jpeg

Hammo25

First Name
Jamie
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Audi A5
It matters because of the price. There should be standards/expectations right? If a $25k car has a better camera.....

I get it, but by the same standard what’s with all these cars that are twice the price with nothing close to the 400hp and styling of the Z?

If I have to take a crappy reverse camera as trade for that engine at this price point - I’ll take it.

West Aussie

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Hyundai I20
Think people are missing the point.
This is not a cheap car..yes you can swap it out, yes you did without one not that long ago.
The fact remains, you’re paying a price that should have a high resolution camera.
That’s the point.
It’s like the stealership argument. Yes it’s market forces, yes the car is in limited supply…it doesn't mean you should pay more for the car that essentially is not worth the money.
Again, the more people accept mediocre behaviour from dealers, or mediocre equipment in a car that should have better the more the dealers and manufacturers will push the boundaries
Is it a breaking point….probably not, we are not buying the car for the reverse camera.
But is the camera good quality? Come on guys…it’s not, and it should be better for the price of the car and the year it’s built

OP
OP
MapleOne

MapleOne

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2023 Nissan Z
Went out for a drive with my son last night, my car will never see rain or snow so it was a treat.

Forgot about any Beefs or Peeves I had while I was driving this incredible machine.

Going to preserve this car with low mileage and heated storage.

Its going to be one of the last...

- Two Door Sports coups
- Rear drive
- manual
- twin turbo
- 400 horses

From here on forward we will see all new platforms come out in electric. That is why even Nissan needed to use the old platform.

You want a blast from the past with modern technology, you best get it now because gasoline sports cars like this are fast going extinct.

Zplz

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Avalon
Went out for a drive with my son last night, my car will never see rain or snow so it was a treat.

Forgot about any Beefs or Peeves I had while I was driving this incredible machine.

Going to preserve this car with low mileage and heated storage.

Its going to be one of the last...

- Two Door Sports coups
- Rear drive
- manual
- twin turbo
- 400 horses

From here on forward we will see all new platforms come out in electric. That is why even Nissan needed to use the old platform.

You want a blast from the past with modern technology, you best get it now because gasoline sports cars like this are fast going extinct.
Exactly. The “good old days” are now. ;) I just hope Nissan produces the Z long enough for me to get a new one without being completely groped and robbed by a dealer. Preferably, in Passion Red. ;)

Andaesthetics

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2014 Nissan 370Z Sport Touring
Think people are missing the point.
This is not a cheap car..yes you can swap it out, yes you did without one not that long ago.
The fact remains, you’re paying a price that should have a high resolution camera.
That’s the point.
It’s like the stealership argument. Yes it’s market forces, yes the car is in limited supply…it doesn't mean you should pay more for the car that essentially is not worth the money.
Again, the more people accept mediocre behaviour from dealers, or mediocre equipment in a car that should have better the more the dealers and manufacturers will push the boundaries
Is it a breaking point….probably not, we are not buying the car for the reverse camera.
But is the camera good quality? Come on guys…it’s not, and it should be better for the price of the car and the year it’s built
Exactly this. Some folks on here are in the honeymoon phase and being borderline delusional. Which is understandable; getting a brand new car is always exciting and I'm sure overall the new Z is a fun car.

HOWEVER, settling for less leads to Nissan not wanting to improve their products. As consumers we should be pointing out faulty and/or low quality features that need to be improved, so future model years get improvements. The camera quality is one area that obviously needs improvement as they're clearly using the same damn reverse camera from 2009 that was in the 370Z.

Not to mention that fact that multiple owners have stated on this forum that the backup camera on their Z randomly stops working in general.