First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2016 Mustang GT
Occupation
nurse
It's interesting, I've seen quite a few testers running extremely disappointing 0-60 times. For reference, although MT quotes the 370Z as having been tested with a 5.2 second 0-60 time, if I recall correctly, that was a base spec manual which essentially behaves as if the rear tires were buttered from the factory. I've seen test times as low as 4.6 seconds with an automatic Sport trim (I think it was a 2015) so the Performance spec 2023 running 4.3 with an auto seems...sad. Just an observation.
I agree. I thought it would be faster. 0-60 isn't too bad, but the quarter is pretty bad IMO. I'm guessing the advertised hp is pretty accurate compared to the underrated power of the Supra. I wonder how much better tires and a tune will wake it up?

Kbl911

First Name
K
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2017 370Z
Occupation
Wealth Management
I agree. I thought it would be faster. 0-60 isn't too bad, but the quarter is pretty bad IMO. I'm guessing the advertised hp is pretty accurate compared to the underrated power of the Supra. I wonder how much better tires and a tune will wake it up?
Tires would go a loooong way, for sure. A tune would be interesting but it could conceivably make it even *harder* to launch, depending how it's specifically mapped/designed. I had an Eclipse that had serious traction issues with mild tuning, and a similar issue with my Solstice GXP once I started playing around with that. Maybe it's just me 😂

jdm-rhd

First Name
rob
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
95 hardtop supra, 93 widebody rx7, 93 stockish rx7
Occupation
videogame tester/skater
Tires would go a loooong way, for sure. A tune would be interesting but it could conceivably make it even *harder* to launch, depending how it's specifically mapped/designed. I had an Eclipse that had serious traction issues with mild tuning, and a similar issue with my Solstice GXP once I started playing around with that. Maybe it's just me 😂
you guys gotta remember too...apart from the crappy tires, the new Z gained quite a bit of weight.

Kbl911

First Name
K
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2017 370Z
Occupation
Wealth Management
you guys gotta remember too...apart from the crappy tires, the new Z gained quite a bit of weight.
Oh, yeah, for certain. But I don't think that's what's really holding back its sprints. Definitely a handling concern, and various publications have lamented the damping and lack of adjustable suspension settings as being issues with the Z, so that could reflect the old platform failing to fully cope with the added weight.

takemorepills

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Q60
Are you talking about the 1/4 of the new Z?

We can't compare what one test was to a different test from a different entity.

The first Z test I saw, it was put up against the mustang and Supra, all 3 lined up.

The Z posted a 116 trap to the Supra's 117.
That's a tick off, although the Supra was pretty far ahead due to an excellent launch, the trap speed tells me they could be nose to nose if the Z could launch better.

I have always been doubtful the old Z chassis is sophisticated enough to take on the BMW, no matter how much power it can make. I truly believe the Z makes very competitive power.
But, the chassis is a letdown that I'm not sure tires alone could fix.

I'm quite happy with the Z as-is. I'd have better tires on it anyway, if it could launch better, that's cool.

BurninateZ

First Name
Jamie
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
'92 MR2 Turbo, '19 508 GT, '23 Supra GT Manual
Oh, yeah, for certain. But I don't think that's what's really holding back its sprints. Definitely a handling concern, and various publications have lamented the damping and lack of adjustable suspension settings as being issues with the Z, so that could reflect the old platform failing to fully cope with the added weight.
The Z is definitely not tuned to be as stiff as the Supra, but is that really a limitation of the platform? I doubt the increase in weight is pushing the limits of the chassis

Kbl911

First Name
K
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2017 370Z
Occupation
Wealth Management
The Z is definitely not tuned to be as stiff as the Supra, but is that really a limitation of the platform? I doubt the increase in weight is pushing the limits of the chassis
That's possible, absolutely. Perhaps it'd be more accurate to say that, given the GT-style tuning of the Z34 and RZ34 suspension, increasing the weight has likely exaggerated any baked-in or pre-existing issues. I think the point that the various reviews wherein the handling (particularly at the limit) was bemoaned is that Nissan could have done things to mitigate this via suspension calibration and that it sticks out that they simply didn't.

Nissan could also be a little bit clearer about the purpose of the car being more aimed towards grand touring (saving track duty for other future variants), but I fear that most automotive publications wouldn't care, regardless.

trackratZ

First Name
August
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
240Z RB26DETT,Glady Rubi, Model Y LR, 987 Cayman S
Occupation
Software security
The chassis has not changed, maybe mild tuning, but we all see it's still too soft for serious work. Nissan did not spend much $$ in this area obviously. You have to go to the aftermarket for the goodies, no other way. But the aftermarket is already there granted Z34 parts will fit, which I'm hoping - coilovers, BBK, swaybars, etc.

Kbl911

First Name
K
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2017 370Z
Occupation
Wealth Management
It's been pretty clear that the car has been a GT since 1979.
You're definitely right, but I don't think that's as evident to those outside the community as it maybe should be. Nissan markets the Z as its pure distillation of "sports car" so I don't think that does it any favors when it's automatically compared against cars that may have a more hardcore mission, you know?

1659980133303.png

BurninateZ

First Name
Jamie
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
'92 MR2 Turbo, '19 508 GT, '23 Supra GT Manual
I think the point that the various reviews wherein the handling (particularly at the limit) was bemoaned is that Nissan could have done things to mitigate this via suspension calibration and that it sticks out that they simply didn't.
You're definitely right, but I don't think that's as evident to those outside the community as it maybe should be. Nissan markets the Z as its pure distillation of "sports car" so I don't think that does it any favors when it's automatically compared against cars that may have a more hardcore mission, you know?
Hmm all I've seen is a bit of weight transfer in the reviews, where have you seen commentary on the limit handling? I think Nissan have just tried to make a fun sports car for the road. I'm sure the Nismo will be more track-day oriented, but if you're really looking for a track car, imo you're going to get what you want much more economically with an older modified car.

Kbl911

First Name
K
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2017 370Z
Occupation
Wealth Management
Hmm all I've seen is a bit of weight transfer in the reviews, where have you seen commentary on the limit handling? I think Nissan have just tried to make a fun sports car for the road. I'm sure the Nismo will be more track-day oriented, but if you're really looking for a track car, imo you're going to get what you want much more economically with an older modified car.
You're right, and that's largely the point of the NISMO, but it won't stop comparisons from being unfavorable to the Z in terms of its "sports car credibility," per se. That's just seemingly how it is.

If I had it *my* way, Nissan would release a "Track" variant (which should be called "Sport" and the base called, well, "Base" or maybe "Pure" if you want to be cute) with bigger brakes, wheels, LSD, and a stiffer suspension (maybe even slightly lower than the other models) sort of like a more focused 370Z Sport. Make that a mid-tier $46k option, perhaps, and save the all out track monster setup for the full-fat ~$65k NISMO. Dodge did this with the Viper in its final generation when they released the "TA" variant, which slotted in below the all-out ACR, as an example of what I mean (no extra luxury amenities, etc).

As to the comments on handling, I've seen it mentioned several times, but Car & Driver summed it up thusly:

"Cornering grip is plentiful so long as you're not driving too close to the Z's limit. Push it hard, though, and the suspension's tuning reveals itself to be not quite up to the task. Its compliance provides good comfort when commuting, but rival sports cars offer sharper reflexes."

https://www.caranddriver.com/nissan/z

Blackbeard

First Name
Anthony
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
22 Supra
Occupation
Mechanic
the prob was 2 fold the interwebz ran like wildfire with the thought of supra killer and now the price cause if its competitor was the supra but pricing has sitting in shark tank with everything else in the price range which offers alot of choices , i understand that some people cant see anything pass Nissan the best .... but i guess for people like me i like all cars and anything fast