First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2012 Impala LTZ; '21 Nissan Rogue
Occupation
Engineer
It always seems weird to me with these trim nomenclature and what options are included.

As an example, if you call it a "Performance" trim, I would expect this is a trim with pure performance in mind. That means options with the lightest weight and the "right" configuration in mind. So a diff makes sense but putting a powered seat in a performance model is counterintuitive.
The nomenclature in the JDM market makes more sense, but then again they get to select from four trim levels.

Base: Bare bones, 18" wheels, cloth interior, open differential, etc.
Touring: Same mechanicals as the base but upgraded leather interior and other comfort goodies.
Sport: 19" wheels, limited slip diff, upgraded brakes, bare bones interior.
Sport Touring: Loaded mechanical and interior. The Performance trim here in the US.

Maybe by MY24, Nissan will go back to the the way the Z34's trims were equipped and named to minimize confusion.

LeatherWings

First Name
Jasper
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
NA & ND Miata | Xterra | Honda 919 | Honda Grom
Touring: Same mechanicals as the base but upgraded leather interior and other comfort goodies.
Sport Touring: Loaded mechanical and interior. The Performance trim here in the US.
Oh, how I wish this were the case for the 2023 Z

Andaesthetics

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2014 Nissan 370Z Sport Touring
Honestly, I wouldn't believe these weights we're seeing from this brochure. Not to mention I noticed the brochure is missing certain colors and other trim options on it. Nothing has been officially released by Nissan regarding weight. The 2020 Nissan 370Z Sport Touring trim had a curb weight of 3,439lbs. Sport Touring trim is essentially the equivalent of the Performance trim for the new Z. Even with extra safety features included in the new Z I don't see how that equates to 3536/3602lbs 6MT/7AT on the Performance trim. That's 97/163lbs extra. And to expel any ideas that the new 9AT will weigh more than the old 7AT; that is incorrect. In fact it weighs less than the outgoing 7AT it's replacing which is stated directly on Jatco's website for the new 9AT that the new Z will have:

"Magnesium is used in the transmission case and aluminum is used in the bolts around the transmission to reduce the weight, and by reviewing the overall structure to the utmost limit, it is lighter than our conventional 7-speed AT for FR vehicles. In addition, it has a short overall length and excellent mountability."
Link: https://www.jatco.co.jp/products/jr913e.html

So in regards to that statement you're telling me the added safety tech is accounting for nearly 163lbs extra? I'm not the most knowledgeble about safety tech, but this cannot be right. The underpinnings of the car are basically identical to the T of the 370Z; this has been confirmed with pictures. There's no new fancy/upgraded suspension, no new fancy/upgraded exhaust, the interior is virtually the same besides the digital dash and infotainment screen which realistically aren't going to weigh more than the outgoing 370Z; in fact these possibly weigh less than the 370Z's as well. The majority of standard options for the Performance package are the same as what was included in the Sport Touring package for the 370Z as well. So in regards to options there wouldn't be much weight added there either. So where would all this extra weight be coming from?

TL;DR
I'll wait until Nissan officially states the weight before going off a leaked brochure that is missing multiple colors and trim option details. If I'm wrong, I'm wrong or maybe I'm overlooking something here but when you look at the facts side by side I don't see where all that extra weight is coming from. Maybe someone can enlighten me.

Last edited:

memelord

First Name
Toua
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Supra
Occupation
Military
The vr30 is 100kg (220.4lbs) heavier than the vq37.

Andaesthetics

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
The vr30 is 100kg (220.4lbs) heavier than the vq37.
That's just not accurate at all. Again I don't know where people are getting these facts. The VR30DDTT weighs less than the VQ37. This is taken directly from Infiniti press release when the VR30DDTT was introduced to replace the VQ37 in 2015.

"The core structure of the 3.0-liter V6 twin-turbo engine weighs 429.5 pounds (194.8 kg) – 39.1 pounds (14.1 kg) less than the engine it replaces. The new turbocharger and advanced intercooler (or CAC) system componentry adds just an extra 56.9 pounds (25.8 kg), for 486.3 pounds (220.6 kg) total."
Link: https://usa.infinitinews.com/en-US/...the-most-advanced-v6-ever-offered-by-infiniti

There's no way in hell the VR30DDTT weighs 220lbs more than the VQ37 that's just absurd.

EDIT: Again if I'm wrong I'm wrong, but everything I see online kind of contradicts what we've heard. If anyone actually knows the weight of the VQ37VHR please share. I don't see it anywhere online.

Last edited:

memelord

First Name
Toua
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Supra
Occupation
Military
That's just not accurate at all. Again I don't know where people are getting these facts. The VR30DDTT weighs less than the VQ37. This is taken directly from Infiniti press release when the VR30DDTT was introduced to replace the VQ37 in 2015.

"The core structure of the 3.0-liter V6 twin-turbo engine weighs 429.5 pounds (194.8 kg) – 39.1 pounds (14.1 kg) less than the engine it replaces. The new turbocharger and advanced intercooler (or CAC) system componentry adds just an extra 56.9 pounds (25.8 kg), for 486.3 pounds (220.6 kg) total."
Link: https://usa.infinitinews.com/en-US/...the-most-advanced-v6-ever-offered-by-infiniti

There's no way in hell the VR30DDTT weighs 220lbs more than the VQ37 that's just absurd.

EDIT: Again if I'm wrong I'm wrong, but everything I see online kind of contradicts what we've heard. If anyone actually knows the weight of the VQ37VHR please share. I don't see it anywhere online.
it’s roughly close to 100lbs with turbos and intercooler compared to the vf. Now add in two electric waste gates, more sensors, misc other things we don’t know about. Ask Nissan, they said it.

takemorepills

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Q60

it’s roughly close to 100lbs with turbos and intercooler compared to the vf. Now add in two electric waste gates, more sensors, misc other things we don’t know about. Ask Nissan, they said it.
We did the math on this a while back. The VR is lighter than the VQ, however the supporting hardware for the FI adds a few pounds back.
Somebody will have to dig it up, but the entire VR is under 50 heavier. But.... Significantly more powerful, especially if you consider under the curve power.

Listen, a BMW is always going to be a better driving machine. If y'all want to get on here and moan about metrics, I suggest you buy the other car that is better.

If Nissan made person A happy, people B-Z would be unhappy. No making everyone happy.

ceric

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
'16 Mazda6
A BMW is fantastic to drive when it works.
Own one for more than 4 yrs... see what will happen.
Lots of issues with my '98 540iA which I owned for 9 yrs.
Towed to dealers three times.
They call it Break My Wallet (=BMW) for a reason.
No more for me.

trackratZ

First Name
August
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
240Z RB26DETT,Glady Rubi, Model Y LR, 987 Cayman S
Occupation
Software security
The nomenclature in the JDM market makes more sense, but then again they get to select from four trim levels.

Maybe by MY24, Nissan will go back to the the way the Z34's trims were equipped and named to minimize confusion.
I heard Nissan came up with just two options - Sport and Performance - for, at least the US market, initial offerings 2023 models, because of we know why by now....supply chain and quicker delivery. Would really be nice to get those Z34 tiers again, as the Sport is plenty for my use, don't need all those other creature comforts, extra electronic doodads.

takemorepills

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Q60

OK guys the maff was right in front of us the entire time.

VR30 engine is 430 pounds, which is 39 pounds lighter than the VQ.
That means VQ37 weighed 469 pounds.

Then, Nissan stated that the VR30 turbo system added an extra 57 pounds, leaving us at 487 pounds for the VR30 with the entire turbo system.

VR30(487)-VQ37(469)=18 pounds heavier for the VR30 engine assembly.

18 pounds for way more power than the VQ37. And, by "way more" I'm referring to the fact the VQ is a torqueless, high-revving NA V6 and the VR30 makes much more peak torque and power, but makes all that power more often than the VQ, and the VR has a relatively high redline for a modern turbo car. Most modern turbo cars are somewhere around 6K redline, and the VR30 has a 7K redline.

https://www.caranddriver.com/news/a...ok-at-infinitis-new-twin-turbo-3-0-liter-v-6/

memelord

First Name
Toua
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Supra
Occupation
Military

Then, Nissan stated that the VR30 turbo system added an extra 57 pounds, leaving us at 487 pounds for the VR30 with the entire turbo system.

18 pounds for way more power than the VQ37. And, by "way more" I'm referring to the fact the VQ is a torqueless, high-revving NA V6 and the VR30 makes much more peak torque and power, but makes all that power more often than the VQ, and the VR has a relatively high redline for a modern turbo car. Most modern turbo cars are somewhere around 6K redline, and the VR30 has a 7K redline.

https://www.caranddriver.com/news/a...ok-at-infinitis-new-twin-turbo-3-0-liter-v-6/
BMW is killing it with their I-6 turbo (B58 and S58). The only other 6-cyc FI engine I can think of with 7k+ redline is Lotus Evora/Emira Supercharged V6 engine. If you count Flat 6 then I guess Porsche counts as well

Andaesthetics

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Listen, a BMW is always going to be a better driving machine. If y'all want to get on here and moan about metrics, I suggest you buy the other car that is better.

If Nissan made person A happy, people B-Z would be unhappy. No making everyone happy.

Not really moaning about metrics I'm just trying to correct misguided and just plain wrong info because I constantly see false and speculative statements that are not officially confirmed, spewed around on here then it makes it's way to other social media. Prime example that "Nissan said the VR30DDTT weighs 220lbs more than the the VQ37." That just doesn't make any sense in any stretch of the imagination; if that was the case the car would weigh substantially more, upwards of +3800lbs.

But yes I suppose it is right in front of us. I just wasn't sure what exactly they meant by core structure, but if they say the total weight is 486.3lbs it would make sense core structure weight means the whole engine itself without turbo system. But you are right 18lbs is marginal when it comes to the power increase. So now I see where some additional weight would be coming from; just curious to find out what the other additional weight accounts for.

takemorepills

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Q60
Not really moaning about metrics I'm just trying to correct misguided and just plain wrong info because I constantly see false and speculative statements that are not officially confirmed, spewed around on here then it makes it's way to other social media. Prime example that "Nissan said the VR30DDTT weighs 220lbs more than the the VQ37." That just doesn't make any sense in any stretch of the imagination; if that was the case the car would weigh substantially more, upwards of +3800lbs.

But yes I suppose it is right in front of us. I just wasn't sure what exactly they meant by core structure, but if they say the total weight is 486.3lbs it would make sense core structure weight means the whole engine itself without turbo system. But you are right 18lbs is marginal when it comes to the power increase. So now I see where some additional weight would be coming from; just curious to find out what the other additional weight accounts for.
Hey I didn't mean you!

I just quoted you because you were basically correct

trackratZ

First Name
August
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
240Z RB26DETT,Glady Rubi, Model Y LR, 987 Cayman S
Occupation
Software security
Someone just had her on the scales. I'd say not bad.
Screenshot_20220812-212222.png
What's your source? No way any new Z comes in at that weight stock. I'm hopeful though.

Last edited: