First Name
August
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
240Z RB26DETT,Glady Rubi, Model Y LR, 987 Cayman S
Occupation
Software security
Curious, if that 3,252 is true curb weight, I’m hoping it’s truly the USDM full Fed regulated version. Seems too good to be true when compared to the Z34

Last edited:

ceric

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
'16 Mazda6
I think the number 1475kg was ripped from the video game. (Project Car 3)
1642408982742.png

This Japanese site, however, thinks:
(発売はいつ?レトロモダンと先進を詰め込んだ新型「フェアレディZ」の登場が待ちきれない!|@DIME アットダイム)
また、現行「フェアレディZ」の車重は、Version STの6速マニュアルで1540kg。搭載される「VQ37VHR」型は総排気量3696ccのNAエンジンで、「フェアレディZプロトタイプ」のV6 ツインターボエンジンとは異なるが、新型「フェアレディZ」でも、同等の車重が想定される。
In addition, the current "Fairlady Z" weighs 1540 kg in version ST's 6-speed manual. The VQ37VHR type is a NA engine with a total displacement of 3696 cc, which is different from the V6 twin-turbo engine of the Fairlady Z prototype, but the same vehicle weight is expected in the new Fairlady Z. (google translate)

bboypuertoroc

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2006 Evo IX, 2008 RHD Wrangler
Occupation
Mail Carrier
But let's not get too excited, it's still no BRZ or even Cayman on the scales...?
Barely heavier than the 370 with much more power and torque? That's a win in anyone's book.

DevonK

First Name
Take a guess
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
TBD
^ True, but no amount of power is going to fully compensate for the effect of the weight on the handling feel though - i'm thinking primarily of how nimble and agile the car seems. There's a reason the sports cars most feted for their sense of agility are relatively light, from the Miata through the twins to the Cayman and Elise/Exige. (Not talking objective G-forces here but the driving feel.)

bboypuertoroc

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2006 Evo IX, 2008 RHD Wrangler
Occupation
Mail Carrier
^ True, but no amount of power is going to fully compensate for the effect of the weight on the handling feel though - i'm thinking primarily of how nimble and agile the car seems. There's a reason the sports cars most feted for their sense of agility are relatively light, from the Miata through the twins to the Cayman and Elise/Exige. (Not talking objective G-forces here but the driving feel.)
GT-Rs drives WAY lighter than they actually are. There's tricks to it of course but I feel you. Light weight is light weight. Comparing apples to apples tho it's a 100% win for the Z's power/weight ratio.

Jdawg_89

First Name
Jordan
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Mazda 6, 335i
Occupation
Engineer
I disagree, the handling feel will ultimately come down to how that weight is managed... how well has the suspension been dialed in, how well does the car handle body roll and shifting momentum. There are some great platforms out there that successfully mitigate their relative higher weights, including the Alpha platform for the Camaro/ATS, Audi R8, AMG GTS. Even the new BMW M4 and Corvette, both which are considerably heavier than the their previous generation models have been lauded for the their improvements in the handling department.

DevonK

First Name
Take a guess
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
TBD
I disagree, the handling feel will ultimately come down to how that weight is managed... how well has the suspension been dialed in, how well does the car handle body roll and shifting momentum. There are some great platforms out there that successfully mitigate their relative higher weights, including the Alpha platform for the Camaro/ATS, Audi R8, AMG GTS. Even the new BMW M4 and Corvette, both which are considerably heavier than the their previous generation models have been lauded for the their improvements in the handling department.
I'd agree that the handling as objectively determined (grip, transition speed, etc) is not necessarily crippled by greater weight, but the subjective feel is just not going to be the same as a similarly well tuned car that is 500 lbs lighter. Whether that matters enough to be a negative for a buying decision is an individual call. For me I'll take some loss of that feeling of lightness in exchange for the advantages the Z offers over cars like the twins (provided of course that Nissan hasn't screwed the pooch here lol).

ZDreamer

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Subaru
The euro-executive guy said in the circa-November 2021 that it will be heavier than existing 370z but it’s not significant. My guess is 3475lbs, about 3% increase

tractng

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2019 RDX, 2016 Miata
Occupation
Systems Admin
Right on. I have had two 350z, two s2000, a Miata (2016). There isn't any comparison to the light cars.

jezzza

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Ranger Raptor
Occupation
‎‎ Engineer
Screen Shot 2022-01-18 at 6.09.38 pm.png

Interesting that the Protos on display at TAS also have the non sport grade muffler.