First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2006 Evo IX, 2008 RHD Wrangler
Occupation
Mail Carrier
Would love to see this re-run where the Z is equipped with Pilot Sports, too. Stupid S007's.
For real. The way this looks now the Supra absolutely pummeled the Z in every measurable category, down to even fuel economy. Tires would make it a much more fair fight.

Fucking Nissan and their Bridgestones.

Also... $1700 for red? Holy shit...

Last edited:

Kbl911

First Name
K
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2017 370Z
Occupation
Wealth Management
Yeah, this is a silly comparison from jump. C&D is aware that the Z comes with an automatic transmission and that it's notably quicker when so equipped. Also, we all agree that Nissan absolutely needs to elevate their factory tire game, it's embarrassing.

StrikeS30

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
78 280Z, 76 280Z, 88 300zx
I'm really surprised they knocked on the interior as badly as they did. Most, if not all other reviewers, quick drives, initial impressions have said that it is vastly improved and actually quite nice even though there is obviously some carry over switches and shit.

And taking the auto vs manual? That was a bit lazy of them. We all know the Supra is a bit quicker, and a bit more agile. But, they should have at least given the Z a fighting chance there with the Auto if they wanted to do all those straight speed runs.

I'm not going to go down the OEM tire road, as we all have come to that conclusion that the choice Nissan made is not a great out the door companion to the Z in terms of really planting that to the ground. I see how they're just doing them "as new, and it's what ya get". It's where it seems to really show it's struggle out of the box for these tests.

Evolution

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Dont ask
Occupation
Thread derailer
I am still wondering why everyone is blaming the tires on the Z for it being slower and not holding the Gs that the Supra does. Z tires = 240 treadwear. Supra tires = 280 treadwear. Typically (but not in all cases) the lower treadwear, the stickier the tire. The fact is, both cars come with terrible tires.

trackratZ

First Name
August
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
240Z RB26DETT,Glady Rubi, Model Y LR, 987 Cayman S
Occupation
Software security
I think even the manual Supra to come will still beat the Z's 4.5, my guess 4.2 or 4.3. Supra even got the Z beat in cargo area, ouch. Plus, can't go by treadwear ratings alone, those 'Stones are terrible as a performance tire, it's the compound used. Nissan should wake up and shod the Z with at least PS4S or better yet PSC2 but that won't happen until 'maybe' the Nismo.

Not an apples-to-apples comparo, all handling differences point to the tires!! I know one thing, BMW brakes have always been xlnt, can't be beat even by the Akebonos IMO.

BraveDemon

First Name
J
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
22 Toyota Supra; 19 Audi TT-RS; 15 GLA45 AMG
Yeah interesting decision to run a manual against a auto. Probably had limited availability of press cars. Also surprised at the digs at the Z’s interior but praise for the Supras… the interior of the Supra was the biggest drawback for me when purchasing since it was identical to the 2015 4 series I was trading in for it. Sure it’s good quality… but it’s a decade old parts bin mish mash.

Doesn’t matter to me though. Still want the Z and swapping out the stock tires with PS4s isn’t a big deal (planning to do the same on the Supra eventually) and let’s not get down on the numbers themselves. IMO performance is on par with the Supra and I’m sure stickier tires will help the Z.