(Hagerty) How fast is the new $50k Nissan Z? — New Z vs Supra vs Mustang Mach-1

West Aussie

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Hyundai I20
Intakes, downpipes, and a tune - and it's a different ball game. People super concerned with these numbers are going to work the car anyway.
Exactly…also manuals are dependent on the divers ability. Some of these reviewers outright stated they haven’t driven manuals in 6 months!
Now I’m not suggesting they are crap drivers, I’m sure they are all great….but manuals were always going to be slower due to shifting, and that shifting is dependent on the driver

MHockey17

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
'18 Nissan 370Z NISMO, '01 Mitsu Eclipse GT
As far as straight line speed goes, thats actually pretty decent performance from the Z. Unfortunately, there’s probably greater disparity in the on-track comparison 😔, though seems like Nissan has been marketing this as more of a GT/street sports car so it’s to be expected. I guess it leaves room for a NISMO to take on that segment later on.

It’s somewhat encouraging though that it’s really only tire selection and drivetrain tuning that prevented a 3-way tie; Though on the flipside, due to inflated Perf price point, upgrading those components puts it at the same price as the Supra 3.0 😬

Looks like the Z Sport will be the only “value buy” option...

West Aussie

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Hyundai I20
As far as straight line speed goes, thats actually pretty decent performance from the Z. Unfortunately, there’s probably greater disparity in the on-track comparison 😔, though seems like Nissan has been marketing this as more of a GT/street sports car so it’s to be expected. I guess it leaves room for a NISMO to take on that segment later on.

It’s somewhat encouraging though that it’s really only tire selection and drivetrain tuning that prevented a 3-way tie; Though on the flipside, due to inflated Perf price point, upgrading those components puts it at the same price as the Supra 3.0 😬

Looks like the Z Sport will be the only “value buy” option...
Keep in mind, this is a stock Z. what’s the bet the Supra and the Mustang were tuned and perfected with the best tires.
Thars a question that would be good to have answered because if so the comparison is not as fair as possible

West Aussie

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Hyundai I20
So it's a squirrely as the Q60 RS and not as fast as anything else offered for the money.

I hate to admit it but man, they fucked up with that price.

At least we don't have to worry about dealer mark up anymore?
It’s not as fast on stock wheels pre tuned
The drag race doesn’t mean much because the cars were tuned and have track ready tires.

A lot of the reviews said it is fast, feels fast snd much faster than the 370Z …so if you like the 370Z you should LOVE the Z

look I’m not gonna try and convince anyone else, I’m starting to feel like a Nissan sales rep ( which o most certainly am not)
But I’m excited, I must admit a lot of us Australians were shocked at our price, but now the initial shock has worn off most ( not all)of us are excited

Houston.RZ34

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
15 Q50 S (3.7) 23 Stingray HTC
Occupation
CIO
The drag race doesn’t mean much because the cars were tuned and have track ready tires.

A lot of the reviews said it is fast, feels fast snd much faster than the 370Z …so if you like the 370Z you should LOVE the Z

look I’m not gonna try and convince anyone else, I’m starting to feel like a Nissan sales rep ( which o most certainly am not)
But I’m excited, I must admit a lot of us Australians were shocked at our price, but now the initial shock has worn off most ( not all)of us are excited
I'm absolutely positively sure I would love the car, out of every car I've ever had my 370Z and my FD were my all-time favorites. I've always said "The 370Z would be perfect with just a little more power"

The problem is, for 50k there's a whole hell of a lot of other cars (new and used) that offer more.

It's just flat out not a 50k car.

White_turbo

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
None
Intakes, downpipes, and a tune - and it's a different ball game. People super concerned with these numbers are going to work the car anyway.
I don't understand the point of this argument. You can do a lot of things to a car by dumping money in it but it still doesn't change the fact that the car from factory underperforms compared to cars in the same-ish price range. There are just as many people who don't want to touch the tune and stuff as people who will dump money to the car to make it a street race hero, especially when straight line performance is literally the first thing that 99% of the people care about.

West Aussie

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Hyundai I20
I'm absolutely positively sure I would love the car, out of every car I've ever had my 370Z and my FD were my all-time favorites. I've always said "The 370Z would be perfect with just a little more power"

The problem is, for 50k there's a whole hell of a lot of other cars (new and used) that offer more.

It's just flat out not a 50k car.
Maybe it’s because you guys are not use to these prices…but I’m guess any new cars that follow will have similar hikes
When the Supra Manual finally is released it will be subject to all the issues Nissan has endured in the last year…shipping, chips, manpower, and development of that transmission
That all costs money.
Maybe the US is finally catching up to the rest of the world in terms of sales on cars …you guys yourself have said C8s have gone through the roof and there is a wait list of two years. A Supra here new will set you back 74k US, and who knows maybe their next release they will match the Aus price
I don’t know, but I said it last time…it’s a new world. Everything and I mean everything has gone up substantially in price

BurninateZ

First Name
Jamie
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
'92 MR2 Turbo, '19 508 GT, '23 Supra GT Manual
I don't think the other cars were tuned, unless I'm missing something.

That said 0.2s is not a big difference in my opinion, outside of a dragstrip. I'll happily pass up the 0.5s in the quarter to be able to shift my own gears.

Houston.RZ34

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
15 Q50 S (3.7) 23 Stingray HTC
Occupation
CIO
I just can't see spending 50 grand and losing out the box, as much as I hate to admit it the Supra is looking like a better value and it's going to be a hell of a lot cheaper to mod.

But with the Supra comes BMW reliability...... Not sure if I'm willing to go down that road again.

Nine times out of 10 I'm probably about to jump my ass back in line for a C8 or wait for the bubble to burst and car prices to go back to normal.

West Aussie

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Hyundai I20
I don't think the other cars were tuned, unless I'm missing something.

That said 0.2s is not a big difference in my opinion, outside of a dragstrip. I'll happily pass up the 0.5s in the quarter to be able to shift my own gears.
They had non stock tires for start, so why wouldn’t they be tuned if they were peoples track cars?
Dont know could be wrong…but it’s a question that should be asked before we assume the worst

BurninateZ

First Name
Jamie
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
'92 MR2 Turbo, '19 508 GT, '23 Supra GT Manual
They had non stock tires for start, so why wouldn’t they be tuned if they were peoples track cars?
Dont know could be wrong…but it’s a question that should be asked before we assume the worst
Fairly sure they've just got Michelin Pilot Sport 4S tyres from the factory. Personally I was surprised that the Z isn't equipped with the same given how good that tyre is, but I don't think its the end of the world.

TitanZ

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2019 Titan SL 4x4 Midnight Edition
Unless I'm wrong that Mach 1 has the $4.5K handling pack and the optional $1500 auto tranny instead of the 6 speed Tremec that comes standard...so that puts it at over $62K on ford's build and price. Guess they couldn't get their hands on a non-HP car with less grippy tires and the Tremec for less of a price difference...guess they didn't want the Mach to lose to the Supra.