First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Dont ask
Occupation
Thread derailer
I heard the ECU unlock originally occurred in Russia, then was moved, and there is some effort to bring the unlock to USA. However, with the EPA going Gestapo on all tuning companies, I don't think we'll be seeing these ECUs unlocked by a US company, so tuners are still going to need to do grey or black market stuff.....

Even then, everything I've seen about Nissan so far indicates that the entire company could fail, so it's an interesting bet.....which endeavor fails first?
Fetmo, the originally Russian based company can do cloned ecus but they do not have an unlock for locked ecus. You have to find an older unlocked ecu for them to clone your oem tune to. Then you can tune. On average, it's a $4-5k ordeal to be able to start tuning. What I am looking for is someone state side to be able to plug in to a locked ecu and tune it without a clone.

So ya, whoever fails first. Both sides seem to have nothing good going for them right now.

kutaba

First Name
Kutaba
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Z Proto - pathfinder
Occupation
Creative
Sharing my thoughts on the Z. I have the proto spec, it has only 800 miles on it and still havenā€™t floored it yet waiting to finish the braking in. But its crazy fast, responsive and has a lot of power. Handling is good but need to take it to the twisty roads to get a full fell of its true handling but having said that I thing it will not disappoint even with the current tires.

I can tell you that its a great car with great room for improvements depending what you are in to. Of the bat it needs a louder exhaust, better rubber. You can upgrade the hell out if it. But if you keep it stock and just enjoy the day to day drive It doesnā€™t disappoint.

Nissan did drop the ball on the rollout big time and I totally understand the frustration I was frustrated as well and almost jumped ship. But am happy that I didnā€™t.

all in all the car is a very nimble and a head turner for sure.

Leo

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Sharing my thoughts on the Z. I have the proto spec, it has only 800 miles on it and still havenā€™t floored it yet waiting to finish the braking in. But its crazy fast, responsive and has a lot of power. Handling is good but need to take it to the twisty roads to get a full fell of its true handling but having said that I thing it will not disappoint even with the current tires.

I can tell you that its a great car with great room for improvements depending what you are in to. Of the bat it needs a louder exhaust, better rubber. You can upgrade the hell out if it. But if you keep it stock and just enjoy the day to day drive It doesnā€™t disappoint.

Nissan did drop the ball on the rollout big time and I totally understand the frustration I was frustrated as well and almost jumped ship. But am happy that I didnā€™t.

all in all the car is a very nimble and a head turner for sure.
Until a C7 Corvette or a 3.0 GR Supra rolls up, then the Z won't seem all that "crazy fast" and good handling anymore.

West Aussie

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Hyundai I20
Until a C7 Corvette or a 3.0 GR Supra rolls up, then the Z won't seem all that "crazy fast" and good handling anymore.
Iā€™d love a corvetteā€¦here in Aus they sell for 200kā€¦sadly not an option , not for me at least

OP
OP
takemorepills

takemorepills

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Q60
How would it matter if one of those cars "rolls up"? You gonna street race?

I mean, if we're gonna go there, most Teslas will smack all 3 of those cars hard off the line. And you're way more likely to "roll up" on a Tesla. I see more Teslas than Corollas nowadays....

kraftmatic

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2023 BMW M240i xDrive
Occupation
IT Manager
How would it matter if one of those cars "rolls up"? You gonna street race?

I mean, if we're gonna go there, most Teslas will smack all 3 of those cars hard off the line. And you're way more likely to "roll up" on a Tesla. I see more Teslas than Corollas nowadays....
Especially in Seattle! I swear every Microsoft/Amazon guy is driving a Tesla here. I almost joined them, but its like driving a computer on wheels. Its quite nice, but there's no feel to it for me. I cannot wait to get this new Z, so I feel your pain my friend. And yeah any Tesla will smack the new Z off the line, but thats not why we want one of these. Its about the overall experience and how this car feels like its a big Miata but more fun. At least for me. I vote you hold of a little bit longer!

OP
OP
takemorepills

takemorepills

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Q60
Especially in Seattle! I swear every Microsoft/Amazon guy is driving a Tesla here. I almost joined them, but its like driving a computer on wheels. Its quite nice, but there's no feel to it for me. I cannot wait to get this new Z, so I feel your pain my friend. And yeah any Tesla will smack the new Z off the line, but thats not why we want one of these. Its about the overall experience and how this car feels like its a big Miata but more fun. At least for me. I vote you hold of a little bit longer!
I live and work in the Mukilteo/Everett area, I'm surprised by how many Rivian trucks I'm seeing, exactly 3 more than I've seen of the new Z.

And those will do some off the line smack down too....

kraftmatic

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2023 BMW M240i xDrive
Occupation
IT Manager
I live and work in the Mukilteo/Everett area, I'm surprised by how many Rivian trucks I'm seeing, exactly 3 more than I've seen of the new Z.

And those will do some off the line smack down too....
I'm over in Redmond, which should probably have its name changed to Microsoftville. I think there's at least 1 Rivian in my neighborhood, and its like the Model 3 is standard issue for everyone else. Then there's me, driving my 03 Acrua until the wheels fall off. lol.

Last edited:

Houston.RZ34

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
15 Q50 S (3.7) 23 Stingray HTC
Occupation
CIO
Nissan fumbled the ball with pricing, I bet if it was 35-40k MSRP base folks wouldn't mind the wait.

SD_MK

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Atacama Yellow Toyota Z4 M40i Premium GTS
Occupation
Full Time Rubber Band Elasticity Tester
Damn that's crazy.... crazy to the point where i know local dealerships selling the GR Corollas already on the floor while the Z has yet to hit floors officially, not little by little from what i've seen...