First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2006 Evo IX, 2008 RHD Wrangler
Occupation
Mail Carrier
I've been living with an Evo for 16 years... I can deal with some road noise. It's all part of the experience. It's a damn Nissan, not a Rolls.

Drseckzytime

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Stuff
Not sure on the high horse stuff here. And the "guess you'll finally mod a car" talk. I would 100% modify the exhaust. I have on all my prior cars, many having "off-road use only" stamps right on them. If I can get a Z, it will have a TBE on it as soon as something good comes out for it from AWE, ETS, Tomei, etc.

Artificial sound will be disabled day 1 if I could, just like I did in the past. Feng not needed, sound cancellation, not needed.

But what is wrong again over the concern hearing the cars from the outside, not just in cabin, and noting the difference. Why can't we be a little disappointed if we are paying for a "sport muffler" in the performance trim, but only the automatic benefits from it? You think Nissan is going to refund us that difference, or just take our money and give us nothing in return?

I get it, you really love Nissan, you really love the Z, but that doesn't mean we can't express concerns.

FBD

First Name
FBD
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
90 300ZX 93 300ZX Roadster 14 370Z StillenRoadster
Seriously agree on all points. Weight reduction please. And hell yeah we can be a little disappointed in the sport exhaust when the auto sounds better? I’ll put an aftermarket on like I did last time but give me the discount…

Houston.RZ34

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
15 Q50 S (3.7) 23 Stingray HTC
Occupation
CIO
So looking at the vid again this morning.......7:18 - 7:22 in the vid is the most crucial bit IMO.

The shift tap happens at the top of 7:20 but the gear shifts in the middle of 7:21 - just watch his dramatic one finger shift and listen to the motor......gear doesn't even change until well after his finger is off the paddle. With a DCT that gear change would be done before the paddle goes back to neutral.

Yeah, It's faster than the 7spd but it's no ZF8, the ZF8 is the only Auto that can even come close to a DCT.

It looks like this'll be like GM's 8 Speed, it'll upshift DCT quick only when you floor it but manual intervention will be a little slower.

I'll still take a stick.

Last edited:

TaroBaapG35

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
18' Audi S4, '22 M3 LR
Occupation
Finance Professional
So looking at the vid again this morning.......7:18 - 7:22 in the vid is the most crucial bit IMO.

The shift tap happens at the top of 7:20 but the gear shifts in the middle of 7:21 - just watch his dramatic one finger shift and listen to the motor......gear doesn't even change until well after his finger is off the paddle. With a DCT that gear change would be done before the paddle goes back to neutral.

Yeah, It's faster than the 7spd but it's no ZF8, the ZF8 is the only Auto that can even come close to a DCT.

It looks like this'll be like GM's 8 Speed, it'll upshift DCT quick only when you floor it but manual intervention will be a little slower.

I'll still take a stick.
So, the ZF8's are tuned very very differently across the Manufacturers. I'll second your mention that the ZF8 Is amazing, BUT, on a BMW (Supra, X3M, M5) the shifts are very very quick, even with the drive mode left in "comfort".

My S4 suffers from the shift up delay when throttle actuation isn't enough to warrant the quick shift. When I'm even in 20% boost with better throttle actuation the shifts are very snappy. Once the ZF is tuned/optimized (gets to Supra shift speed) its a whole different story. The shifts are 95% @ DCT levels. The transmission cuts power at times for longevity in stock form. Tune increases TQ Limit and shift speed (Look at 034Motorsport B9 S4 Tune details)

If JDM aftermarket follows EDM aftermarket mainly on the Transmission side, then this delay in shift can be reduced.
100% 6mt All the way so we're to blame for slow shifting lol not the car

Houston.RZ34

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
15 Q50 S (3.7) 23 Stingray HTC
Occupation
CIO
So, the ZF8's are tuned very very differently across the Manufacturers. I'll second your mention that the ZF8 Is amazing, BUT, on a BMW (Supra, X3M, M5) the shifts are very very quick, even with the drive mode left in "comfort".

My S4 suffers from the shift up delay when throttle actuation isn't enough to warrant the quick shift. When I'm even in 20% boost with better throttle actuation the shifts are very snappy. Once the ZF is tuned/optimized (gets to Supra shift speed) its a whole different story. The shifts are 95% @ DCT levels. The transmission cuts power at times for longevity in stock form. Tune increases TQ Limit and shift speed (Look at 034Motorsport B9 S4 Tune details)

If JDM aftermarket follows EDM aftermarket mainly on the Transmission side, then this delay in shift can be reduced.
100% 6mt All the way so we're to blame for slow shifting lol not the car
I've driven the ZF8 on a few cars.....tuning is everything

Top Tier (You sure this isn't a DCT?): Mk V Supra, Jaguar F-Type (BOTH IN SPORT MODE)
Mid Tier (We sure this is a ZF8?): BMW X6M, BMW M240i
Low Tier (Damn.....that's a ZF8?): Dodge Products.....Challenger and Charger from Lil' Hemis to Kittycats

Mk V Supra made me a believer in the ZF8