Does the Z really need to be lighter?

BluntForce

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
WRX
The GT-R does just fine being heavier than its competitors by overcoming physics with technology.

I wonder if 1) Nissan has the R&D and platform investments made to do serious lightweighting to their sports cars and 2) if it is even necessary?

Would anyone really complain if it got some GT-R wizardy and weighed 3700+ pounds while still being a great performer?

J_Watts

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Toyota 86
You bring up a good point. Everyone's always screaming for lighter lighter cars just by habit. No doubt the Z35 would be a better performer the lighter it is but the 370z always weighs as light as 3,278 pounds. With today's safety equipment standards you're not going to drop below 3,000 pounds easily. 3,200 pounds is already a great weight if it's engineered properly. The new M3 and M4 weigh 3,500 pounds and all the reviewers say it feels light on its feet and has endless grip. That's the result of proper chassis and suspension engineering.

So I agree, if a car gets the proper engineering it could feel great and perform great no matter how heavy.

626m3

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
E46 M3
You bring up a good point. Everyone's always screaming for lighter lighter cars just by habit. No doubt the Z35 would be a better performer the lighter it is but the 370z always weighs as light as 3,278 pounds. With today's safety equipment standards you're not going to drop below 3,000 pounds easily. 3,200 pounds is already a great weight if it's engineered properly. The new M3 and M4 weigh 3,500 pounds and all the reviewers say it feels light on its feet and has endless grip. That's the result of proper chassis and suspension engineering.

So I agree, if a car gets the proper engineering it could feel great and perform great no matter how heavy.
3200 pounds is excellent nowadays anyways. If the car does shrink a bit then it'll be even lighter than that. I think it's mostly online bench racers who really care about weight so fanatically. Always calling for carbon fiber this and carbon fiber that. My E46 M3 weighs 3,400 pounds and nobody ever complains it doesn't handle well or is too heavy.

MRichter

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
bmw 325i
3200 pounds is excellent nowadays anyways. If the car does shrink a bit then it'll be even lighter than that. I think it's mostly online bench racers who really care about weight so fanatically. Always calling for carbon fiber this and carbon fiber that. My E46 M3 weighs 3,400 pounds and nobody ever complains it doesn't handle well or is too heavy.
Might be true when looking at cars made from traditional materials and using traditional construction, but the next generation of cars is beginning to see more widespread use of carbon fiber mixed into the construction. With CAFE requirements getting tougher and tougher in the next few years companies are trying to find ways to improve efficiency other than just more efficient engines... so saving weight is the next big frontier.

SPOHN

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
350,G35,G37,370
Occupation
Lineman
I agree with you guys. Especially the comment about bench racers. You have to look at what manufacturers are faced with when it comes to safety. But it's great where it's at. Especially with a little tweaking with some aftermarket parts and some simple weight removal yourself.

I've done a decent amount of tracking and to see a professional driver drive the same car ten seconds faster. Until the day I can over drive my car and put down those times theres nothing else that could be said.

Angelo

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Z34 l E39 l F30
The Z35 doesn't need to weigh significantly less than the 370Z; it just needs more power (over 400 would be nice) with superior brake and suspension components to be considered a step in the right direction.

SPOHN

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
350,G35,G37,370
Occupation
Lineman
I agree so much about the brakes. The brake bias was so awful. Had to much rear bias. I used to track my Z and it was really great for awhile using a AP six piston caliber and Carbotech pads. But in the long run I started experiencing ice mode like many other track guys. Either you know or heard about this but it was a serious issue. Most likely in the programming.

But the Z needs bigger brakes and a little better suspension. I'm sure it will keep the same Akebono as the Q did. By not redesigning the brakes I keeps cost the same. Which again will keep the overall cost of th cat down. But for me I know beyond a doubt I will upgrade both anyways.

Last edited:

ToTheMax

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2003 350Z
The Z35 doesn't need to weigh significantly less than the 370Z; it just needs more power (over 400 would be nice) with superior brake and suspension components to be considered a step in the right direction.
Truth. The new mustang gt350 and camaro are both very heavy cars but a combination of superior brakes, tires and suspension make for some pretty impressive track times. It's really all the new tech and safety requirements every car gets nowadays. Let's hope the Z doesn't go full digital and come standard with a bunch of crap we can't order it without.

626m3

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
E46 M3
Like I said way back above, 3200 is already a dream weight by today's standards. What I'm afraid of is them adding more weight to it because of new technology, different engine, or because car grows in size.

Just don't add any more weight, but add more power, better brakes, even faster transmission, and the press will praise it just because of its weight alone.

SPOHN

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
350,G35,G37,370
Occupation
Lineman
Like I said way back above, 3200 is already a dream weight by today's standards. What I'm afraid of is them adding more weight to it because of new technology, different engine, or because car grows in size.

Just don't add any more weight, but add more power, better brakes, even faster transmission, and the press will praise it just because of its weight alone.
From what I read days ago considering it's going to be the same motor as the Q. The VR30DDTT because of the reduced displacement and the integrated manifold the weight will be the same. I'll find the article again and post it later. But saying it's the same and posting actual weight could be a different story. But that's just for motor sake.
I've also read that Nissan was trying some weight saving for the floor boards on a lot of their other models.

Seong

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2016 CBR600
From what I read days ago considering it's going to be the same motor as the Q. The VR30DDTT because of the reduced displacement and the integrated manifold the weight will be the same. I'll find the article again and post it later. But saying it's the same and posting actual weight could be a different story. But that's just for motor sake.
I've also read that Nissan was trying some weight saving for the floor boards on a lot of their other models.
Floor boards huh. Haven't really heard of those being a common target area for weight savings, but saving weight these days requires creative thinking!

Fast and Furious had this weight saving method figured out years ago though (I kid :)).

nAaBReB.gif