Does anyone actually want an automatic?

Ckynus

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2023 Z
Occupation
Film
I was doing my monthly "will I ever get this car" check in at the dealership, and they stressed to me that it's kind of a crap shoot what trim/colors they get allocated. While I understand and am cool will having to perhaps compromise on color I am in no way interested in the automatic transmission.

Much of the appeal of this car for me is the stick. The dealership was trying to soften me up to the idea of getting an auto but I am just not into it. In my opinion, it doesn't fit the car.

Let's say it's 50/50 with the transmission production who is getting the automatic?

LZ23

First Name
Larry
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
350z
I was doing my monthly "will I ever get this car" check in at the dealership, and they stressed to me that it's kind of a crap shoot what trim/colors they get allocated. While I understand and am cool will having to perhaps compromise on color I am in no way interested in the automatic transmission.

Much of the appeal of this car for me is the stick. The dealership was trying to soften me up to the idea of getting an auto but I am just not into it. In my opinion, it doesn't fit the car.

Let's say it's 50/50 with the transmission production who is getting the automatic?
Why don't you look at the reservation list, it shows just over 23% but i think it will be closer to 40%.

Denver the Last Dinosaur

First Name
Denver
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
cardboard box
At the very least, a manual is the better choice for protection from it being stolen because most criminals don't know how to drive a "stick-shift". :)
(That may be more of an urban legend than reality though - there's no real data to prove it either way.)

Personally, I'd never ever ever buy an automatic in any car (in a "sports car" it's even sillier), unless forced to by medical reasons meaning I can't push a clutch pedal. The problem of course is that electric cars don't have gears, so at some future stage if forced to buy a new car you'll have no choice because there simply won't be any manual new cars to buy. :(

OP
OP
Ckynus

Ckynus

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2023 Z
Occupation
Film
The problem of course is that electric cars don't have gears, so at some future stage if forced to buy a new car you'll have no choice because there simply won't be any manual new cars to buy. :(
You are not going to drive that car at all. They will be fully automated driverless vehicles. I really have a bit of nostalgia leading me to this car. Manual transmission, manual e-break, and gasoline are getting hard to find.

indio22

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
'72 Rover S3, '85 CJ7, '98 TJ, '14 BRZ, '23 Bronco
I've had both auto and manual vehicles. Each has had pluses/minuses.

Coming from the off-road world, generally speaking I've found auto better. Basically infinite low speed control crawling up and over rocks. With the downside being heat (I always install aftermarket trans coolers).

On the road, cars with auto trans sometimes have a lower ratio final drive, providing better high speed cruising at lower rpms, especially if you like to drive 90mph or whatever in places that allow for that.

I would go manual on the Z, but have had fun in either config over the years.

takemorepills

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Q60
You are not going to drive that car at all. They will be fully automated driverless vehicles. I really have a bit of nostalgia leading me to this car. Manual transmission, manual e-break, and gasoline are getting hard to find.
Did your auto-correct misspell brakes?

I'm 75% team 6MT, because it'll be the last of it's kind. And, typically, Nissan MT handles fairly big power upgrades pretty well, you just gotta address the clutch.

However, the 9AT absolutely smokes the 6MT, so I can't rule out being impatient and buying the first Z that meets my other criteria.

For me, the color is more important than the transmission, I really want blue/blue, so if a 9AT blue/blue became available without mark-up, I'd probably get it. I'd prefer that enough Z's could be made that I could impulse buy a 6MT blue/blue with no mark-up.

Denver the Last Dinosaur

First Name
Denver
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
cardboard box
I was thinking a little nearer in the future when all new cars are forced to be electric only by government legislation (somewhere between 2030 and 2050, depending on where you live).

Driverless / autonomous cars are a sci-fi pipe dream far far in the future, and none of us will still be alive to see them (unless the perfect the immortality pill).

Denton

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2023 Toyota Supra
I was thinking a little nearer in the future when all new cars are forced to be electric only by government legislation (somewhere between 2030 and 2050, depending on where you live).

Driverless / autonomous cars are a sci-fi pipe dream far far in the future, and none of us will still be alive to see them (unless the perfect the immortality pill).
They better spin up some nuke plants or else the grid will melt. ;)

Go2ZZZ

First Name
Murdock
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Infiniti Q50, 2023 Nissan Z Preformance
Auto for sure. Like someone else said, it’s night and day difference quarter mile times.

BurninateZ

First Name
Jamie
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
'92 MR2 Turbo, '19 508 GT, '23 Supra GT Manual

Manual only for me. I'm buying what I want, not what the dealer wants to sell me. I'd sooner buy a different car than compromise on the choice of transmission.

LZ23

First Name
Larry
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
350z
Manual only for me. I'm buying what I want, not what the dealer wants to sell me. I'd sooner buy a different car than compromise on the choice of transmission.
The auto does have a few advantages, it's 0-60 time is faster,the exhaust sounds alot better,it has sport mode,it gets quite a bit better gas mileage.

BurninateZ

First Name
Jamie
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
'92 MR2 Turbo, '19 508 GT, '23 Supra GT Manual
The auto does have a few advantages, it's 0-60 time is faster,the exhaust sounds alot better,it has sport mode,it gets quite a bit better gas mileage.
It does, but an auto in a sports car is a no go for me. I'm fine with them for cruising and commuting, but I want the predictability and control of a manual in a sports car. I'd just be buying something that would frustrate me.

Ziggy

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Abarth 124
Manual only. No point in the auto in 2022. If you aren’t going to religiously, slowly row your gears out of holy reverence, buy an EV. Otherwise get slaughtered in your auto sports car by a model 3 on autopilot for lack of faith.