Break-in period

SavedByFaith_

First Name
Stephen
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2024 Z Nismo
Either way, it's going to be tough not to have a little fun, especially in our short driving seasons in Canada. I'll try to get as many miles as I can on it when I get it (weather permitting) But, doing intakes/exhaust and such is going to make it even harder to keep restraint haha.

I'll more than likely drive it kind of normally, but being mindful of not to really give'r. Oil change I will probably have done after the first 1-1500k, then again around the 2500-3k mark. Then onto probably once per driving season depending on milage during the season

Honestly, it's why I'm happy with how my situation turned out.

Basically, buying the car outside my home province here in Canada which I'll then drive back home in early April which will be like 1500kms!

Breaking her in with just a few days of driving.
Get her back, oil change, get my full DPs and catback installed and let her rip for all of summer :)

LZ23

First Name
Larry
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
350z

Basically, buying the car outside my home province here in Canada which I'll then drive back home in early April which will be like 1500kms!

Get her back, oil change, get my full DPs and catback installed and let her rip for all of summer :)
My dealer told me that doing intakes and exhaust will void the warranty unless it is a Nissan approved product.

SavedByFaith_

First Name
Stephen
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2024 Z Nismo
My dealer told me that doing intakes and exhaust will void the warranty unless it is a Nissan approved product.
I'm well aware...
Willing to take the risk and run with it. If something catastrophic happens, recall, lemon type situation

Just rip em off and put back stock / oem.

takemorepills

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Q60
My break-in procedure.....
Don't short trip it. Run it long enough to warm up all parts fully to chase out moisture. That could mean run it at least 15-20 minutes depending on weather.

Don't race it. It won't necessarily hurt it, but no need to chance it. Modern engines are basically already fully in tolerance from the factory, but it's your money, do as you see fit (personally that one at the dealership with over 300 miles, I'd be uncomfortable with, not knowing what's been going on with it)

Early first oil change is a good idea.

No need to focus on rpms per someone's advice. The rpms get plenty of variety if you're driving around normally. Especially with the automatic. That's a myth about "this many rpms for this many miles" again, just not racing it would be enough.

Better yet, read your manual and ignore all of the random, varying advice from the internet.

Georges1

First Name
George
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
1972 Datsun 240Z
Occupation
Safety Engineer
i think it is better to be safe even though some owners will let it fly from the start. I have always taken it a little easy on any vehicles I have purchased, including hard braking (unless some idiot pulls out in front of you). We recently purchased a new Jeep Grand Cherokee Summit and I could tell a difference in the engine, gas mileage, and brakes around 2,000 miles. I purchased a Challenger Hellcat in 2016. That one was very difficult not to give it hell right off the bat. Seems like 2,000 is the sweet spot for me because the Hellcat engine seemed to “loosen up” at that mileage I then commenced to make up for lost time. I plan to break in my Z when I get one using the 2,000 mile philosophy. Each to his own & good luck to everyone.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Maximus

Maximus

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2023 Nissan Z
Well so far I’ve been keeping it around 3,000 on the tach with an occasional 3,500 out of first and second….but not being aggressive. But it’s taking all of me to not mash the pedal to the floor!

Go2ZZZ

First Name
Murdock
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Infiniti Q50, 2023 Nissan Z Preformance

Thought of getting an enclosure delivery? I did that within Ontario but far away. I got a company I used. Amazing work and fair prices

SavedByFaith_

First Name
Stephen
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2024 Z Nismo
Thought of getting an enclosure delivery? I did that within Ontario but far away. I got a company I used. Amazing work and fair prices
I thought about it. Got some quotes and when I compared the costs: it was better for me to drive her home.

Mini vacation for the wife and I, plus easy break-in!!

Go2ZZZ

First Name
Murdock
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Infiniti Q50, 2023 Nissan Z Preformance
Yes, for sure if you change Downpipes. Full Downpipes is the best for performance but very expensive in labour. So, if you need to remove them for warranty purposes, it’s easier to go with lower Downpipes during warranty time. Or just avoid them. Cat back exhaust you may get away with it.

Brock

First Name
Brock
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Nissan 370z
I just picked up my Z the other night and was wondering what, if any, is the break-in period before Jk can really start to drive the car a little harder. Don’t mind the bow in the hood….lol
Thanks,
Chris
4A0AB96B-6FA4-41B8-BD9A-E837D0EB2AEB.jpeg
My Z is in transit, and expected to arrive in about 4 weeks. As I’m about to receive my car, I’ve been talking to anyone with knowledge on breaking in a Nissan Z. What I’ve been told, is that 14K is the break-in point, and that common sense is the main thing. Varying the RPM’s, and the occasional momentary high rev’s. And most importantly, is to change the oil after the first 2K miles! Basically, sustained high rev’s are a no! no!

OP
OP
Maximus

Maximus

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2023 Nissan Z
My Z is in transit, and expected to arrive in about 4 weeks. As I’m about to receive my car, I’ve been talking to anyone with knowledge on breaking in a Nissan Z. What I’ve been told, is that 14K is the break-in point, and that common sense is the main thing. Varying the RPM’s, and the occasional momentary high rev’s. And most importantly, is to change the oil after the first 2K miles! Basically, sustained high rev’s are a no! no!
14k to break it in? Scroll up to see somebody’s post and it’s saying 1,200 miles….