BMW recalls Supra (again)... Why didn't you by the Supra instead of the Z?

Which one are you getting?

• Total voters

Zboy

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Z32

2JZ-No-Sh*t

First Name
Blake
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
My feet
So getting back on topic. Why didn't I get a Supra? I don't want to add 4 quarts of oil every two thousand miles lol.

https://www.supramkv.com/threads/car-excessively-burning-oil.8084/
OMG, so this issue has been known for about 8 months now and still no recall or service bulletin issued by BMW/Toyota. I have a feeling that Toyota is waiting for as many people to tune their cars and or to surpass the 36k coverage and when this issue does arises they have a reason to deny any responsibility by claiming people had tampered with their cars thus voiding all warranty claims.

These engines are not cheap to replace. It cost about $25k to replace them according to those that had it done. The poll over there shows about half of 2021 owners are showing consumption issues. This year alone they sold 5,389 models with the B58D, and that's not including the early batches from mid to late 2020.

Lin626

First Name
Linda
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
MB
I'm a little surprised that the car news sites and youtubers haven't covered this. All jabs aside, I really hope Toyota takes care of all those Supra owners with oil burning issues. It would be dick move if they tried and weaseled their way out of this one.

Trackaholic

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2016 GT350, 2003 350Z (sold after 200,000 miles)
The Supra’s looks don’t work for me. Wasn’t a fan of the concept either, but the actual car looks a bit goofy to me.

The lack of a manual transmission is a deal killer.

It does sound like the Supra’s suspension is tuned better than the Z4, but I’m not a fan of BMW interiors, and the Supra obviously carries that over.

The Z has an elegance to the styling that I like, and is a Nissan, and hopefully captures the feeling of fun that the Z has had.

I do think the Supra will be the faster, better handling car, but I still prefer the Z.

-T

H2O_Doc

First Name
Doc
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
M240i, Supra MkV, 370Z 6MT
Occupation
Friggin’ Scientist
The Supra’s looks don’t work for me. Wasn’t a fan of the concept either, but the actual car looks a bit goofy to me.

The lack of a manual transmission is a deal killer.

It does sound like the Supra’s suspension is tuned better than the Z4, but I’m not a fan of BMW interiors, and the Supra obviously carries that over.

The Z has an elegance to the styling that I like, and is a Nissan, and hopefully captures the feeling of fun that the Z has had.

I do think the Supra will be the faster, better handling car, but I still prefer the Z.

-T
I think Nissan really got the dash and infotainment center right: certainly much better than my Supra. And I was stunned by how little the HUD does in the Supra: really, no tach???? Another stunning thing: the two subwoofers that do next to nothing other than take up space. Im really surprised people don’t say more about those audio-turds. I guess somebody had to re-employ displaced fisher-price engineers.

I like the interior of my 370 fine and I think the New Z will also be fine. Im just not that picky about the interior which strikes me strange as I write this, but perhaps that’s a good thing. Sure leather wears better than cloth, but I’ve never been a fan of ass sweat (at least not a fan of my own).

Vilithrax

First Name
Mason
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
C8
The R35 really has fake vents? o_O
Nissan put the fake vents nice and big, straight up front for all to see on their flagship car.

never seen anyone mention it on here.. I’m guessing either the majority of you don’t realize how popular fake vents are (audi r8, dodge demon, nsx, Shelby gt 500, etc etc) OR people just throw that info under the rug

EF307B97-94A5-4401-8272-ECDDD503CF26.jpeg

2JZ-No-Sh*t

First Name
Blake
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
My feet
Nissan put the fake vents nice and big, straight up front for all to see on their flagship car.

never seen anyone mention it on here.. I’m guessing either the majority of you don’t realize how popular fake vents are (audi r8, dodge demon, nsx, Shelby gt 500, etc etc) OR people just throw that info under the rug

EF307B97-94A5-4401-8272-ECDDD503CF26.jpeg
No one is denying there are other cars with fake vents, but it's the execution that makes or breaks the design. I can look past the ones on the bumpers and hood of the J29 as that is a common area for fake vents on a lot of cars. However, the ones on the door are a huge eye sore. It looks cheesy AF... It's like Toyota just stuck on a boomerang on the door and called it a day.

602ac410018f936fa?width=1000&format=jpeg&auto=webp.jpg

Lvckv69

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
'16 911
While there is a lot of internet dislike for the looks of the Supra, the in-person real world response is so overwhelming positive that it’s sometimes problematic.

I’ll be first in line to order the new Z, but my Supra gets way more complements than my 370Z and I sometimes get tired of having to chat with people about the A90.
D41918DA-DA6E-4EA0-BCE8-2093B03120D8.jpeg
Thats because your Z is stock and has nothing interesting to show. My Z was one of the best looking Z's in FL and had the most attention than any car on the road, C7s, Supras, M3's, Evos, etc. I remember there were 2 nice Supras at the meet and people were more interested in my Z than their cars.

Z_Dude

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
s2000, Xterra Pro-4x
^ I've spotted a few A90s + 1 at some meets now, and some people will check them out and move on as if it was a car that has been out for years. It doesn't have the hype the MKIV has or what many thought this car would be. Similar to the last gen NSX vs the current one.

Really hoping the new Z doesn't have that vibe and is looked at as the best Z out because it backs it up in looks and performance.

takemorepills

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Q60
^ I've spotted a few A90s + 1 at some meets now, and some people will check them out and move on as if it was a car that has been out for years. It doesn't have the hype the MKIV has or what many thought this car would be. Similar to the last gen NSX vs the current one.

Really hoping the new Z doesn't have that vibe and is looked at as the best Z out because it backs it up in looks and performance.
I personally don't know of many examples of a bastard car gaining a cult following. Dodge had a few "good" bastard cars with Mitsubishi, the Stealth, Colt Turbo, Conquest. The issue for those cars are that the OG car didn't do well over time, so the bastard car didn't either.

My main hangup with the Supra is that it is 100% BMW. It is very easy to go online and find plenty of videos bashing on older turbo BMWs, and by older, I mean 10 years old. Every generation of BMW is claimed to be "finally reliable" as has definitely been claimed by Toyota's involvement with the Supra development. However, I have been around long enough to have heard several prior generations of BMW as being "finally reliable" when they are new, but, alas I can find plenty of videos on how 10 years later, they are just like every BMW before.
I challenge anyone to find as many videos about older Lexus RC or IS being unreliable as similar vintage BMWs.

I still can't fathom why Toyota didn't just take the RC coupe platform, shorten, lighten and slightly revise it and then drop in their 3.5TT V6? They'd have a competent, 2-seat car of their own they could proudly call "Supra".
I absolutely hate when people say "oh, but Toyota wanted to keep true to their I6 Supra heritage" WTF? By letting BMW build the entire car? As a Z car enthusiast, we've already been through the I6 to V6 conversion, it wasn't all that bad.

ec15

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
A few
I was ecstatic when they announced the return of the Supra. Eventhough I knew it was going to be a BMW collaboration, I was willing to look past it if Toyota really got involved. Then the leaks came out. With every leak that came out, the more I was questioning the looks. I took to photoshop to see it before it was officially revealed.

https://www.supramkv.com/threads/th...-modeled-from-the-leaked-parts-diagrams.1406/

Although the car does look better in person, something is still off. The proportions after trying to squeeze an FT-1 onto a Z4 really doesn't work. The roof is too tall with the exaggerated double bubble. The c-pillars flow into the quarter panels as well as a wall flowing into the floor. The hood is also too tall making it look almost as thick as the quarter panels. Its like building a lego car with basic blocks. Here is the angle that best shows what I'm talking about.

20210905_204719.jpg

I am a Toyota fan but their most exciting products these days are their trucks and one of them is 12 years old. It seems like Toyota designers are getting lazy. Either they design every car around the height of a grille (Lexus) or they over use one design element. Look at the body line from the doors into the quarter panels. Minivans and sports car sharing body lines?

20210905_105233.jpg

20210905_105201.png
20210905_105130.jpg

Last edited:

Lin626

First Name
Linda
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
MB
I am a Toyota fan but their most exciting products these days are their trucks and one of them is 12 years old. It seems like Toyota designers are getting lazy. Either they design every car around the height of a grille (Lexus) or they over use one design element. Look at the body line from the doors into the quarter panels. Minivans and sports car sharing body lines?

20210905_105233.jpg

20210905_105201.png

20210905_105130.jpg
It's sad that a crossover and a mini van pulls that swoop design off better.

2JZ-No-Sh*t

First Name
Blake
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
My feet
It's sad that a crossover and a mini van pulls that swoop design off better.
I think we all know the answer to why that is. The designers were forced to incorporate the styling cues from the FT1 over a Z4 chassis. I will say I think the Supra would have looked a lot better and cleaner if the doors had looked like the Highlander and Sienna.