BMW recalls Supra (again)... Why didn't you by the Supra instead of the Z?

Which one are you getting?

• Total voters

Haste

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
'23 Civic Type R, '09 335i, '23 Kona N
I was ecstatic when they announced the return of the Supra. Eventhough I knew it was going to be a BMW collaboration, I was willing to look past it if Toyota really got involved. Then the leaks came out. With every leak that came out, the more I was questioning the looks. I took to photoshop to see it before it was officially revealed.

https://www.supramkv.com/threads/th...-modeled-from-the-leaked-parts-diagrams.1406/

Although the car does look better in person, something is still off. The proportions after trying to squeeze an FT-1 onto a Z4 really doesn't work. The roof is too tall with the exaggerated double bubble. The c-pillars flow into the quarter panels as well as a wall flowing into the floor. The hood is also too tall making it look almost as thick as the quarter panels. Its like building a lego car with basic blocks. Here is the angle that best shows what I'm talking about.

20210905_204719.jpg

I am a Toyota fan but their most exciting products these days are their trucks and one of them is 12 years old. It seems like Toyota designers are getting lazy. Either they design every car around the height of a grille (Lexus) or they over use one design element. Look at the body line from the doors into the quarter panels. Minivans and sports car sharing body lines?

20210905_105233.jpg

20210905_105201.png
20210905_105130.jpg
I saw one of these on the way home from St. Simons yesterday, and while the "boomerang" is not exactly the same and it doesn't flow into the rear quarter, it did immediately remind me of your post/the A90. I never would have thought that seeing a Buick would be able to make me think of any Supra ? Maybe I just never noticed how common this design element has become.

1631226789083.png

2JZ-No-Sh*t

First Name
Blake
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
My feet
Iā€™ve had mine for almost 2 years and never had an issue. The 2021s seem to have more problems than the 2020s. Funny thing is there isnā€™t a solution currently available for this recall aside from donā€™t do what causes the problem.
Are you on the Supramkv forum? Just wondering if we crossed paths before.

jdm-rhd

First Name
rob
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
95 hardtop supra, 93 widebody rx7, 93 stockish rx7
Occupation
videogame tester/skater
why is the brittle plastic parts still an issue? my z4 was a 2005...it's almost 2023, has bmw learned anything in all that time?

my 2005 tacoma x-runner w/ almost 250k miles. only 2 problems i've had was the starter and alternator and both happened after 220k

Yasha

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Pending 2023 Z
Occupation
Software Engineer
It's sad that a crossover and a mini van pulls that swoop design off better.
The highlander actually looks sick. Then again, it's placed next to the Supra so that's not much of a competition.

Loco38SUP

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 GR Supra
Occupation
Engineer
This thread is entertaining. šŸ˜†šŸæ

The brake recall is only for the dopes that donā€™t know how to start their cars. Plus its a simple firmware update at the dealershipā€¦no biggie

The broken plastic was caused by someone that ripped off their cover in haste and tweaked the mounting post.

Iā€™m sure our lovely Zā€™s will also have 1st year problems and recalls.

-RJM

Raven1

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2007 350z HR Motor
Occupation
503rd Lead Farmer
This thread is entertaining. šŸ˜†šŸæ

The brake recall is only for the dopes that donā€™t know how to start their cars. Plus its a simple firmware update at the dealershipā€¦no biggie

The broken plastic was caused by someone that ripped off their cover in haste and tweaked the mounting post.

Iā€™m sure our lovely Zā€™s will also have 1st year problems and recalls.

-RJM
Tru That !!

Here's to hoping the 1st year issues on the Z don't include any major issues and are all minor issues like with the Supra . . .

takemorepills

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Q60
Tru That !!

Here's to hoping the 1st year issues on the Z don't include any major issues and are all minor issues like with the Supra . . .
I think the Infiniti already suffered all of the original "new model" growing pains. I don't see enough difference on the Z to see any concerning, Z unique issues appear. Maybe the LSD is unique? I know it's not the same one used previously, is it pilfered from a different Nissan, or all new?

I mean, in a car with a mechanical handbrake, meaning a fairly simple architecture, what could go wrong? Infotainment? Driving aids that most of us will turn off?

Raven1

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2007 350z HR Motor
Occupation
503rd Lead Farmer
I think the Infiniti already suffered all of the original "new model" growing pains. I don't see enough difference on the Z to see any concerning, Z unique issues appear. Maybe the LSD is unique? I know it's not the same one used previously, is it pilfered from a different Nissan, or all new?

I mean, in a car with a mechanical handbrake, meaning a fairly simple architecture, what could go wrong? Infotainment? Driving aids that most of us will turn off?
This 100% !

I'm betting the 1st year issues will be mostly minor annoyances, Poor Us with Our 1st World Problems !!!

takemorepills

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Q60
This 100% !

I'm betting the 1st year issues will be mostly minor annoyances, Poor Us with Our 1st World Problems !!!
I gotta add....
Maybe the 9AT will have "issues" fucking Nissan can't seem to program their ATs correctly any more. Their last good AT was the 5AT. I have the 7AT in my Q60, and I've heard Titan owners say the new 9AT is basically as bad as the 7AT was.