• Manual

• Automatic

Results are only viewable after voting.

ec15

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
A few
Nissan has continuously developed the six-speed tranny in past Zs, and there's no reason to think they won't continue that practice with the VR30DDTT. But don't count on an entirely different design or feel than the current Z34 tranny. It remains one of the best manual trannys on the market.
Hopefully this time around, they will not use a CSC.

Stevewithaz

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Car(s)
1990 Nissan 300zxTT, 2015 370Z Nismo
Occupation
Marketing Content Creator
Well, I intend to drag race the car so probably an auto to start to see where the limitations are. Once the nismo comes along I will probably move back tot he manual. My sons Nismo is a stick as is my Z32.

OverSpun

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Audi

jdm-rhd

First Name
rob
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
95 hardtop supra, 93 widebody rx7, 93 stockish rx7
Occupation
videogame tester/skater
for you guys who have never driven a auto..
a cheech and chong movie explained it best.
while trying to steal a car. cheech gets confused.

cheech says, ah man its automatic...i dont know how to drive one.

chong responds: i think "d" means forward and "r" means backwards...

jdm-rhd

First Name
rob
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
95 hardtop supra, 93 widebody rx7, 93 stockish rx7
Occupation
videogame tester/skater
Why even buy an auto? EVs are faster than both. At least if you buy the manual you can say you practice an ancient religion.
its really strange to me now how todays kids dont know how to drive stick...maybe im just too old.
if your talking cars some of them they think the paddle shiffers make it a manual :confused::rolleyes:

"yeah man, i was shiftin them paddles on my forza game..."

"whats a clutch?"

"3 pedals? oh you mean that one on the far left you can rest your foot on during long drives!"

Ziggy

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Abarth 124
its really strange to me now how todays kids dont know how to drive stick...maybe im just too old.
What really gets me is that Volkswagen commercial where the mom says “my kids won’t know a world before electric.” Makes me feel sad every time. Like they just put down my favorite dog. Haha

Last edited:
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2018 Audi TT RS
Getting the auto this time. Didn't care for the clutch action in the 370Z; total crap compared to Porsche, Honda/Acura and Mazda. Add the CSC issue that doesn't seem to have been addressed, and it's a no-brainer for me.

The DCT in my Audi is fantastic. Paddle shifting is as engaging as a stick shift to me.

Fully understand others wanting the manual; glad there are choices.

That being said, I have to laugh at the "only REAL sportscars have manuals" crowd. Let's get technical here.

REAL sportscars don't have:
  • power steering;
  • power brakes:
  • power windows (hell, they don't have roll-up windows!);
  • a top;
  • rev matching;
  • entertainment systems; or even
  • air conditioning.
That's a pretty comprehensive list of features that are pretty much standard on most cars. It seems ridiculous to have a car without them.

The manual transmission will be gone soon, as will all transmissions eventually with the move to EV's. Nothing wrong with making choices, let's just be happy there are choices, and respect the choices of others.

Last edited:

BobDigi5060

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
10r80 5.0, G37X, C4 LT1
Depends on if the CSC issue has been addressed. It's my understanding the transmission has to be dropped in order to fix it when it messes up and I could imagine if that happened outta warranty It's something that would cost a decent amount of money. I'm undecided and would have to do my research on that and the 9 speed.

The JATCO in my 66k G37 is holding up, but sometimes in regular drive mode the rpms seem a little weird going from 2nd to 3rd. But, in DS or manual mode I don't experience this and apparently the builder at level 10 recommends always driving in DS for longevity (wish I had discovered this advice sooner than I did).

The 10r80 in the one to get when it comes to Mustangs. It's quicker than the manual and can hold 700whp, but will eventually go. The mt82 5.0 I drove a while back felt like shit and people we're having shift fork issues on low mileage cars so it seemed like a no brainer when I was choosing mine. So far it's been problem free, but in my experience the a10 has to be operating at 170+ degrees in order to be driven properly in manual mode. In manual mode it is a riot. Throttle response is through the roof and it's so much fun. The 5.0 is a lot of fun as it is, but it's fastest in sport mode when you let the car shift for you. But, cruising around with the paddle shifters is a lot of fun.

So I'm conflicted and will decide based upon hopefully a test drive and what first year owners experience. It's funny because if I choose the gr86 over the new Z it will certainly be manual, but with either car I want the transmission that will produce better acceleration. Believe it or not the 10r80 in my Mustang is quite the experience. I just want the best acceleration times possible. If the difference is negligible between the two in the new Z the decision will be a difficult one.