Anyone seen these hood risers & know how to get them down. Spun the Z on wet roads and caught back wheel on curb. These popped the hood open - can’t open or close hood

MCN1SMO

First Name
Matt (MC)
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
24 Z NISMO & #1 GTR NISMO
ok so ive got my first ever autocross in the Z tomorrow and me being the paranoid person I am. Im a little apprehensive about brushing a cone possibly popping the hood. seems unlikely but the manual is worded like its hyper senstitive.

ive read you can pull fuse 13 to disable it ( and your airbags) my question is does anyone know if anything needs to reset at the dealer or anything after putting the fuse back in or is it as simple as pull the fuse. do your runs and stick it back in. If its just that I will do it to be extra precautious but I dont want it putting the car in any type of limp mode or throwing a code that wont go away..

anyone got some insight on this for me before tomorrow?

takemorepills

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Q60
ok so ive got my first ever autocross in the Z tomorrow and me being the paranoid person I am. Im a little apprehensive about brushing a cone possibly popping the hood. seems unlikely but the manual is worded like its hyper senstitive.

ive read you can pull fuse 13 to disable it ( and your airbags) my question is does anyone know if anything needs to reset at the dealer or anything after putting the fuse back in or is it as simple as pull the fuse. do your runs and stick it back in. If its just that I will do it to be extra precautious but I dont want it putting the car in any type of limp mode or throwing a code that wont go away..

anyone got some insight on this for me before tomorrow?
Recently I removed the front seats in my Q60 to clean up after a water leak. Because I powered the car on with the seats (and their associated sensor and airbag) removed, the SRS light stayed on even after I reconnected everything.
Fortunately, there's a convoluted process to reset it without a CONSULT tool, but I would suspect the same to happen to the Z. Remember, new cars are made in such a way to deter DIY. Maybe there's a similar process for the Z, or, maybe they removed it.

Last edited:

MCN1SMO

First Name
Matt (MC)
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Recently I removed the front seats in my Q60 to clean up after a water leak. Because I powered the car on with the seats (and their associated sensor and airbag) removed, the SRS light stayed on even after I reconnected everything.
Fortunately, there's a convoluted process to reset it without a CONSULT tool, but I would suspect the same to happen to the Z. Remember, new cars are made in such a way to deter DIY. Maybe there's a similar process for the Z, or, maybe they removed it.

thats what im afraid of dont want to go through anything like that. I guess my best bet is just dont hit a cone. I usually avoid them even in the bigger GTR but am not wanting to be the first person to test it out just incase

Last edited:

takemorepills

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Q60
thats what im afraid of dont want to go through anything like that. I guess my best bet is just dont hit a cone. I usually avoid them even in the bigger GTR but am not wanting to be the first person to test it out just incase
I think your very wise to realize how sensitive the pedestrian impact sensors are. I was surprised to see that they're attached to the bumper cover skin..... Wouldn't be surprised that a cone could set them off.

Ugh, it reminds me of some recent incidents we had.... My wife hit a mattress on the freeway in her new car, and I ran over a suitcase on the freeway. Both incidents didn't cause any noticeable damage, but they would've set off the hood poppers if those cars had them.....

MCN1SMO

First Name
Matt (MC)
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
I think your very wise to realize how sensitive the pedestrian impact sensors are. I was surprised to see that they're attached to the bumper cover skin..... Wouldn't be surprised that a cone could set them off.

Ugh, it reminds me of some recent incidents we had.... My wife hit a mattress on the freeway in her new car, and I ran over a suitcase on the freeway. Both incidents didn't cause any noticeable damage, but they would've set off the hood poppers if those cars had them.....

maybe not as they are only active 12 to 37mph so at freeway speeds you might have been ok.

I dont want to find out about a cone but you would think since its hollow with no real weight to it it would hardly count as any sort of impact

takemorepills

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Q60
maybe not as they are only active 12 to 37mph so at freeway speeds you might have been ok.

I dont want to find out about a cone but you would think since its hollow with no real weight to it it would hardly count as any sort of impact
My money's on a cone can trip it.

MCN1SMO

First Name
Matt (MC)
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
I hope you know they deduct points for that...
Yeah ive only been autocrossing for 20 years 🤣 but now I can accidentally hit one and not have a sickening feeling in my stomach that it might have just cost me thousands of $ because of these stupid ass hood poppers.
I'm also running time only tomorrow and not in a class while I figure the Z out so I don't care about penalties lol

the whole idea of it is stupid. I could ruin my car at any time and have to worry about a squirrel running out in front of me the rest of my life so some old ladys hip at the crosswalk will get a little less hurt......makes sense

Last edited:

jdm-rhd

First Name
rob
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
95 hardtop supra, 93 widebody rx7, 93 stockish rx7
Occupation
videogame tester/skater
pull fuse and possibly cause light to stay on or activate those expensive hood popper...id chose the lesser of the two evils..