Anyone seen these hood risers & know how to get them down. Spun the Z on wet roads and caught back wheel on curb. These popped the hood open - can’t open or close hood

OP
OP
Marshall58of240

Marshall58of240

First Name
Fred
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2023 Nissan Proto Spec A/T
Occupation
Business Owner
@Marshall58of240 hate to see this happened to you. are you running the factory tires? those seem to spin out on dry roads, probably worse in wet conditions.

meantion to the dealer that nearly every review on the Z the tires said be an issue. maybe the dealership can help you out.
No help from Dealer - I will be contacting Nissan tech group after we get her back on the road

OP
OP
Marshall58of240

Marshall58of240

First Name
Fred
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Occupation
Business Owner
To OP, if the front end was not hit, then, it could be a warranty repair.... you can argue that.
That's Donalex's point, I believe.

The video said, it was "rebuilt"... the parts they used.
I'm keeping fall of parts to see if manufacture can rebuild

StrikeS30

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
78 280Z, 76 280Z, 88 300zx
There are some companies that can probably rebuild them. Maybe the same guys that do air bags/seat belt restorations after an accident?

I was just reading that some people have had these go off hitting things on the road, or small animals lol or just randomly fail and pop up

OP
OP
Marshall58of240

Marshall58of240

First Name
Fred
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Occupation
Business Owner
There are some companies that can probably rebuild them. Maybe the same guys that do air bags/seat belt restorations after an accident?

I was just reading that some people have had these go off hitting things on the road, or small animals lol or just randomly fail and pop up
I have the name of manufacture - will reach out to them and share info

OP
OP
Marshall58of240

Marshall58of240

First Name
Fred
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Occupation
Business Owner
where? on the front fenders? or the hood?
in-between hood and window is small panel - two 1/2 " long scratches from under side of hood I'm guessing. No touch up paint available yet through parts - but I will probably take it in to get that section repainted. It's small scratch but deep

takemorepills

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Q60
Can you turn the car into insurance?

I'm wondering if the car can be inspected for any signs of collision damage by a professional party, and since it sounds like your car has no signs of collision, I'd say it's totally on Nissan to square up with you. Just wondering if getting your insurance company involved would be helpful.

It seems to me, besides $2600 in parts and whatever for labor, now there's possibly scratched parts, like the hinge assembly and any painted bolts that need to be wrenched on.

I'm surprised the new Z has this system. If people would just stay on the sidewalk.....

OP
OP
Marshall58of240

Marshall58of240

First Name
Fred
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Occupation
Business Owner
Can you turn the car into insurance?

I'm wondering if the car can be inspected for any signs of collision damage by a professional party, and since it sounds like your car has no signs of collision, I'd say it's totally on Nissan to square up with you. Just wondering if getting your insurance company involved would be helpful.

It seems to me, besides $2600 in parts and whatever for labor, now there's possibly scratched parts, like the hinge assembly and any painted bolts that need to be wrenched on.

I'm surprised the new Z has this system. If people would just stay on the sidewalk.....
its frustrating - I have already bought parts - did not really want to make a claim on insurance with no body or under carriage damage - I think the thing to do is to go straight to Nissan with the info and see if they will go anything. This will not be the only time this comes up. I'm just unfortunately the first!

Donalex

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
1995 Nissan 300ZX
Maybe you can take them out, and then have a machine shop cut the shaft down to the base?

Of course, if you hit a pedestrian and they they go flying onto the hood and their lawyer gets wind of your modification...well, then, better get out the checkbook.

takemorepills

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Q60
its frustrating - I have already bought parts - did not really want to make a claim on insurance with no body or under carriage damage - I think the thing to do is to go straight to Nissan with the info and see if they will go anything. This will not be the only time this comes up. I'm just unfortunately the first!
I hear ya, and insurance advice varies depending on where you live, but.... Generally you can ask if they'll at least look into it for you. It's not usually an automatic claim, but they have professionals who can evaluate, and possibly state, that they found no physical damage that would lead to deployment.

It's ridiculous to think a system can blow off without physical damage. I would agree, if they found a smacked frame, bent control arms, blown shocks.....yeah deny warranty. But, it sounds like your car is completely undamaged....

West Aussie

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Hyundai I20
I hear ya, and insurance advice varies depending on where you live, but.... Generally you can ask if they'll at least look into it for you. It's not usually an automatic claim, but they have professionals who can evaluate, and possibly state, that they found no physical damage that would lead to deployment.

It's ridiculous to think a system can blow off without physical damage. I would agree, if they found a smacked frame, bent control arms, blown shocks.....yeah deny warranty. But, it sounds like your car is completely undamaged....
Agree and the insurance company is not gonna cover it if there is no signs of an actual accident as they will see it as a car fault not an accident claim.
I can see this going between Nissan and Insurance with neither taking responsibility for it …Nissan writing it in their manuals is a get of jail card, but it shouldn’t be. I can’t believe they even wrote it can happen just by driving over railway tracks …that’s unbelievable as it’s a frequent occurrence for many, as are speed bumps which are daily occurrence especially with mist shopping centres having them.
If we have to go at 2km everywhere just ensure this won’t happen, the car is pointless and useless

takemorepills

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Q60
Agree and the insurance company is not gonna cover it if there is no signs of an actual accident as they will see it as a car fault not an accident claim.
I can see this going between Nissan and Insurance with neither taking responsibility for it …Nissan writing it in their manuals is a get of jail card, but it shouldn’t be. I can’t believe they even wrote it can happen just by driving over railway tracks …that’s unbelievable as it’s a frequent occurrence for many, as are speed bumps which are daily occurrence especially with mist shopping centres having them.
If we have to go at 2km everywhere just ensure this won’t happen, the car is pointless and useless
I can see lowered Z's having a problem with the system

jdm-rhd

First Name
rob
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
95 hardtop supra, 93 widebody rx7, 93 stockish rx7
Occupation
videogame tester/skater
No help from Dealer - I will be contacting Nissan tech group after we get her back on the road
oh great, just another reason not to purchase the Z...

jdm-rhd

First Name
rob
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
95 hardtop supra, 93 widebody rx7, 93 stockish rx7
Occupation
videogame tester/skater
Just unplug the actuators. Tune the light off the dashboard. If you hit someone, plug em in real quick and kick the bumper 😂 and dont forget to remove nissan badge from the pedestrians butt crack...
fixed