Any reviews of 2023 Nissan Z with stock Bridgestones replaced by better tires?

HokieZcar

First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2022 BMW X3, 2017 Ford F-150
Occupation
Automotive Manufacturing Engineer
As much as everyone who has driven and reviewed the new Z has said the stock Bridgestones suck, why haven't we yet to have a review of someone swapping them out for Michelin Pilot Super Sports... or anything else!?!? I can't find anything on the web or YouTube.

takemorepills

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Q60
There was a Supra vs Z comparison where the Z had the same tires as the Supra, I'm sure someone will link to it soon....

Anyways, Z still got stomped.

It's not just the tires. It's also the ancient FM platform holding the Z back. Chassis dynamics are equally as important as tires, you can't just slap amazing tires on a crappy chassis and expect winning results.

The FM chassis looks good, independent suspension, cast aluminum parts, but all of the engineering math is over 20 years old, and the BMW chassis is fresh.

BurninateZ

First Name
Jamie
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
'92 MR2 Turbo, '19 508 GT, '23 Supra GT Manual
As much as everyone who has driven and reviewed the new Z has said the stock Bridgestones suck, why haven't we yet to have a review of someone swapping them out for Michelin Pilot Super Sports... or anything else!?!? I can't find anything on the web or YouTube.
Aside from the SavageGeese track comparison, not really. I think the Z is only materially in the hands of reviewers and youtubers at the moment, so bone stock or loaded up with AMS gear it seems. I would expect that type of info to start filtering out once owners have had it for a while.

cainen

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
FiestaST, TX3 Turbo, Tiguan R-Line, Proto Z
It's had other things done too though, not just tires. Note this guy seems to hate the new Z.

SavedByFaith_

First Name
Stephen
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2024 Z Nismo
If priority is lap times, new tyres will help.
I'll be on the Bridgies for a while yet - they go fine for street driving. They are slippery*ish, but that kinda makes them fun.
I'm shocked.... really shows where reviewers and these "car journalist" have their priorities (damn lap times and straight line speed... they forget the intrinsic nature of a "sports car" and most of all.... having FUN)

The BS Potenza S007 are a solid 8.5/10 for eveything outside of tracking.

Been having tons of fun with the Tires these past two weekends.
Can easily slide the tail out (even with TC on, obvs will be a slight tail out, but from a safety perspective this is great when driving local / narrow roads). Get a little tire squeal and rubber marks on the roads easily too.

Only downside I can think of is: takes a bit to get the tires warm to really lay it down with "minimal / reasonable" tire spin. Other then that, these tires are actually nice!

I wouldn't knock em til you try em!

Beard

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Car(s)
'22 Proto Z
Occupation
IT
If priority is lap times, new tyres will help.
I'll be on the Bridgies for a while yet - they go fine for street driving. They are slippery*ish, but that kinda makes them fun.
I agree, have driven for almost three weeks on stock wheels. They are fun.

Proto Z

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Audi SQ7
I'm shocked.... really shows where reviewers and these "car journalist" have their priorities (damn lap times and straight line speed... they forget the intrinsic nature of a "sports car" and most of all.... having FUN)

The BS Potenza S007 are a solid 8.5/10 for eveything outside of tracking.

Been having tons of fun with the Tires these past two weekends.
Can easily slide the tail out (even with TC on, obvs will be a slight tail out, but from a safety perspective this is great when driving local / narrow roads). Get a little tire squeal and rubber marks on the roads easily too.

Only downside I can think of is: takes a bit to get the tires warm to really lay it down with "minimal / reasonable" tire spin. Other then that, these tires are actually nice!

I wouldn't knock em til you try em!
Agree with all of that... Except...
1. I have to do a steep hill start on my way to work every day. Without fail I leave rubber. If it's raining... I take an alternate route. It simply doesn't grip.
2. My actual biggest gripe with the stock rubber is that the breaking point for the grip comes at a rather unexpected time. When I've driven on pilot sports I can feel the limit approaching. The grip gives out gradually and linear.
The bridgies just let go whenever they want. Maybe a heat issue like you say, but that isn't ideal for a daily driver.

SavedByFaith_

First Name
Stephen
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2024 Z Nismo
Agree with all of that... Except...
1. I have to do a steep hill start on my way to work every day. Without fail I leave rubber. If it's raining... I take an alternate route. It simply doesn't grip.
2. My actual biggest gripe with the stock rubber is that the breaking point for the grip comes at a rather unexpected time. When I've driven on pilot sports I can feel the limit approaching. The grip gives out gradually and linear.
The bridgies just let go whenever they want. Maybe a heat issue like you say, but that isn't ideal for a daily driver.
Hmm I can understand your first point.

Definitely get that sense for your second point as well. I find they do give out more abruptly wehn cold.

I find once the tires are warm and after some light pulle, they lose grip on initial torque but hook up well quickly after.

Proto Z

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Audi SQ7
Hmm I can understand your first point.

Definitely get that sense for your second point as well. I find they do give out more abruptly wehn cold.

I find once the tires are warm and after some light pulle, they lose grip on initial torque but hook up well quickly after.
You don't reckon that is just TC kicking in though?
It limits a lot of power...

SavedByFaith_

First Name
Stephen
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2024 Z Nismo
You don't reckon that is just TC kicking in though?
It limits a lot of power...
TC surely helps, moreso on bad roads (uneven, potholes, cracks, not the best tarmac... etc)

I found when I was doing some testing in nice dry roads, could feel the LSD doing it's work to balance the power down.