Almost got my Z...

TheRoyalStig

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
??
Well... I was/am close.

Was talking to a dealer about a Blue/Blue M/T Performance they had on the way.

They emailed me when it arrived. Worked out a deal that day. Was trying to avoid being excited until it was delivered but after 17 months... that was hard.

And then the bad news. Called me that night to tell me after they unwrapped it it had these weird ripples in the clearcoat across the whole car so the need to make a claim with Nissan. Now to wait for a replacement... dammit.

IMG_20231116_093613.jpg
IMG_20231116_093603.jpg

StrikeS30

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
78 280Z, 76 280Z, 88 300zx
Oh no :( That's not cool at all. I'm so sorry. I wonder what had happened. I've seen people have issues with the wrap leaving some nasty residue, but never wrinkling up the paint. I'm sure the dealership should be able to do some cross-networking to try and find you a replacement. It could be months before they get another allocation of that specific build.. possibly never.

MCN1SMO

First Name
Matt (MC)
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
24 Z NISMO & #1 GTR NISMO
seems like it couldnt have made it out of quality control at the plant like that so im wondering what could have caused that in transit. thats a weird one I havent seen any other reports about.

OP
OP

TheRoyalStig

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
??
Yea its an odd one.

Even more odd is they told me today they heard from Nissan that this is a "known issue" and they are advising on the next steps?

We'll see what comes of it!

MCN1SMO

First Name
Matt (MC)
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
24 Z NISMO & #1 GTR NISMO
I found an older Nissan technical service bulletin that talks about moisture can get under the shipping protective tape and cause the paint to stain or swell. the TSB isnt just for the Z but it comes up when you select "Z" doesnt sound exact to whats goin on here but the closest I found

StrikeS30

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
78 280Z, 76 280Z, 88 300zx
I wonder if they get some form of credit from Nissan for a "damaged" car. They could still sell it to you at a very deep discounted price if they get credit for the unit. I'd be tempted to hit it with a wet sand/cut and polish and see how deep the markings go. That's just me though, I wouldn't consider buying it brand new if you have to mess with the paint. Only if it was offered to me at like half price or something. I also worked years in autobody and paint, so stuff like that doesn't scare me. But, I wouldn't consider it if there's not some sort of very good deal

FL 4Motion

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2024 RZ34 Nismo, 2019 JLUR, 2023 Audi Q3
Yea its an odd one.

Even more odd is they told me today they heard from Nissan that this is a "known issue" and they are advising on the next steps?

We'll see what comes of it!
I’m a big believer in the “everything happens for a reason” thing. It’s definitely frustrating but hopefully something better will come out of this.

Georges1

First Name
George
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
1972 Datsun 240Z
Occupation
Safety Engineer
I thought those types of things just happened to me LOL. That's tough, but at least they did not try to shine it up and sell it to you. I agree that the car should never have gotten out of quality control. Hang in there. I see blue M/T's pop up so you will get yours.

OP
OP

TheRoyalStig

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
??
I thought those types of things just happened to me LOL. That's tough, but at least they did not try to shine it up and sell it to you. I agree that the car should never have gotten out of quality control. Hang in there. I see blue M/T's pop up so you will get yours.
Yea honestly so far the dealership has handled everything very well. So I certainly can't complain about any of that.

Last edited:

AlanZ

First Name
Alan
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2023 Performance 6MT Black Diamond/Graphite
Occupation
Civil Servant
Just curious, would you buy it for a substantially lower price? Say, 40K?

OP
OP

TheRoyalStig

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
??
Just curious, would you buy it for a substantially lower price? Say, 40K?
Well just got some new updates.

They had Nissan reps come out who actually spent all day buffing and working at it as mentioned above.

And they are throwing in a 7 year paint and interior warranty(which also covers rock chips and anything little) to assuage any concerns about future issues.

So it seems like this may still work out!

Mr&Mrs

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
RZ34
I had this happen on a a brand new RC300F a few months ago. Lexus was giving me the run around about fixing it. Hopefully Nissan treats you better.

AlanZ

First Name
Alan
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Occupation
Civil Servant
Well just got some new updates.

They had Nissan reps come out who actually spent all day buffing and working at it as mentioned above.

And they are throwing in a 7 year paint and interior warranty(which also covers rock chips and anything little) to assuage any concerns about future issues.

So it seems like this may still work out!
Keep us posted! Curious as to what deal you guys agree to

Jughead

First Name
Willie
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
rogue, wrangler
Occupation
Sales Management
I wonder if they get some form of credit from Nissan for a "damaged" car. They could still sell it to you at a very deep discounted price if they get credit for the unit. I'd be tempted to hit it with a wet sand/cut and polish and see how deep the markings go. That's just me though, I wouldn't consider buying it brand new if you have to mess with the paint. Only if it was offered to me at like half price or something. I also worked years in autobody and paint, so stuff like that doesn't scare me. But, I wouldn't consider it if there's not some sort of very good deal
Nissan doesn't give credit on cars. They either fix it or replace it. The dealer could on their own, discount it. But Nissan would offer nothing. Seems that dealer did what I would have. Had Nissan inspectors come out and fix the issue. From the pictures, it was only on the hood, so another easy fix would be to just have Nissan send a replacement hood already painted. I've done that before, also.

AlanZ

First Name
Alan
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Occupation
Civil Servant
Any updates?