First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
CIVIC
Occupation
IT
Now add on 10k markups to your 45k car plus tax tag and title and a dealer fee. The car market is so beyond screwed right now.

LeatherWings

First Name
Jasper
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
NA & ND Miata | Xterra | Honda 919 | Honda Grom
Now add on 10k markups to your 45k car plus tax tag and title and a dealer fee. The car market is so beyond screwed right now.
Ughhhhh. If there's anywhere close to $10k in markups, I'm just not gonna buy one. In fact, on principle alone, I may only be willing to pay MSRP plus delivery fee, registration, and tax. If that means I don't get a new-off-the-lot Z this year (or ever), then so be it.

Last year I had put a deposit down on the 2022 Honda Grom, which MSRPs at $3,400. The dealer tried to charge me over $5k out the door. Complete and utter lunacy. I said EFF THAT so I went and found a used 2015 Grom with low mileage for $2,300. Had to drive 3 hrs round trip to get it, but I got it!

Inked20211028_163143_LI.jpg

timszee

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
CIVIC
Occupation
IT
I keep mentioning it, but the Type R has been the king in absurd markups pre COVID. Since then every dealership is charging whatever they want for inventory and it's unacceptable. They will literally say anything to justify this. I understand that if you are the one dealership that is charging MSRP while your competition is charging 2-3k more for a corolla then you just lose money. The saddest part is that people are still buying vehicles without caring about this and only looking at that monthly payment. It's only going to settle down when inventory catches up and they are forced to lower their prices to move stock. Also there are content creators that WILL pay these crazy markups without batting an eye and continue this. (mainly on sport cars) Wait for the Corolla GR to come out, I'm willing to bet they will all be sold within the week of coming out for 15-20k over MSRP, same for the Proto Spec Z. Just makes me wish I didn't like cars... :'(

300ZTT

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2018 Civic Hatchback
I keep mentioning it, but the Type R has been the king in absurd markups pre COVID. Since then every dealership is charging whatever they want for inventory and it's unacceptable. They will literally say anything to justify this. I understand that if you are the one dealership that is charging MSRP while your competition is charging 2-3k more for a corolla then you just lose money. The saddest part is that people are still buying vehicles without caring about this and only looking at that monthly payment. It's only going to settle down when inventory catches up and they are forced to lower their prices to move stock. Also there are content creators that WILL pay these crazy markups without batting an eye and continue this. (mainly on sport cars) Wait for the Corolla GR to come out, I'm willing to bet they will all be sold within the week of coming out for 15-20k over MSRP, same for the Proto Spec Z. Just makes me wish I didn't like cars... :'(
Agree on the Type R. Was in the market to buy one when they came out, but I don't believe in paying mark ups. I figured the mark ups will eventually go away once the hype has died down and more of them are on the road. 5 years later the mark ups for the Type R are still strong as ever. I've given up on the Type R, but I see the new Z falling under the same curse. Hopefully Nissan can make a shit ton of these, so some of us can get a deal.

timszee

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
CIVIC
Occupation
IT
Agree on the Type R. Was in the market to buy one when they came out, but I don't believe in paying mark ups. I figured the mark ups will eventually go away once the hype has died down and more of them are on the road. 5 years later the mark ups for the Type R are still strong as ever. I've given up on the Type R, but I see the new Z falling under the same curse. Hopefully Nissan can make a shit ton of these, so some of us can get a deal.
The thing I hate most was when a dealership would tell me the Type R was a limited edition car and that's why they had to charge more. Here we are now north of 40k Type Rs being made, I'm guessing the yellow Type R would be a limited limited edition... Just hoping manufacturers step in but I'm not going to hold my breath..

timszee

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
CIVIC
Occupation
IT
Fortunately, I was able to haggle my Supra down to 52k, with MSRP of 57k.
I'm REALLY hoping the car market starts to settle down, this year looks somewhat promising..

But that's good to hear!

memelord

First Name
Toua
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Supra
Occupation
Military
301E768F-94EA-4872-8391-8F86A38C8E1C.jpeg

stay strong guys!

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2016 Challenger Scat Pack, 1996 Rx-7
The thing I hate most was when a dealership would tell me the Type R was a limited edition car and that's why they had to charge more. Here we are now north of 40k Type Rs being made, I'm guessing the yellow Type R would be a limited limited edition... Just hoping manufacturers step in but I'm not going to hold my breath..
Yeah, I looked at one in a showroom a couple of months ago. When I saw the $10K ADM sticker I just laughed at the saleslady, gave her my card and told her to call when they were serious enough about selling it to start at MSRP. Three weeks later she called to say that they had gotten another one, and they had "lowered" the ADM to $7,500 each. Right. I made some comment about it being such an exclusive car that they had two that they couldn't sell, and told her to call me back when they were willing to go $1,000 below MSRP. Nothing since.

The same basic thing is happening with a Mach 1 and GT500 near my house. I told the salesman that I would discuss either car at MSRP, and he said he couldn't do it. That was in October; both cars are still in their showroom.

memelord

First Name
Toua
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Supra
Occupation
Military
The same basic thing is happening with a Mach 1 and GT500 near my house. I told the salesman that I would discuss either car at MSRP, and he said he couldn't do it. That was in October; both cars are still in their showroom.
You should pop in there and say “it’s still there. How much money are you losing a month on that?”

Last edited:

therumblewagon

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
CX-5, Elantra N
Yeah, I looked at one in a showroom a couple of months ago. When I saw the $10K ADM sticker I just laughed at the saleslady, gave her my card and told her to call when they were serious enough about selling it to start at MSRP. Three weeks later she called to say that they had gotten another one, and they had "lowered" the ADM to $7,500 each. Right. I made some comment about it being such an exclusive car that they had two that they couldn't sell, and told her to call me back when they were willing to go $1,000 below MSRP. Nothing since.

Ran into something similar when I, out of curiosity, swung by a VW dealership to look at the new GTI a month or so ago. Thing was marked up 8k, I asked and the half-baked logic was that "it was the only one they had, not sure when more were coming, so if they sold it they wouldn't have anything to get potential customers interested."

After that, went to a Ford dealership across the street and they had both a Mach 1 and GT500 marked up 25k. I think the GT may have even been 30k. My jaw hit the floor. Didn't even bother asking them for justification.

LeatherWings

First Name
Jasper
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
NA & ND Miata | Xterra | Honda 919 | Honda Grom
Thing was marked up 8k, I asked and the half-baked logic was that "it was the only one they had, not sure when more were coming, so if they sold it they wouldn't have anything to get potential customers interested."
tina-fey-eye-roll.gif

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2016 Challenger Scat Pack, 1996 Rx-7
You should pop in there and say “it’s still there. How much money are you losing a month on that?”
?
Yeah, it's tempting. I'm guessing that they really don't care about selling them, though. The lot lizard I talked to kept trying to convince me to buy a used one that they had, after the very first thing I said was "I have zero interest in a used car, I only buy new." I suspect that they are selling a lot of Mustangs as special orders, and have those on the floor as demos. They'll get serious about selling them when the new model year shows up.

That particular dealership has a decent service department, though, so I would buy a car from them if they were willing to cut a reasonable deal.

trackratZ

First Name
August
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
240Z RB26DETT,Glady Rubi, Model Y LR, 987 Cayman S
Occupation
Software security
That particular dealership has a decent service department, though, so I would buy a car from them if they were willing to cut a reasonable deal.
Same case with my Nissan dealer where I've had GREAT experience with the service dept, great guys, never pushed repairs, consistent work. Not the same with the Sales dept, so many uninformed workers there when asked about the Z, they have a few Nissans in the showroom with outrageous ADMs. Today's market is nuts!!

My hope is with recommendations from Service, I could get better pricing when the Z allocations come out, will see....