Does anyone have a Z yet?

takemorepills

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Q60
I was unable to find anyone who would sell at MSRP for ANY model (sport, performance or Proto). I was quoted 10K even 15K over sticker repeatedly until I secured the deal I got. I can assure you I'm no "dealer" or employee. Did I get the best "value for my money" probably not....but I dont care. I could just as easily flip it and turn a profit, but I don't care about that either. Id much rather enjoy owning one and driving it.

Dont bash anyone who purchased over MSRP. There are people that spend 7-15K on a SUMMER VACATION or family getaway!!! To some of us, its not about waving money around, or that money doesn't matter, or anything like that - its that we determined the extra price was worth it to enjoy the car now. Im hopeful for everyone that has waited so long that the car comes down in price. I hope you are able to secure one at MSRP or UNDER for that matter. And when that happens.....I wont be upset that you got a better deal than me. I will be happy! Happy I have been able to enjoy the car during that time AND happy that you are getting to enjoy yours now. There are simply not enough of these things to go around at this time.
I'm not "bashing" anyone.
It's your money to do with as you see fit.
I'm just asking people if we could simmer down on the "$10k seems like a good deal" rhetoric.
I'm being nice by presuming those saying that might be dealers, that's definitely not bashing.
You don't need to defend yourself from some random people in the internet, because many of us don't want to hear why it's acceptable to pay more than you should for something.

mtjohnson

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2024 BMW M240i, 2019 Alfa Romeo Giulia
ā€¦ā€¦as Iā€™m sure many of us donā€™t want to hear what is and isnā€™t acceptable to pay. Thatā€™s completely relative. I do t care what ANYONE thinks is acceptable to pay. Thatā€™s up to to the people paying it.

West Aussie

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Hyundai I20
ā€¦ā€¦as Iā€™m sure many of us donā€™t want to hear what is and isnā€™t acceptable to pay. Thatā€™s completely relative. I do t care what ANYONE thinks is acceptable to pay. Thatā€™s up to to the people paying it.
it isā€¦but itā€™s also an open forum, and people have every right to express their own thoughts
You dont have to like them, but nor should you get upset over them.

If you were to drive said car home tomorrow and it was totalled, your insurance company would not pay the extra mark up value ā€¦.it would be lost
In another year when there are a few more cars available, the car will not only lose the mark up value but another ten k so you lose again.

You are correct, some people do spend that much on a holiday, but you are not lining the pockets of some greedy dealer when you do so, you actually get something for that money. Where as those who pay a ton over sticker price get nothing more than someone who pays MSRP except the ability to drive it a few months earlier and make a dealer rich

But worse still you are normalising mark ups, accepting them and giving said dealers the thumbs up to continue to charge outrageous prices, which in turn sees them continuing the practice

You have every right to do what you want with your money, but others have every right to protest about ridiculous mark ups and those who enable them as it affects their ability to buy and how much of their money they have to give away for nothing

And before you come at meā€¦none of this affects me as Iā€™m in Aus where itā€™s illegal to sell above sticker, but understand itā€™s a forum and everyone has a right to express their opinion

takemorepills

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Q60
This last 3 years have been really difficult.
It has given dealers to opportunity to greatly increase per-unit profits.

Things are finally stabilizing, but you can bet dealers will milk this as long as possible.

You are damn right it's your money, I never, ever said y'all made a bad decision. I have consistently suggested to please dial it down a bit, if only to keep the"wolves" from finding further justification to continue asking high prices. I only suggested some of y'all might be dealers, don't take it so personally.

mtjohnson

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Gentlemen - I think we just see this differently and that is perfectly ok.

Yes, people actually get something out of family vacations, but the counter argument here would be at which point? Itā€™s a slippery slope to start saying this should cost ā€œx or yā€. Is a good family vacation 2k? 5k 15k? Is the person paying 15k getting 3 times the vacation as the person paying 5?
My only point is - to me, I AM getting something for the money. The fun and enjoyment of owning a car that brings back memories of the Z I had right out of college. Getting to enjoy that sooner rather that later, IS something more than just someone that pays MSRP. Case in pointā€¦.there isnā€™t anyone in my market that has one BECAUSE dealers arenā€™t selling them at MSRP.
I hope that they do soon. I know times have been rough for many these three years. Thatā€™s not lost on me.
Apologies for a terse response.
I just think itā€™s two sides of the same coin

West Aussie

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Hyundai I20
Gentlemen - I think we just see this differently and that is perfectly ok.

Yes, people actually get something out of family vacations, but the counter argument here would be at which point? Itā€™s a slippery slope to start saying this should cost ā€œx or yā€. Is a good family vacation 2k? 5k 15k? Is the person paying 15k getting 3 times the vacation as the person paying 5?
My only point is - to me, I AM getting something for the money. The fun and enjoyment of owning a car that brings back memories of the Z I had right out of college. Getting to enjoy that sooner rather that later, IS something more than just someone that pays MSRP. Case in pointā€¦.there isnā€™t anyone in my market that has one BECAUSE dealers arenā€™t selling them at MSRP.
I hope that they do soon. I know times have been rough for many these three years. Thatā€™s not lost on me.
Apologies for a terse response.
I just think itā€™s two sides of the same coin
Except they are.., there are people on this very forum that have paid MSRP, and if people stopped caving and giving their money away for free, there would be a heck of a lot more.

Most people will not spend 10k on a holiday for 1 personā€¦thatā€™s a family holiday right there, itā€™s a deposit for a house, itā€™s a years worth of groceries ā€¦

You would still get the same fun and enjoyment of owning the car if you waited six months..in fact Iā€™m guessing you would get far more enjoyment because you would save yourself ten k and your whole family could go on a cruise as well as having the car

You are correct we wonā€™t see eye to eye, but the purpose for my rant was more to sayā€¦donā€™t get upset just because people have different views. Your choices have real consequences for others in the market so they have as much right to voice their opinions as anyoneā€¦itā€™s not an attack, itā€™s not telling you what to doā€¦.itā€™s simply their opinion

As mentioned mark ups donā€™t affect me, itā€™s unbelievable to an Australian that anyone would pay even a $1 more than what something is worth

mtjohnson

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Except they are.., there are people on this very forum that have paid MSRP, and if people stopped caving and giving their money away for free, there would be a heck of a lot more.

Most people will not spend 10k on a holiday for 1 personā€¦thatā€™s a family holiday right there, itā€™s a deposit for a house, itā€™s a years worth of groceries ā€¦

You would still get the same fun and enjoyment of owning the car if you waited six months..in fact Iā€™m guessing you would get far more enjoyment because you would save yourself ten k and your whole family could go on a cruise as well as having the car

You are correct we wonā€™t see eye to eye, but the purpose for my rant was more to sayā€¦donā€™t get upset just because people have different views. Your choices have real consequences for others in the market so they have as much right to voice their opinions as anyoneā€¦itā€™s not an attack, itā€™s not telling you what to doā€¦.itā€™s simply their opinion

As mentioned mark ups donā€™t affect me, itā€™s unbelievable to an Australian that anyone would pay even a $1 more than what something is worth
I understand that itā€™s an opinion as is mine. I truly do wish all those hunting the best of luck in finding the Z they want at whatever price they feel comfortable paying.
I would have gladly paid MSRP if I could have found a single dealer willing to part with one at MSRP in a 300 mile radius. Being that my markup was smaller than what most are seeing ā€¦AND there were no hidden fees, or outrageous dealer prep packages, I felt it was fair.Iā€™d love to hear from some people that have cars in hand they have been able to get at sticker and to those folks BIG Congrats!!!!

Soooā€¦ would I enjoy the car if I waited 6 months? Sure! But Iā€™d rather enjoy the car now than wait another half year and ā€œmaybeā€ get one. Would I pay what equates to roughly an extra $800 for each month to enjoy it now vs waiting another 6 months? In a heartbeat. I think they will continue to be scarce for a while longer but I hope Iā€™m wrong for all of those Z fans searching.
Iā€™m sure I just read the original post wrong. Iā€™m not one to just look for fights on message boards. I came here to share my joy in finding one with like minded people. That is all.
I also agree that 10k above retail is egregious! But everything is a matter of supply and demandā€¦from game systems, to concert tickets, to housesā€¦the price is what the market says it is.
But I also understand how someone wanting one at retail can be upset thinking people are keeping the prices high by buying themā€¦(so perhaps we can see eye to eye). I just donā€™t see that changing anytime soon.

takemorepills

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Q60
I hope these Z's aren't rare, that will cause major issues in the future when parts become hard to find, donor cars are rare, and values stay way too high due to low overall production numbers.

trackratZ

First Name
August
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
240Z RB26DETT,Glady Rubi, Model Y LR, 987 Cayman S
Occupation
Software security
I understand that itā€™s an opinion as is mine. I truly do wish all those hunting the best of luck in finding the Z they want at whatever price they feel comfortable paying.
I would have gladly paid MSRP if I could have found a single dealer willing to part with one at MSRP in a 300 mile radius. Being that my markup was smaller than what most are seeing ā€¦AND there were no hidden fees, or outrageous dealer prep packages, I felt it was fair.Iā€™d love to hear from some people that have cars in hand they have been able to get at sticker and to those folks BIG Congrats!!!!

Soooā€¦ would I enjoy the car if I waited 6 months? Sure! But Iā€™d rather enjoy the car now than wait another half year and ā€œmaybeā€ get one. Would I pay what equates to roughly an extra $800 for each month to enjoy it now vs waiting another 6 months? In a heartbeat. I think they will continue to be scarce for a while longer but I hope Iā€™m wrong for all of those Z fans searching.
Iā€™m sure I just read the original post wrong. Iā€™m not one to just look for fights on message boards. I came here to share my joy in finding one with like minded people. That is all.
I also agree that 10k above retail is egregious! But everything is a matter of supply and demandā€¦from game systems, to concert tickets, to housesā€¦the price is what the market says it is.
But I also understand how someone wanting one at retail can be upset thinking people are keeping the prices high by buying themā€¦(so perhaps we can see eye to eye). I just donā€™t see that changing anytime soon.
Hey, the way things are here in the US, you, @Jtut22 and others that have actually bought a Z to drive and enjoy need not apologize to us here in the forum. Can we just enjoy their sharing of new rides here? Pics, upgrades, personal reviews (likes, dislikes), it's about the car! There was a buyer that already gave a personal review (non-You tuber), that was good to know.

We know dealerships are playing dirty games but also know the situation today (low production numbers, recalls, etc), let's not knock those that are actually driving the Z now. About MSRP and add-ons, as long as you negotiate the best you can, hey, it's still a win and yes it's their money to afford spending. Those upset about 'MSRP or get lost', wait until you can get one when supply catches up, period. It's not siding with dealers it's about the negotiations that can come to the best scenario between buyer and dealer. I think a few HAVE walked away with MSRP. The only buyers I'm miffed about are those that come in and immed buys AT the markup price, that's totally absurd for what the Z really is, we all know that!

takemorepills

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Q60
Hey, the way things are here in the US, you, @Jtut22 and others that have actually bought a Z to drive and enjoy need not apologize to us here in the forum. Can we just enjoy their sharing of new rides here? Pics, upgrades, personal reviews (likes, dislikes), it's about the car! There was a buyer that already gave a personal review (non-You tuber), that was good to know.

We know dealerships are playing dirty games but also know the situation today (low production numbers, recalls, etc), let's not knock those that are actually driving the Z now. About MSRP and add-ons, as long as you negotiate the best you can, hey, it's still a win and yes it's their money to afford spending. Those upset about 'MSRP or get lost', wait until you can get one when supply catches up, period. It's not siding with dealers it's about the negotiations that can come to the best scenario between buyer and dealer. I think a few HAVE walked away with MSRP. The only buyers I'm miffed about are those that come in and immed buys AT the markup price, that's totally absurd for what the Z really is, we all know that!
Almost none of us are demanding an "apology" or criticizing someone's financial decision. I certainly did not (I think you are referring to me, I'm the most vocal about markups).
If you look at everything I said, I never said someone made a bad decision with their money.

I'm basically saying "please stop stinking the place up with these $5/10K over markups seem fair, or a good deal".

I feel like there should be a forum rule, no over-MSRP talk in the open. Take it to PM. Let's do something, come on....we banned discussions about vaccines and facemasks on here, because some felt it could hurt other people or provide a place for the wrong message to be amplified.
IMO having a forum where some members are enthusiastic about "only $5K over" is providing a place to amplify a wrong message too....

That in no way is a statement against those who pay over MSRP (although I have seen that sentiment occasionally, but not from me)

If the dealerships are watching enthusiast forums, do we really want to amplify the "over MSRP is OK" faction?
I know that once a Z sits on a lot too long, the dealerships will eventually come down, but prior to that they will feel entitled to hassling you over price, especially if they are using a forum as their basis.

What's wrong with the sentiment of doing everything we can to cool the dealerships down? These cars should be transacting for under MSRP....

JohnNYC

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2011 Mercedes E350 bluetec. 2023 Nissan Z
I'm new to this forum. I joined in order to share my new Z experience and yours with you all on this community forum of like-minded Z enthusiasts. This thread has unfortunately taken a wrong turn somewhere along the line. I do not see anything wrong with asking whether lucky buyers paid MSRP or dealer markup. I do not agree with the idea to censure such information either.

I had been trying to buy a 2023 Honda Civic Type R since November when they started hitting dealerships in the USA. My long term goal was to wait for the Nissan Z Nismo-edition, I did not intend to buy a 2023 Nissan Z. However, and for those of you who are offended by Nissan dealerships in the US asking mark-up, this is nothing compared to the feeding frenzy to buy a Civic Type R. The mark-up on Type R is $20,000+ USD, everywhere! Trust me, I called every single dealership from Maine to Delaware. Same story. I kept my cool, I didn't like it, but it is what it is. I certainly don't blame the dealerships. I blame buyers, as long as buyers are willing to pay these mark-ups on the Type R, those are going to be the prices. Going back to the Nissan Z I ended up buying on January 24th. Again, I wasn't planning to buy a Z, I was waiting for Nissan to announce plans for the Z Nismo-edition. One day I was just goofing off on car gurus, and having read some initial articles on the Z Proto Spec going with as much as $87,000 mark-up, I was curious to see what mark-ups, if any, a regular Nissan Z would have attached to it. I stumbled quite by accident on the Nissan Z I ended up buying. I tried every negotiating trick I could, and ultimately I felt relieved that the mark-up the Z was no where near what was being asked for the Civic Type R. I feel like a got an amazing deal, I have a beautiful Nissan Z with a biturbo V6 and 6 speed, wow, so amazing, and I paid less for it than I would for a Type R, a flippin' "Civic". I also bought all the protection packages from Nissan, wheels/tires, prepaid maintenance, and extended warranty out to 84 months. All of which are fully refundable of the unused portions should I trade/sell the new Nissan Z. Once information comes out on the Nissan Z Nismo-edition, you can bet I'll back at the dealership! Not to be flip, but if the current market issues are around at that time, there will be mark-ups on the Nismo-edition, too. You can bet on that.

I couldn't be happier, I feel I got a great deal, and I'm currently waiting patiently on my car spa to complete the PPF wrap on it so I can drive it without fear of getting paint chips or scratches while on the road.

JohnNYC

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2011 Mercedes E350 bluetec. 2023 Nissan Z
I'm new to this forum. I joined in order to share my new Z experience and yours with you all on this community forum of like-minded Z enthusiasts. This thread has unfortunately taken a wrong turn somewhere along the line. I do not see anything wrong with asking whether lucky buyers paid MSRP or dealer markup. I do not agree with the idea to censure such information either.

I had been trying to buy a 2023 Honda Civic Type R since November when they started hitting dealerships in the USA. My long term goal was to wait for the Nissan Z Nismo-edition, I did not intend to buy a 2023 Nissan Z. However, and for those of you who are offended by Nissan dealerships in the US asking mark-up, this is nothing compared to the feeding frenzy to buy a Civic Type R. The mark-up on Type R is $20,000+ USD, everywhere! Trust me, I called every single dealership from Maine to Delaware. Same story. I kept my cool, I didn't like it, but it is what it is. I certainly don't blame the dealerships. I blame buyers, as long as buyers are willing to pay these mark-ups on the Type R, those are going to be the prices. Going back to the Nissan Z I ended up buying on January 24th. Again, I wasn't planning to buy a Z, I was waiting for Nissan to announce plans for the Z Nismo-edition. One day I was just goofing off on car gurus, and having read some initial articles on the Z Proto Spec going with as much as $87,000 mark-up, I was curious to see what mark-ups, if any, a regular Nissan Z would have attached to it. I stumbled quite by accident on the Nissan Z I ended up buying. I tried every negotiating trick I could, and ultimately I felt relieved that the mark-up the Z was no where near what was being asked for the Civic Type R. I feel like a got an amazing deal, I have a beautiful Nissan Z with a biturbo V6 and 6 speed, wow, so amazing, and I paid less for it than I would for a Type R, a flippin' "Civic". I also bought all the protection packages from Nissan, wheels/tires, prepaid maintenance, and extended warranty out to 84 months. All of which are fully refundable of the unused portions should I trade/sell the new Nissan Z. Once information comes out on the Nissan Z Nismo-edition, you can bet I'll back at the dealership! Not to be flip, but if the current market issues are around at that time, there will be mark-ups on the Nismo-edition, too. You can bet on that.

I couldn't be happier, I feel I got a great deal, and I'm currently waiting patiently on my car spa to complete the PPF wrap on it so I can drive it without fear of getting paint chips or scratches while on the road.
The only part left are the rocker panels and the front bumper! Otherwise the new Z is making great progress on the PPF wrap!

IMG_4596.jpeg

IMG_4597.jpeg

trackratZ

First Name
August
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
240Z RB26DETT,Glady Rubi, Model Y LR, 987 Cayman S
Occupation
Software security
Yep, let's not make 'MSRP', 'pricing', 'mark-ups' be the main discussion here. And people, don't ask 'How much did you get it for??' Not relevant in these times.

Concentrate on the new ownership and enjoyment of it, huh?! Buyers DO share what your trip, upgrades, other, plans are?